C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pull Engine & Transmission Together?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 06:25 PM
V-Rod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull Engine & Transmission Together?

I know that this has been asked and answered before but this will be my first time. OE coming out of a 78 L-48 and a 350 with a 2004r going back in. Would it be a big help to put the car up on a lift? have access thu nephew's friends but would rather do at my place. I should be able to get a veteran chevy mechanic to lend a hand since he owe my dad money. I am really thankful for all the help everyone extends here.

Tom
Old 02-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Since you're replacing the transmission with the engine, yes it will be easier to pull both at the same time. You will want a good load leveler, and it would make things very easy on you to remove the radiator and core support. I don't know if the hood HAS to come off but it's certainly easier.

Also, take off a wheel and go in from the side if you try it with the hood on.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:38 AM
silver 76
Instructor

I pulled the same out of my 74 together with no hood but I have a beme and chain fall to get enough hight that my be a problem if you are using a engin puller. The pair is quite heavy again not sure about a stand alone engin puller.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:45 AM
GaryS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Since you're replacing the transmission with the engine, yes it will be easier to pull both at the same time. You will want a good load leveler, and it would make things very easy on you to remove the radiator and core support. I don't know if the hood HAS to come off but it's certainly easier.

Also, take off a wheel and go in from the side if you try it with the hood on.
Yeah, what he said! Seriously, though, this is the way to go. Mark around your hood hinges with a white crayon. That way, when it is time to reinstall the hood, you merely line up the crayon marks and hood hinge and you are aligned. In addition, if this is your first time pulling an engine, I would recommend the book, How To Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy. It has lots of nice to know stuff for pulling the engine, including how to reinstall the distributor and all of those "oh, by the way, did you remember...?" kind of things.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 AM
VIPERBARON
Racer

Take BOTH out at the same time. Images here; http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2658106/2
Problem is the long snout of the Vette. You'll have to do as I did; set up the hoist from the side, inch it forward, set the engine/tranny combo down on front crossmember and reposistion the hoist to the front for final removal.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:43 PM
tt 383
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

as has been said, from the side is the only way unless using a chain fall. i would suggest taking out the distributor as well, i know with a new summit hoist boom all the way out i had the hook attached about 4 links up from the 4 intake/carb bolts and that gave me good room but anymore links and i was hard pressed to get up and over the fenders with reasonable margin.......
Old 02-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Jud Chapin
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 417 Likes on 288 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

The job would be much easier with the hood off. With two guys, it's a snap to r & r it. Outline the hinges as noted above.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:57 PM
V-Rod
Racer

Originally Posted by GaryS
Yeah, what he said! Seriously, though, this is the way to go. Mark around your hood hinges with a white crayon. That way, when it is time to reinstall the hood, you merely line up the crayon marks and hood hinge and you are aligned. In addition, if this is your first time pulling an engine, I would recommend the book, How To Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy. It has lots of nice to know stuff for pulling the engine, including how to reinstall the distributor and all of those "oh, by the way, did you remember...?" kind of things.
I have the Corvette Shop Manual does it have enough info or should I buy the rebuild book also? Tom
Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 PM
A8skyhawk
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd get the rebuild book(s). Theres two in particular that I goto all the time to look up data.

How to Rebuild Your Small-Block Chevy by David Vizard (mentioned above)

and

How to Build a Small Block Chevy (for the street) by Jim Richardson (its in color, too)

Both present thoughts on the same topic, but its nice to have contrasting points of view... I honestly use these two books more than I ever use my chassis service manual when it comes to my engine.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:29 PM
V-Rod
Racer

Thanks I will order them now. checked them out on amozon eariler.

Get notified of new replies

To Pull Engine & Transmission Together?

Quick Reply: Pull Engine & Transmission Together?