C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacing outer door handles on 81

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 07:03 PM
jrmartin81
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing outer door handles on 81

i am almost finished restoring my wifes torch red 81. i am putting new door handles on ,help? i need step by step instructions for this job,also the lock assembly to...please help...
Old 01-07-2008, 07:28 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 272 Posts

Don't know about step by step, but I'll give it a shot.

You'll have to remove or at least loosen the latch mechanism to get enough room for the door handle nuts. Once the latch is out of the way, just drop the new handle in from the top with the gasket in place. There will be two nuts needed to hold the mechanism in place from below. I started these nuts by hand and then tightened them with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with a deep socket. Very tight quarters.

The next step is to take the lever that drops from the handle and attach it to the back arm of the latch. there is a special clip to hold this in place. You may have to adjust the number of turns on the nut to which the lever is attached to get the correct action.

Now attach the latch mechanism to the door. Three machine screws as I recall. Don't tighten them too much yet. Next to attach is the lever from the lock mechanism and the release lever from the inner door. Again, special clips are used to hold them in place. Once this is done, tighten the latch and see if both releases work properly and it locks and unlocks. If not, adjust as needed. If it works, put on the door cover and you're done.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:10 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Thats pretty close. The door lock on the outside can be a bich, there is a clip that holds it on the door skin, but the alarm switch is on the same side as the slip. Get a light in there and you will see how it goes on.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:19 AM
gingerbreadman1977
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this is a nasty job. once you have done it a few times its not so bad and you learn a few small tricks but its never enjoyable. dropping circlips down the bottom of the door and stuff. i have had to take door handles in and out 2 or 3 times sometimes when setting up the adjustment correctly with that small barrell nut. and a ring spanner only just fits in there to do up those nuts. it seems like everything only just fits when your working in those doors .i dont thhink they could have made it any more difficult if they tried/
Old 01-08-2008, 08:41 AM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm a big guy with large hands... Replacing the door handles wasn't going to happen with my hands!

One of my buddies with small hands could get in there and do the job.

Tedious work. (7 profanities and 3 beers)...
Old 01-08-2008, 04:26 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Luster

Tedious work. (7 profanities and 3 beers)...
If you can do it in only "7 profanities" then you're ahead of the curve.

Definately a job that requires patience.

Another trick that just occured to me that helped. I loosened the window attachments and slid the glass forward. Gets you an inch or 2 more room to work.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:41 PM
sjmaster
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I was close to admission to the nearest hospital at 4am when I rebuilt my door lock / latch system last winter. Several hundred 4, 5, 6, 7 and more letter words than no one should utter.

I decided the clips were for the birds and ended up using set screw collars with hard felt washers...worked wonders...no rattles too.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:56 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by sjmaster

I decided the clips were for the birds and ended up using set screw collars with hard felt washers...worked wonders...no rattles too.
Interesting idea. Any pics? While setting mine up I ended up using nylon zip ties. I like your idea better.

Get notified of new replies

To replacing outer door handles on 81

Quick Reply: replacing outer door handles on 81