C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window Play

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 03:31 PM
the_big_blue_1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Window Play

What causes side to side window play when the windows are up? I have a 1978 Silver Aniversary I am working on and the door windows have a lot of play in them when they are in the up position. The passenger window seems to have more play then the drivers side. With no frame, I would expect some play, but these seem to be very loose. Is this normal and I am just no use to it, or have I got some hidden part to replace? Thanks The_big_blue_1
Old 02-18-2008, 03:33 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Worn window rollers and weatherstriping
Old 02-18-2008, 04:54 PM
the_big_blue_1
Advanced

Of couse, I had the door pannel off so that explains the difference between passenger and driver. So much for paying attention to what I am doing. I forgot to mention that these are power windows. Now the question is should there be any play or the nominal amount that I have for the drivers side? It seems if you tighten up everything, the power windows don't like it even with new motors.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:07 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ttt
Old 02-18-2008, 06:30 PM
thrilher
Racer

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Worn window rollers and weatherstriping

their are some adjustable guide pads that press against the window but the biggest thing i found for tight windows were the weatherstripping on both inside and out, i changed my whole interior panels so i had new on both sides of the glass
Old 02-18-2008, 10:59 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

There are 2 pads in there that are anti rattle pads, they are at the top of the door on the outboard side of the window and keep it quiet when the window is down, don't do musch with it up.
Most of the excess movement comes from the worn rollers. The roller wears on the pin and on the sides making it loose in the track.
The kits are available at most of the dealers. Even fitted with all new parts there will be some movement, but it shouldn't flop around

Get notified of new replies

To Window Play

Quick Reply: Window Play