C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:41 AM
killervette6666

Default Headlight electrical issues

I have a tilt front end with headlights that were built in by Ecklers, we also replaced the front wiring harness that goes to the turn signals and headlights and some of the sensors.
For some reason, all the turn signals, parking lights, and other such lights work, except for the headlights, which don't turn on at all, not the far or regular lights. At one point I remember way back when on of the headlights turned on, and then one day they just stopped turning on. I'm pretty sure they are not burned out because they are brand new, and everything else works.
Any ideas? What should I check?
How do the headlight fuses look like? Haynes manual doesn't specify which ones are for headlights.
Could it be the switch? When I pull it the dash lights turn on and parking lights do too.
Could it be a ground issue maybe?
Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You're on the right track but start with the easiest and cheapest ways to check. I would star with crawling down on the floor and pulling and replacing the headlight fuse. I do not know if it shares anything on it's circuit but sometimes a fuse can blow without looking blown so just replace it.

If that doesn't help, I would test at the harnesses. First, run some long jumper wires from the POS and NEG terminals of the battery to test. These are your constants because you know both have the correct signal. Then, get your DMM or digital meter ready. Pull the headlights out one by one, and turning them on at the switch, test for 12V signal and ground using the corresponding wires you ran from the battery. Test the harness power wire and use the ground you ran from the battery. If you get 12V then test the harness ground and use the 12V you ran from the battery. If it find 12V then your headlight harness has power and ground from the switch. If one or the other doesn't test you have narrowed it down.

If you don't have 12V from the harness it might be the switch and obviously ground just means that headlight grounding is lost.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:32 AM
killervette6666

What does the headlight fuse look like? Which of the colors is it or do you think you could possibly get me a diagram? Theres about 10-15 fuses and there's no way to read the little writing underneath each one.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:45 AM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by killervette6666
What does the headlight fuse look like? Which of the colors is it or do you think you could possibly get me a diagram? Theres about 10-15 fuses and there's no way to read the little writing underneath each one.
Your profile says you have a 79, here's the 79 fuse panel

Old 02-23-2008, 12:08 PM
killervette6666

Awesome, thanks
sorry If I'm asking stupid questions (never really worked with anything electrical before) but is the headlight fuse the inst lps or the lps?

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight electrical issues

Quick Reply: Headlight electrical issues