C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HEI ignition and Compression Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 01:15 PM
chucktn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEI ignition and Compression Test

Can someone send me a link or give advice on how to conduct a compression test with an HEI ignition? I have been told it is the same as any other compression test except that instead of disconnecting the coil wire on a standard dist. you disconnect the wire on the side of the HEI that says BAT. next to the TACH wire. True ?
Old 03-10-2008, 01:38 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chucktn
Can someone send me a link or give advice on how to conduct a compression test with an HEI ignition? I have been told it is the same as any other compression test except that instead of disconnecting the coil wire on a standard dist. you disconnect the wire on the side of the HEI that says BAT. next to the TACH wire. True ?

Yeah that's pretty much it, but I pull both plugs. Don't let that BAT wire get near anything when you take it off..it'll spark if it's near a ground.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:57 PM
ajkogut
Instructor

Its all the same, in principle, don't let HEI or non-HEI even be a consideration. The bottom line is to make sure that the distributor is unhooked so that there is no chance that power will arc to the valve covers or any other metal parts in the vicinity.

Its that simple, just like if you had points, make sure there's no potential for stray sparks and you'll be absolutely fine.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:02 PM
chucktn
Advanced

Default Hei

Would you recommend taping off the connector to prevent any accidental touching or sparking?
Old 03-10-2008, 03:28 PM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Not a bad idea!

Get notified of new replies

To HEI ignition and Compression Test

Quick Reply: HEI ignition and Compression Test