C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to install transmission pan drain how to?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:13 PM
cargo247
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to install transmission pan drain how to?

Hi all
Has anyone installed a drain? If so what did you use and how did you do it.

I know you drilled a hole and put a plug in it …..lol

But what hardware did you use i.e. , a nut , with plug what kind of thread for the nut? What size of plug? Where on the pan did you put it? What kind of metal did you use? Brass or steel?

Anyone have pictures?

I have an 81 auto
thanks
Todd
Old 04-30-2008, 06:54 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Most autoparts stores should have a kit for doing this for about $5, if not, check out Summit I know B&M has a kit.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

another way is to just replace it with a finned, aluminum one with the drain plug already in. I was going to install one and got to looking at how beat up the pan was compared to the new underbody I had just finished and got one from Summit for about 50 bucks.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:16 PM
76projectstingray
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

L82shark, did you go with a deeper pan? I have a th400 trans and was thinking of putting in the finned deeper pan for cooling, but i want to go to dual exaust and it sounds like its hard to get the exaust around a th400 pan as it is.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:44 PM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Todd, Canadian Tire in Newmarket has a B&M kit. It's around 9 dollars. I have this installed on all my cars. Makes draining a breeze.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I have a chromed steel pan with a drain on mine. Drains just like an oil pan.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:42 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Been driving near 1/2 a century, and fail to see the need....when you change the fluids you need change the filter also....so buy a ten buck Lowes Depot concrete mixing tray....about 2x3' and ~8" deep...that catches the fluids.....and if you going to work on it, having that large pan under there is a nice help to catch more fluids than that when you drop the brain off the case....

you WANT to look in the pan for wear pattern stuff, fragments, clean the magnets...etc....

Old 05-02-2008, 06:59 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Why? You don't change fluid unless you change the filter too...and you have to pull the pan for that.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:16 PM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Why? You don't change fluid unless you change the filter too...and you have to pull the pan for that.
I suppose it's a question of just how much fluid you want to have dumped in your face when you drop the oil pan.....

Steve
Old 05-02-2008, 07:43 PM
cargo247
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steve's74
I suppose it's a question of just how much fluid you want to have dumped in your face when you drop the oil pan.....

Steve
And thats exactly what happened oil all over the place, as i took the pan down it slipped oil all over me up the nose good thing i had my safety glasses on.
any how its done! drilled the hole got a pipe fitting coupling cut it in half welded inside and out painted put the brass plug in!
and installed about an 1 hour ago and its holding oil.
The reason i want a drain is at this time i have replaced just a few seals and if one should start to drip and laying on my back this would be so much better than hoping the pan does not fall.

Will take pic tomorrow and post.
Todd
Old 05-02-2008, 07:48 PM
cargo247
Drifting

Originally Posted by desi
Todd, Canadian Tire in Newmarket has a B&M kit. It's around 9 dollars. I have this installed on all my cars. Makes draining a breeze.
Hey thanks desi

i went to CT in richmond hill they had no idea what i was talking about
so i thought that no CT had it.
good to know .

thanks
Todd
Old 05-03-2008, 03:19 AM
desi
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the CT are crap, but the NM one is pretty good. I have also ordered lots of parts through "special order" and never had any problems. The main reason is that they mostly have full time employees in automotive there, not students.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:09 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by cargo247
And thats exactly what happened oil all over the place, as i took the pan down it slipped oil all over me up the nose good thing i had my safety glasses on.
any how its done! drilled the hole got a pipe fitting coupling cut it in half welded inside and out painted put the brass plug in!
and installed about an 1 hour ago and its holding oil.
The reason i want a drain is at this time i have replaced just a few seals and if one should start to drip and laying on my back this would be so much better than hoping the pan does not fall.

Will take pic tomorrow and post.
Todd
...SOP for a beginner, the pattern on any pan is the key with a bit of thought....I allways release the edge wit the most clearance on it first....take out all the bolts except two on the opposite edge, those are left about 1/2 way out, pulling all the rest, if the pan wants to drop, just hold it as the last bolt comes off the dropping edge...let it fall and most of the fluid comes into the drain pan....the tranny pan goes nowhere as two opposite loose bolts hold it, then release them also, and the pan is yours....simple, really nary a drop on the floor,

Old 05-03-2008, 11:52 AM
cargo247
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrvette
...SOP for a beginner, the pattern on any pan is the key with a bit of thought....I allways release the edge wit the most clearance on it first....take out all the bolts except two on the opposite edge, those are left about 1/2 way out, pulling all the rest, if the pan wants to drop, just hold it as the last bolt comes off the dropping edge...let it fall and most of the fluid comes into the drain pan....the tranny pan goes nowhere as two opposite loose bolts hold it, then release them also, and the pan is yours....simple, really nary a drop on the floor,

Thanks and thats what i did but.... i wont have to worry about that now drains in. post pic later.
Todd
Old 05-03-2008, 02:17 PM
cargo247
Drifting

Pics

the red around the plug is thread lock

Todd

Last edited by cargo247; 05-03-2008 at 02:19 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Want to install transmission pan drain how to?

Quick Reply: Want to install transmission pan drain how to?