C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lubing turn signal arm?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 12:05 PM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09
Default Lubing turn signal arm?

Maybe I'm spoiled with my DD being a newer/modern vehicle. Anyways, is there a way to lube or loosen up the turn signal arm especially for the lane change (press & hold) position? It seems to take almost the full pressure amount that is needed to push it past the click point. Really don't want to have to tear into the column though.

It is a '78 with T&T column.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:24 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

There are two flat springs on the turn signal switch itself that detent into grooves for the lane change feature. Placing some grease on the detent positions would be the only thing that I can think of the might reduce the effort for your lane change.

They are located just above the hazard warning button on the switch. You won't have to remove the switch from your T&T column but you will have to remove the steering wheel, hub, locking plate, spring, and cancelling cam to lubricate them.

There is also what is called a "cross-over arm" that connects the turn signal switch itself to the turn signal and dimmer pivot unit (the thing that your turn signal lever plugs into). The arm has a small roller on it that could probably use some grease as well. It is held in place by a single screw. You can get at it at the same time that you have access to the flat springs.

Jim
Old 04-30-2008, 04:28 PM
BTAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

Jim, I was hoping you would see being the resident expert in steering columns (among other things). Thank you for the detailed info and pic.

This is the part of your post that I was hoping not to see... "you will have to remove the steering wheel, hub, locking plate, spring, and cancelling cam to lubricate them".
Old 05-01-2008, 08:22 AM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a big deal to remove that stuff. You need a phillips head screw driver and a set of allen keys...Take a part and put back together in less than 30 min. Dont forget to becarefull when removing the horn contact spring. Its easy to lose the plastic piece on the end of the spring. Other than that its simple....
Old 05-01-2008, 04:37 PM
BTAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09

bluesilver82, thanks. Obviously I need to read/research how that is assembled. I was assuming that I would at least need to use a steering wheel puller. Have already had the cap and ring off to fix the horn button spring/contact, so am aware of how that little part works.
Old 05-01-2008, 04:40 PM
bluesilver82
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the steering wheel is held on by several allen head bolts and thats it.

Get notified of new replies

To Lubing turn signal arm?

Quick Reply: Lubing turn signal arm?