C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooker side pipes exhuast leak too loud. What mufflers do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Syco79
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hooker side pipes exhuast leak too loud. What mufflers do you recommend?

Im running hooker side pipes with glass packs it has a nasty little tick where the pipe meets the collector it seems to leak. Always a black ring around it looks crummy and sounds ****ty . Here is a video

Now it don't sound too bad but it has a ratty tick as you can hear. I was told its because the mufflers are too restrictive but they are glass packs . Anyway im looking to fix the leak and maybe replace the mufflers with something less restrictive and nice sound though nothing louder these are hard on my ears
Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 PM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the reverse flow baffles and since a short period of time I have the same problem, but only on the drivers side. You can see the restriction of the baffles I have on the picture below by the way.

Since passenger side is fine and I didn't have any header leak before I took the pipe off when changing my heads I'd say it's not totally a pressure matter. Us taking of the pipe took quite some force and as a result of the wiggling left and right it became more oval than round I guess. We tightent the pipe bolt as much as we could and then hammered around the pipe to shape it up a little. This helped, but not too much.

Long story short:

Old 03-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 276 Likes on 233 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

The best side pipe mufflers are JCL's turbo baffles. Here is his site.

http://www.spiralturbobaffles.com/
Old 03-28-2008, 08:17 PM
Syco79
Racer

I think I may go for the spiral baffles how do they sound the glass packs are too loud for me.

Worship did u end up fixing the leak? Mines the same way just one side the other one has a slight leak but not really noticeable makes it a real bitch to clean and sounds crappy.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:53 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the Hooker Maxflo's you will not be disappointed.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 PM
wrc69v
Instructor

The spiral inserts are the only way to go and not loose power if you are running a high HP engine. The downside is that they are as loud if not louder than glass packs. I have been working on a solution for a month now trying to quiet my big block with out killing power, my current solution is a 3" x 32" glass pack with steal wool packing and a car chemisrtry 2 disk insert in the collector, it is as quiet as the 2" glasspack from hooker but its killing some power with the 2 disk insert.

As for the leaky header, not to be the one with bad news, it needs to be replaced if its chrome. I had a leaky one aswell and there is no way to weld it. Look on ebay for another set cheap.
Good Luck!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:16 AM
worship79
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Syco79: Nope, did not fix the leak yet, managed to reduce it, but it's still there on the bottom. Thinking of hammering it some more after a long drive. Bend it when it's hot

wrc69v: the leak is where the pipe slips over the collector. With the engine running you can feel puffs of exhaust escaping from the pipe edges.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Fscott
Instructor

I had the same problem with mine. I went to a local speed shop and bought some 4 inch wrap around muffler clamps...chrome with a 2 bolt flange. Problem solved.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:12 AM
RippoDippo
Instructor

Got my H-headers used and they wll need to be refinished.
Before that will fit and test.
Anyone ever weld pipes to headers? can they be removed reinstall if this is done?
Option of servicing STS baffles would be gone! Hmmm?
Old 03-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Laffinlex6
Advanced

Go down to your local parts store & buy a tube of Permatex ultra copper or red silicon. Put a few beads over the surface area of the collector, slide your side pipe back on. Make sure you have the silicon thick enough to fill any voids. When you push it over, it'll ooze out everywhere. Wipe the excess off with Prepsol or Bug & Tar Remover. Let it dry overnight so it can set up well before you start the car.

Dean
Old 03-30-2008, 08:37 PM
wrc69v
Instructor

The problem i ran into trying to fix my first set of leaky headers was that they are chrome nad you would need to grind away the crome then weld the area, which obviously will not be chrome when your done.

The other problem i ran into is that it usually leaks in the middle of where the four pipes come together in the collector, if you could get a welding gun and wire into the collector to the middle of where the pipes come together you may be able to fix it?
Good Luck, My bet would be on another set off ebay!
Old 03-31-2008, 01:50 PM
scottred80
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

Love my Max Flows
Originally Posted by supervette77
Old 03-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 260 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by supervette77
If the Hooker glasspacks are to loud for you, the Maxflows will hurt your ears.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 614 Likes on 369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I'm using the 3" core version of these. I like em!!!!!

"Sidepipe Insert Mufflers - popular on Corvettes & some Cobras.
The expanded ends slip just inside a 4" OD sidepipe - slots cut into each end can be tweaked slightly in order to keep constant tension against the inside of the sidepipe during exhaust heating & cooling cycles. This eliminates rattling & loose fits. Now you can have the unique chambered sound & superior flow through your sidepipes.
NOTE: 2.5" core versions are quieter than 3" core versions.
*These can be made in different lengths as well - inquire."

Sidepipe Insert Muffler
IN/OUT PART# CORE BODY DIA. BODY LENGTH OA LENGTH
4" 2530-IN 2-1/2" 3-1/2" 26" 33-1/4"
4" 3030-IN 3" 3-1/2" 26" 33-1/4"

http://www.classicchambered.com/index.html

Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 PM
Syco79
Racer

some good ideas I think the Permatex silicon will be a perfect fix just need new mufflers before I do it. I would imagine it wont be easy to take off. My pipes are jet hot coated not that it matters much
Old 04-01-2008, 01:47 AM
wrc69v
Instructor

Come to think of it, I might have an extra SBC Hooker sidepipe header I would be willing to sell. Its chrome, I have both sides but the pipe got stuck on one and i had to cut the collector to get it off. I will have to check and be sure that the collector is in sound shape so you are not in the same position.
PM me if you are interested and let me know what side you need. Any luck and it will be a match.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 AM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good stuff in this thread. Any way to keep the sidepipe from sticking to the headers? Never-Seez maybe??

Get notified of new replies

To Hooker side pipes exhuast leak too loud. What mufflers do you recommend?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:25 AM
wrc69v
Instructor

Usually i will wait untill the next day after driving if i need to pull of the side tubes, which i have had to do more times than i want to remember-i take my propane torch and head up the slip on tubes (only the area around the collector ) untill you stop hearing the metal expand, its a slight cracking noise. Then with a pair of very grippy leather mechanics gloves just tug and wiggle the pipes and they eventually inch loose. Try to keep your doors open when you are pulling the pipes off seems to give you more leverage.
It is never easy and I bitch about it the whole time
Old 04-01-2008, 08:03 PM
Doug70vert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the JCL baffles certainly will have the least restriction, but if you're worried about the noise then you'll want to use something else.

I love mine, but they do sing a song.

Last edited by Doug70vert; 04-01-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:47 PM
S489
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doug70vert, are those 4" clamps with a step? if so, where did you find them? thanks . . .

Quick Reply: Hooker side pipes exhuast leak too loud. What mufflers do you recommend?