C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:50 PM
jlelec
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default convertible conversion

Anyone done a late model C3 coupe to convertible conversion? Where do you find all the parts? I have done a search and didn't find much on this subject. Anyone got any parts for sale to do such a conversion? I have a rough 81 I am considering trying to do the conversion on. Thanks for any help or leads on parts

Last edited by jlelec; 02-09-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:10 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend converted his '69 from coupe to a convertible.

He bought a convertible hulk - windshield to tail, which had most of the parts. He bought the top frame separately. He also had to track down the underdash and transmission hump braces/supports since those had been stripped out earlier.

The cut was made under the seats, through the DRAIN holes, so the splice was made to keep the holes perfectly round so the splice was perfect within 0.02" or 1/2 a mm.

It was a slow and expensive conversion. His car was totaled in a light rollover and that plus input on the joys of my convertibles was what drove his decision. His car is a low mileage numbers matching 427-390 build to L88 specs complete with GM aluminum heads. He had owned the car since it was about 3 ears old.

If you do the conversion, don't forget to have the title changed to say it is a convertible (not the VIN however....)

Good Luck!!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:10 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

NO information because the costs of such a project exceed value of the car in most cases....the parts alone run about 4 grand total....

last I saw a top frame in good clean condition is push a grand or better....then the canvas/etc....then the deck, then well you get it, the hinges, springs, latches..

NOW you go to work....the gas tanks are differant too, won't fit....

basicall un doo able....not that is hasn't BEEN done, but you have to own a vette junkyard to do it....
Old 02-09-2008, 08:23 PM
jlelec
Pro

Sounds like it might just be cheaper to buy a convertible. Thanks for the advice. I have a friend that has an 80 conversion, and it looks like it would be easy. It would only be easy if like you said I had a vette junk yard with lots of convertible parts. Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

The guy that runs Peach State Posse Forum did a conversion to his 80.

His name is John Crowe-at http://www.peachstateposse.com/

He could give you an idea of what it takes & cost

Here's a couple of pics-

Richard
Old 02-09-2008, 11:34 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

theres a couple guys on here that have done late model vert conversions.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 PM
milo30
Drifting

I was interested in the same thing. Hard to find any info on it though. I did run across an old ad for all the parts to do it for around $1000. Trying to get hold of him to see if he ever sold them.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:25 AM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by milo30
I was interested in the same thing. Hard to find any info on it though. I did run across an old ad for all the parts to do it for around $1000. Trying to get hold of him to see if he ever sold them.
You might have to weed through a few posts but here are 3 pages that came up using the search function.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sear...archid=7394181
Old 02-10-2008, 09:18 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Easier and cheaper to sell your car and buy a vert. It also maintains the value [of both].
Old 02-11-2008, 11:28 PM
milo30
Drifting

I ordered the parts to do mine, will post after I start and let you know what the bottom $ is and how hard it was.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:20 AM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by milo30
I ordered the parts to do mine, will post after I start and let you know what the bottom $ is and how hard it was.
get lots of pics for us
Old 02-12-2008, 10:24 AM
kevinator80
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After removing the origional deck

Bonded in place

side view

I am still in the middle of doing my 81. The parts I have bought are:

rear deck and lid, around $800 from Vanacor.
rear deck hinges $100
bonding adhesive $160

It is really not that expensive if you can do the work yourself. Right now I don't plan on having a top. I may make a bikini type top just in case I get caught in a rain shower. This will be strictly a Sunday afternoon car for me. I will fab my own latches or buy some that will work or install some of those little shocks that will hold it down and up. You really start running into money when you buy Corvette parts, top frames, covers etc. If I ever put a folding top on it, you can bet it will be my own design because I refuse to fork over $1k for a rusty hunk of metal. You also have to cut the inner fenders for a vette top to fold away properly (so I have been told).

Don't forget you can off set the cost by selling parts off the car. I have sold the t-tops, interior parts no longer needed, tbar trim, rear window. All of this adds up to near $1k.

Look up member Justforfun, he has a very nice conversion that was done by a body shop. I think he did some of the finish work himself and is very knowledgeable on what it takes. According to him, it can get very expensive to do it "right".

Last edited by kevinator80; 02-12-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Expen$ive..... Or, not all that much more, if you just trade a coupe for a vert. Oh, then you could find folks who want to buy an 'original' car, if you decide to sell it later on. {just a thought}

I really DO commend the ingenuity to tackle a project like this. I just don't think it makes any cents, from a 'value' point-of-view.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Expen$ive..... Or, not all that much more, if you just trade a coupe for a vert. Oh, then you could find folks who want to buy an 'original' car, if you decide to sell it later on. {just a thought}

I really DO commend the ingenuity to tackle a project like this. I just don't think it makes any cents, from a 'value' point-of-view.
I forgot, no one ever wants to buy a non-orgional car do they? Besides if you like the 80-82 front end and want a vert you have to do it my way or figure out how to swap out the front ends, which must be harder to do since no one makes pieces for the conversion.

I also enjoy working on my car more than I enjoy trading cars.

Thanks for the credit, but just because it makes no cents to you doesn't mean it can't make sense to someone else.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:25 PM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by kevinator80
I forgot, no one ever wants to buy a non-orgional car do they? Besides if you like the 80-82 front end and want a vert you have to do it my way or figure out how to swap out the front ends, which must be harder to do since no one makes pieces for the conversion.

I also enjoy working on my car more than I enjoy trading cars.

Thanks for the credit, but just because it makes no cents to you doesn't mean it can't make sense to someone else.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:35 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Dandy. Just wanted the poster to consider all of the issues and options before he 'dug in'.

[P.S. I didn't 'flame' anyone...only offered my opinion. Just because my post isn't what you wanted to hear, doesn't mean that view shouldn't be aired.]
Old 02-12-2008, 03:47 PM
pbcanney
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here's one I snagged the ebay pics from last year

do it

Get notified of new replies

To convertible conversion

Old 02-29-2008, 11:17 AM
jeffro1234
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kelvinator....
Did/Do you plan to change the doorjambs to the convertible style. I have looked at other convertibles and the door jambs have a fiberglass tab at the top where the folding lid comes down and has alignment pins that go into holes.

I started on this same project as you over a year ago and then kinda lost track and stopped working on it. I bought the rear decklid, convertible top, folding lid, rear hinges, all for less than 1200 off of fleabay. I know i have it much easier because my year model was available in a convertible and things fit better. I see where people say its expensive but I find that only to be if you have someone else do the work and you dont take your time to find the less expensive parts.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:11 PM
kevinator80
Drifting

I just put the doors back on mine this week because I rebuilt the hinges and cleaned up the area around them. I also replaced the passenger side door. I have looked at that area and don't know what I will be doing as of now. I still have some gap work and fitting to do. Plus the replacement door has some damage on the corner that meets the area you mention so I probably will mod the corners of each door to fit better with the jam.

I also need to go see gator79 (71 vert)to see how I am going to attach my deck lid hinges to the body. I will look at the jams too.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:47 PM
jeffro1234
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know about your car but the all the mounting holes for hinges were on there for mine. I would think the they would still be the same for you. The base to the hinge assembly is riveted through the same holes that are used to hold the upper body mount to the fiberglass body. I drilled the aluminum rivets out and reinstalled with stainless bolts and locknuts. The hinge base plates are still available new if you need them. One hinge I bought came with the base plate the other did not. There are two different sizes of base plates so you'll need the one that fits best. The upper part of the hinge attaches through the two bolt holes in the upper drip rail you will have probably already installed under your new rear deck. I dont think I took a photo of it though but it is a plate riveted on the inside of the drip rail with 2 nuts welded to it. I made my own rather than trying to find them.

I just dont know what to do about the doorjambs and that is holding me up. I dont know how important that guide is to the decklid. Let me know what you end up doing.

Quick Reply: convertible conversion