C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1981 Engine Wiring Harness Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 06:56 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by 81cali
[/B]

I did this and now my problem is, how can I tell which is on or off to lockup the converter???
Locking the converter should cause your RPM to drop by about 150 at cruising speed.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:58 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by nate99
This must be why my exhaust will make your eyes water, and why the previous owner had trouble getting the timing just right.

A previous owner installed headers with no provision for O2 sensors, so I think that I am probably S.O.L. until I scrap the whole setup, which was my plan anyway. I guess that I'll probably do that before the paint/interior now...
If the O2 sensor was the only thing missing, it would be pretty easy to weld a bung to the header collector and installing an O2 sensor. I kind of get the impression that this isn't the only thing missing
Old 04-23-2008, 09:52 PM
81cali
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Locking the converter should cause your RPM to drop by about 150 at cruising speed.
First of all, my apologies to Nate, don't mean to rub your thread.

CA-Legal,
I guess this is dumb but how do I do this? (flip the switch at about 50mph up and down?) will I feel the drop right away?
Old 04-24-2008, 08:28 AM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
If the O2 sensor was the only thing missing, it would be pretty easy to weld a bung to the header collector and installing an O2 sensor. I kind of get the impression that this isn't the only thing missing
Your impression is correct. I wouldn't trust much of any of it to be hooked up correctly anymore if in fact it is still there at all.

My plan was always to register as an antique and avoid any such issues with registration, but our regs here in Texas are less stringent than what you have to deal with in California.

After I get the suspension sorted out, I'll press on with the engine and basically start from scratch.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:29 AM
nate99
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

CA-Legal,
I guess this is dumb but how do I do this? (flip the switch at about 50mph up and down?) will I feel the drop right away?

Not a problem, this is info that I will probably need as well.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:00 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

CA-Legal,
You have it exactly right. The change in RPM should be pretty close to instant. If it isn't, the issue could be electrical or a worn lock up clutch from being on all the time. I've never seen what the clutch in the converter actually looks like, but I never got the impression that it was very robust. Probably wouldn't take too much to wear it out.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 PM
81cali
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks! We used the car without putting the switch and maybe that's what caused it. Since after installation of switch, there was no difference whether it was on or off.

Quick Reply: 1981 Engine Wiring Harness Question