C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Something killing my battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:45 PM
awest5321
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Something killing my battery

I have something draining the battery on my 75 vette. No interior lights are on-all functioning fine, and the key switch is turned off but if I leave my battery connected for as little as 3 days I will have a dead battery. I am not driving the car yet but work on it 3-4 time a week and crank it at least twice a week. Alternator is brand new and working fine, battery is brand new-the third one I have installed because of this situation. How do I go about troubleshooting to solve this problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:50 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by awest5321
I have something draining the battery on my 75 vette. No interior lights are on-all functioning fine, and the key switch is turned off but if I leave my battery connected for as little as 3 days I will have a dead battery. I am not driving the car yet but work on it 3-4 time a week and crank it at least twice a week. Alternator is brand new and working fine, battery is brand new-the third one I have installed because of this situation. How do I go about troubleshooting to solve this problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Pull the courtesy , clock fuse and recheck.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:40 AM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Disconnect the battery lead and run an ammeter in between the battery and the battery lead. If you have a draw it will register amperage. Leave it connected and pull individual fuses, checking ammeter as you pull fuses. When the amperage goes to 0 you have found the circuit with the draw. Troubleshoot that circuit.

If all fuses are removed aand you still show a draw, then you have an issue with cables/wiring that are not fused.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:20 PM
PETKAH
Safety Car

Another thought - take the bulb completely out of the center glove box. And check the battery connections with a flashlite - the connections may seem tight because of heavy cables but perhaps not making full contact.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:21 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 365 Likes on 252 Posts

I had the same problem on my 76. First I installed a battery kill switch so I could save my battery. After many hrs tracking this problem ,it was the original horn for the alarm.If you have the same ,86 the horn. Might be your problem too.
Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 AM
stingraydriver74
Instructor

theres soo many things it could be. alarm, clock, lights, etc etc. some get lucky and find it, some don't. I have been searching for years on mine but couldn't find it even after eliminating all the known suspects. I finally installed a master switch and couldn't be happier. even ran a jumper wire to the radio to save my presets anyway thats my suggestion. jegs has a great master toggle switch for $20 and its much more practical than the screw together types.

Brad
Old 04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
thrilher
Racer

if i have a battery drain i wouldn't know because i put a switch in my ground wire and i cut power from the battery off when vette is parked for extended periods and this includes overnight.I bought this battery in 1999 and it sat from November last year til last week about March 24th,as with every other year prior, flipped the switch and it turned over strong for about 7 seconds til the car fired up.i see alot of posts concerning this so i think this was a good investment,also a thief would have to reroute my wiring before he stold my car.

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Something killing my battery

Quick Reply: HELP! Something killing my battery