C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which new manual brakes for my 69 427 ? ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:54 AM
onsturn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which new manual brakes for my 69 427 ? ?

My current calipers look really old and one of them makes a banging sound like a stuck pistion releasing. This only happens once in a while. They are silver in color and stamped DR. Vette so I do not believe they are original. I am thinking of replacing all the calipers. I show the car so I want them to look original in color and be Delco's with rubber hoses. My rotors have a discolored tarnished look. The rears are still riveted. Who is everyone using for original OEM painted caliper's and rotors? I know I want to go with stainless sleaved units. Any other upgrades worth looking in to for stopping this manual brake car better? Adding power brakes is not an option due to the original rebuilt dated master is in the car. Any thoughts on VPB's Thermal Treated Sport Rotors? I could use these without anyone seeing them due to my PO2's wheel covers and the splash shields under the car would hide them. Thanks for any advice
Old 03-02-2008, 12:02 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Your calipers sound like have been rebuilt by Dr. Vette, not sure they are still around but I recall them being from Ohio. They would have stainless sleeved them. The rotors just sound like they have some rust on them. What are the casting numbers on the calipers? My blog has the caliper numbers listed that you need for your car IF you are concerned with them being "correct".

You could rebuild these, exchange them for other rebuilt ones or just out right buy new GM Restoration Delco calipers which are sleeved and you have the choice of O rings or OEM seals. Regardless of who you buy new ones from, they are made by Lonestar caliper.

Last edited by Scott Marzahl; 03-02-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:31 AM
HamadUP
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I bought a set of rear calipers which were rebuilt by Lonestar, and they were nothing but a pieces of junk! .. I noticed that some of the pistons are hard to move in and out, so I disassembled them and found there was A LOT of metal particles (they didnt cleaned them well after the machining) and I found one bore is smaller in size and the piston wont go inside at all. I took them to a local machine shop for additional honing and cleaning.

Lesson learned : I wont buy a rebuilt calipers, I'd rather rebuild them myself.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:00 PM
onsturn
Racer

Scott, I checked out the casting numbers on your blog and mine do not match so I will not mind handing these in as cores. Thanks
Old 03-03-2008, 04:03 PM
onsturn
Racer

Sounds like I should stay away from Lonestar. What vendor is everyone using for good factory brakes and any comment on the VBP Thermo Sport rotors? Anybody?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:16 PM
CORVETTEKARL
Advanced

I had my original calipers sleeved by the originators of stainless steel sleeving "The Stainless Steel Brake Co." located in Clarence NY, back around 1980. Then around 1999 I rebuilt them (new rubber parts & pistons) when I restored the car and changed to silicone fluid. They are still working fine.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:24 PM
onsturn
Racer

Would any of these vendors be willing to put together a caliper set with the proper castings I need for my 69. I now have the casting numbers thanks to another forum member.

Get notified of new replies

To Which new manual brakes for my 69 427 ? ?

Quick Reply: Which new manual brakes for my 69 427 ? ?