C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

78 Power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 05:03 PM
L82shark
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default 78 Power antenna

I rebuilt my power antenna this weekend and put a new cable in it. I thought the thing was toast so I burglarized it and got it to working on the bench. Back in the car its a no go. I noticed on the bench I had to reverse the ground to get it go one way and reverse it again to go the another. The yellow wire in the car has been cut. I connected it to a power source and nothing. It has 3 wires, yellow, brown and green. I had read somewhere that these antennas would not work with aftermarket radios, but I figured I wouls play with it. Running it on an old supertuner for now. Any ideas?
Old 01-28-2008, 05:39 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Received 170 Likes on 137 Posts

Is the yellow wire that was cut the one that goes into the console and back to the relay? Is this a factory antenna? Factory wires are grey, white, and green at the antenna. And yes, you do connect the wires differently when bench testing. That's the function of the relay. Connect the wrong two wires and you'll smoke it.

To bench test it:
Green (+), Grey (-) to raise it

White (+), Green (-) to lower it.

Cross the grey and white = smoke!

If it's hooked up correctly, power applied to the yellow will raise it, remove power to yellow and it goes down.

The actual power to the antenna is an orange wire, always hot. That's how the antenna has power to retract when you turn the key off. Make sure you have that orange wire to the relay.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

I have the wire combos that I used on the bench wrote down in the shop but it seems the same as you described. But the one wire coming out of the antenna is definitely yellow. It turns gray inside the car. Color may be going due to old age or my eyes....

thanks, I will have to trace it back to the relay. There is an orange wire thats cut up there also. PO did a hack and slash job of a stereo installation.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:39 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

FYI

There is a ground strap that attaches to antenna. Make sure to connect that when mounting antenna.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Leclaire
Intermediate

Default Relay

Where is the relay for the antena located?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Under the center arm rest, all the way to the back.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:31 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

look at this

http://www.corvetteforum.net/c3/tune.../index14.shtml
Old 01-29-2008, 05:16 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 719 Likes on 467 Posts

bubba got to mine and I'm working my way back to functionality as well.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:04 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Mine clicks, so I'm interested in getting rebuild parts. Where did you find them?

Aren't our (78) antennas somewhat unique from other years?
Old 01-29-2008, 05:55 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

The aluminum housing power antenna is exclusive to 78s and early 79s. Other GM cars from the era also used it with different brackets.
If yours is clicking it's most likely the nylon leader is broken. This is the part that pushes the mast up and down.
All the vendors sell that repair part. Not actually correct for the 78 but it will work and look correct. You just gotta cut the hook off of it. About $30. GM PartsDirect has it for about $15. Of course add shipping.
GM/Delco part nos. are 22038195 or 22038197 with CB(about 4" longer).
There's a spring loaded pinch wheel inside the motor that can wear and cause slipping. I've taken a triangular file to recut the teeth and that's corrected the slipping problem.

Last edited by KapsSA; 01-29-2008 at 06:17 PM. Reason: part nos.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:05 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

I bought the new cable for mine right here on the parts listing of the forum. I think it came from Zip. But it was in an AC Delco bag. My antenna didnt have a aluminum housing (no CB), it was black plastic and I had to drill the rivets out and then popped the keepers off the side. Cleaned it up, installed the new cable (too easy) and regreased. Put the keepers back on and stuck small nuts and bolts thru the places I had drilled the rivets out. Works like a charm on the bench. Now I just got to figure the damn relay out........
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 PM
KapsSA
Safety Car

Originally Posted by L82shark
I bought the new cable for mine right here on the parts listing of the forum. I think it came from Zip. But it was in an AC Delco bag. My antenna didnt have a aluminum housing (no CB), it was black plastic and I had to drill the rivets out and then popped the keepers off the side. Cleaned it up, installed the new cable (too easy) and regreased. Put the keepers back on and stuck small nuts and bolts thru the places I had drilled the rivets out. Works like a charm on the bench. Now I just got to figure the damn relay out........
If is has a rubber support at the mast tube it's probably a GM service replacement. More correct for late79-82. The bezel a little ill fitting at the fender?
You can also get the repair part at any GM dealer parts counter. Price depends on the parts guy. Think list is about $35, I paid $22 for one. Gotta order it, tho. Took a day for mine to come in.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:01 PM
SLVRSHRK
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by KapsSA
The aluminum housing power antenna is exclusive to 78s and early 79s. Other GM cars from the era also used it with different brackets.
If yours is clicking it's most likely the nylon leader is broken. This is the part that pushes the mast up and down.
All the vendors sell that repair part. Not actually correct for the 78 but it will work and look correct. You just gotta cut the hook off of it. About $30. GM PartsDirect has it for about $15. Of course add shipping.
GM/Delco part nos. are 22038195 or 22038197 with CB(about 4" longer).
There's a spring loaded pinch wheel inside the motor that can wear and cause slipping. I've taken a triangular file to recut the teeth and that's corrected the slipping problem.
Excellent info. I'll have to order the part and put it on the list.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 78 Power antenna

Quick Reply: 78 Power antenna