C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raising the front cap...what adjustment do I need to mess with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:22 AM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Raising the front cap...what adjustment do I need to mess with?

The front of my car seems to “dip” down, I know there is an adjustment in the front (radiator support maybe?) that I can shim to lift the front up a bit and close in the upper door gaps some.

I pulled my radiator support several times over the last few years and using a fiberglass bumper cover now (no honeycomb)….didn’t know if that would make a difference.

I do know that I don’t have any shims in the radiator support…

Any ideas or pics on what to adjust?

Thanks!!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was told that you can loosen all the bolts on the side that hold the clip to the core support, lift and support the front clip, and tighten the bolts to re-adjust the front clip.

I have not tried this, but it makes sense.

I'm not really even sure of the best way to lift it...maybe a lifting strap wrapped around the nose, and a cherry picker.

BTW - How far out of Missouri are you? Think you'll make it up this way for the Corvette Cup in Columbia on April 12th? Or maybe even the show up at Lake of the Ozarks?
Old 03-03-2008, 09:46 AM
bojangies46
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
I was told that you can loosen all the bolts on the side that hold the clip to the core support, lift and support the front clip, and tighten the bolts to re-adjust the front clip.

I have not tried this, but it makes sense.

I'm not really even sure of the best way to lift it...maybe a lifting strap wrapped around the nose, and a cherry picker.

BTW - How far out of Missouri are you? Think you'll make it up this way for the Corvette Cup in Columbia on April 12th? Or maybe even the show up at Lake of the Ozarks?
When is the show at the Lake? thanks JON
Old 03-03-2008, 10:12 AM
kevinator80
Drifting

I have been playing with my gaps lately too and need to know the answer to this question.

I think you put a jack under the plate(frame extension) under the nose of the car and raise it there after you loosen the bolts forward inside each fender. I am not sure about that so I didn't try it yet. When I receive my car the body had been removed and some of the bolts/shims were bagged. I still have one large washer/shim that I believe needs to be placed on the mount up front. The problem with this is that when you raise the bumper support the headlights don't move up with it. Correct? So you then have to adjust the headlight buckets. One problem creates two more. Does it ever end?
Old 03-03-2008, 10:48 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

the issue is that you pulled the core support out of the car and probably didn't support the nose of the car while it was out. this will allow the front to droop. I made the same mistake when I pulled the core support out of my '78.

To fix the problem was easy:

1. there are 3 bolts on each side that hold the core support in. loosen but do not remove these bolts.

2. put a floor jack under the core support. I used a piece of 2x4 between the jack and the core support to distribute the load evenly.

3. jack up the support until you get the nose raised enough to even up your gaps and any clearance issues you may be having between the fan shroud and fan blades (on my '78 when I reinstalled everything initially the nose had dropped enough that the fan blades were hitting the fan shroud).

4. once you get the nose where you want it to be tighten the core support bolts back up while the front is still being raised by the floor jack.

5. you MIGHT have to go slightly higher than you want initially because on my car after I tightened the bolts and lowered the jack the nose still dropped down slightly (about 1/16") so I had to go back, raise it back up again slightly higher then where I wanted it to be, retighten the bolts again and when i removed the jack it once again dropped that same 1/16" but now it was just where I needed it to be.

This shouldn't take you much more than 30-45 minutes total.

It's even easier when the front wheels are off but if they are on the car you usually have to turn the steering wheel to move the wheel out of the way to get access to the core support bolts when you loosen and tighten them on each side
Old 03-03-2008, 05:42 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

That makes sense Barry, thanks.

So, by raising the core support the headlights and all move with it? My headlights could stand to be moved up a bit, but not enough for me to worry about it as it sits now.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:01 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

We are about 6 hours from columbia....wish it was a little closer
Old 03-03-2008, 07:04 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BarryK
the issue is that you pulled the core support out of the car and probably didn't support the nose of the car while it was out. this will allow the front to droop. I made the same mistake when I pulled the core support out of my '78.
Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-03-2008, 07:06 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinator80
That makes sense Barry, thanks.

So, by raising the core support the headlights and all move with it? My headlights could stand to be moved up a bit, but not enough for me to worry about it as it sits now.
The headlight bar is mounted to the underside of the front clip, so they will stay in the same position relative to the holes. If they need adjustment there are several on the assemblies to do them. Fix the drooping nose first, let it settle and then do the lights
Old 03-03-2008, 07:12 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
The headlight bar is mounted to the underside of the front clip, so they will stay in the same position relative to the holes. If they need adjustment there are several on the assemblies to do them. Fix the drooping nose first, let it settle and then do the lights

If you have headlight door alignment problems, do them last.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:26 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 287 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Old 03-06-2008, 10:14 AM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

another question, what is the radiator support bolted to? Is there something underneath?

It seems like I used the three side bolts on each side (to the fenders) to support it.....that may be the biggest reason why it's sagging.

I looked underneath and could see any mounting points to the frame. I may have to dig my aim out when I get home tonight.

Good thing is I just installed my new poly body mounts and bolts. Easiest thing I ever done to the car, all the old bolts/rubber came right out and took me about 2-1/2 hours to do with air tools.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:45 AM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Ok....According to the AIM, the radiator support bolts to the frame via the bottom of the three holes on each side.

I feel like an idiot but I know for a fact I don't have a bolt in those holes....just the upper two on each side :thud: I know why....I couldn't get a bolt in them at the time and got lazy

Now all I need to do is jack up the support and slide a bolt in each side and I should be good to go :thumbsup:

Last edited by 1982CorvetteDude; 03-09-2008 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Joe45
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I am getting the jist of this post. Jacking up the core support to close gaps up front, would that create issues with the upper surround bonded to the windshield pillar and possibly create door gap issues?
Learning as I go!
Joe
Old 03-07-2008, 08:57 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe45
Not sure I am getting the jist of this post. Jacking up the core support to close gaps up front, would that create issues with the upper surround bonded to the windshield pillar and possibly create door gap issues?
Learning as I go!
Joe
it won't affect the surround at the windshield.
It WILL affect the gap at the doors but if you need to raise the nose up because it's dropped for one reason or another than the gaps are already messed up from the lowered nose and raising it back up again should now also correct those gaps
Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 AM
bluegtp
Drifting

so which bolts from this diagram do i remove for the adjustment? or which number bolts in the diagram?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:40 AM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bluegtp
so which bolts from this diagram do i remove for the adjustment? or which number bolts in the diagram?
The very bottom ones,

You won't be able to see them unless you remove the side plastic extensions that hold the front outer bumper brace the parking lights bolt into.

On the picture below...# 1 is the bolt you loosen to adjust your radiator support up/down (which raises fron cap to close gap) You loosen the bolt and put a jack under the radiator support and raise it until you get the desired height....then tighten the bolts.

#2 are the two bolts that attach the front frame extension to the frame.....you have adjustment in these also. You loosen these bolts and put a jack under the very front of the frame extension ......loosen these two bolts on each side and use the jack to get the desired height....then re-tighten down.

And lastly don't forget the rubber bushing bewteen the nose and frame extension....sometimes they can deteriorate

Last edited by 1982CorvetteDude; 03-09-2008 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 PM
bluegtp
Drifting

gotcha, thanks for the clarity!

ryan
Old 02-11-2015, 03:50 PM
Primoz
Burning Brakes

Received 269 Likes on 131 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

would this procedure work on 71 vette? I also have the same problem because of my mistake (removing the core) but my doors are aligned OK!

Get notified of new replies

To Raising the front cap...what adjustment do I need to mess with?

Quick Reply: Raising the front cap...what adjustment do I need to mess with?