C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1972 Softop renewal - any experiencew with ww.convertibletopguys.com??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 06:38 AM
V8yunkie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1972 Softop renewal - any experiencew with ww.convertibletopguys.com??

Found this link on the web... ww.convertibletopguys.com

Does anybody have good or bad experience with their products and services?

I am thinking about the Stayfast canvas...

They also supply a manual with their kits - does it help?

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards from Germany,
Thomas
Old 03-14-2008, 01:13 PM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by V8yunkie
Found this link on the web... ww.convertibletopguys.com

Does anybody have good or bad experience with their products and services?

I am thinking about the Stayfast canvas...

They also supply a manual with their kits - does it help?

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks and regards from Germany,
Thomas
I need to do this to and have not decided to tackle it myself or not. Here is a bump for you. Hopefully we can get some feedback.

Wade
Old 03-14-2008, 03:14 PM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy your top from forum supporting vendor Al Knoch. Top quality, reasonable price, they even sell the video on how to install the top.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:47 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by 71rdster
Buy your top from forum supporting vendor Al Knoch. Top quality, reasonable price, they even sell the video on how to install the top.
I'll second that. I bought their DVD and watched how they removed and installed a new top. Also, Al Knoch made a point several times referencing the quality of their top. For example, the seams of his top are "electrosealed" instead of being sewn. The old top he was removing was sewn and theirs a problem at the front of the top of water leaking in the sewn tops and rusting the underlying metal. I was impressed that when Al installed his new top, the fit was excellent. He fastened the front of the top with the header pulled a little back from the front of the car, and installed the rear part with the top mechansim a little up in the air. He then latched the front to the windhield top and snapped the rear pins into the lid top and at that point with no adjustments, the top was tight and very smooth. What few wrinkles were there were small and he smoothed them out with a hot air gun. I can't remember, but the DVD cost something like $25.

So far, Im planning on doing the top install myself.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 03-14-2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:28 PM
V8yunkie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No reaction to overseas request from Al Knoch

Well, I know about the good quality reputation of Al Knoch - already have their seat covers in my car. And of course I would pay the little extra to obtain the best quality available.

BUT... it seems that they do not care too much about overseas orders: I have contacted them twice via e-mail and initially via their online-from. NO REPLY AT ALL... very dissapointing! And on of my vendors here in Germany confirmed that working together with them is very unreliable with sometimes really unacceptable delivery times. So he finally gave up.

Reason why I am interested in www.convertibletopguys.com is that they offer Stayfast Canvas - I have asked Al Knoch about this, too BTW (somebody here in the forum stated that Al Knoch also offers those - but nothing on their website I could find).

Maybe this post will wake'em up at Al's...
Old 03-14-2008, 05:51 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 760 Likes on 529 Posts

I bought Al Knocks stayfast top and installed it myself. Top quality. In all I had less than $500 in it including all new weatherstripping. I hope Al Knock gets back to you because his stuff can't be beat.
Al Knock stay fast cloth top installed by yours truly:

Old 03-14-2008, 07:22 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my top and weatherstripping, etc. on ebay. Everything fit and went together okay. I rented the video from Corvette Central and watched it three times. Then I worked slowly, a little each day for three or four afternoons. It came out pretty good for someone who didn't know what they were doing..........

The only thing I would change if I had it to do over would be the tack strips. Mine came with the paper (cardboard) type strips. I think I would have preferred the neoprene strips instead.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:14 AM
ImBatman
Safety Car

Received 161 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by theandies
I bought Al Knocks stayfast top and installed it myself. Top quality. In all I had less than $500 in it including all new weatherstripping. I hope Al Knock gets back to you because his stuff can't be beat.
Al Knock stay fast cloth top installed by yours truly:

You installed that!!!! Dude it looks AWESOME! You did a great job!!.. Did you get your weather stripping from Al Knock as well? Less than $500 is great! I think it was going to be close to a $1000 here to have it done.

Wade

Get notified of new replies

To 1972 Softop renewal - any experiencew with ww.convertibletopguys.com??

Quick Reply: 1972 Softop renewal - any experiencew with ww.convertibletopguys.com??