C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

68 frame off rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 07:40 AM
AWilson
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fonz69
Just a thought, my frame was at that stage this summer and instead of blasting that whole thing I used a wire cup on a 4" grinder and hit all the areas I could, then went back and got those hard to reach spots with the blaster. Worked good and saved on hours of blasting
I was thinking of something like that too. I'll give it a try.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:20 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's some of my 68 frame off. I hope to have the body back on by this winter.
before:

After: I even clear coated the pumpkin.

LS1 Trial fit with body:

http://www.vetteworksonline.com/frame.htm
Old 01-17-2008, 11:35 AM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AWilson
So, Rick, considering your frame what are you going to do?
I bought a really nice 73 auto trans frame. It cleaned up nicely and the removeable crossmember is ideal for the T56 install.

BTW, I saved a lot of weight by going to the all-wood rear suspension.

The original frame is going into the shed with the other original parts that I'm mothballing in case a future owner wants to return the car to stock form.

Rick B.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
brs6482
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my frame acid dipped and fixed any thin spots. Then had it primed and painted. It turned out ok.
Attached Images     
Old 01-17-2008, 12:31 PM
Ron R
Drifting

Are you doing a "back to factory specs" type of restoration?

If not, and you do need to go with a new frame, you should consider the SR-III frame over a factory one:

http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/196382corvette.html
Old 01-17-2008, 01:24 PM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a 3" and 4" wire wheel and drill to get my frame down to metal, then ruffed it up and used POR-15. The POR-15 went on great and I followed every steup but I am noticing when I lift the car up by a floor jack the paint will peel on the frame at the point of contact.
I have no problem with it chipping but it should come off as a peel.

If I could do it over again, I would have spent the money on powder coating. BUT I don't beleive they powder coat the inside of the frame. Power coating process uses a gun like a spray gun and the powdercoating media attaches to the outside of the metal then is baked. I don't know how they would get that media inside the frame.
Most times people will paint the outisde then take their frame to a lube shop where they insert grease or special rust preventative into the inside of the frame rails. Painting the inside is not recommended as it can trap rust, oxygen and water against the metal. Just my .02
I think you may have some of the dates on your pictures messed up.
You pulled the body in December of 2007 but you disassembled your rolling chasis in January of 2007?
Old 01-17-2008, 02:03 PM
Ron R
Drifting

Originally Posted by 68 NJConv 454
I used a 3" and 4" wire wheel and drill to get my frame down to metal, then ruffed it up and used POR-15. The POR-15 went on great and I followed every steup but I am noticing when I lift the car up by a floor jack the paint will peel on the frame at the point of contact.
Try putting a couple of shop towels on the floor jack - that way the hard (and probably a little jagged) points on the jack aren't directly touching the metal. It will still have plenty of friction and won't go anywhere, just kind of softens the impact a little bit.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:34 PM
ltone72
Pro

St. Jude Donor '06

Default My frame off

Here's mine.

Last edited by ltone72; 01-17-2008 at 10:44 PM. Reason: -
Old 01-17-2008, 09:21 PM
ENG40
Racer

Originally Posted by stevelischynsky
My frame was a little worse than this. It had holes in the left side rail, number 2 and 3 cross members. After I had it phospate dipped, there was pin holes in the number 4 x member. I replaced all of these and the number 1 belly pan.

When I took these members off, and weighed them and compared with new members, there was about 15 to20% weight reductions. I don't think these were safe anymore.

Point is that the frame rusts from the outside and inside leaving very thin material. So it doesn't necessry have to have rust holes completely through to make it unsafe. All the rust holes that I found were created when I took a screwdriver and hammer and started to inspect. Had I not done that, you could stand back and look at the frame and it would look exactly like the pictures you are showing.

Steve L.
I have to agree with Steve, my frame would not stand up to the hammer and screwdriver test either so I replaced it.
Your frame has been rusting from the inside as well as the outside and if you are going to keep it you should do what ever you can to preserve whats left of it.
AWilson mentioned the alkaline emersion process which will coat the frame all around and stop any further degradation. It might cost you more today but down the road you will be glad you did.
This is a picture of my 68 when I replaced the frame back in 87 which cost a little over $1,000 for a new GM replacement. (now it's $4,000)
Sorry for the picture quality as they are scanned photos.
I coated the new frame with Rustlok steel primer which is as good now as the day I put it on.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:02 PM
AWilson
Drifting

I think you may have some of the dates on your pictures messed up.
You pulled the body in December of 2007 but you disassembled your rolling chasis in January of 2007?
Your right, anything saying January was actually December. So in reality it all happened pretty quickly. Not over a year,,,,and in reverse order!!!

Thanks!
Old 01-17-2008, 10:10 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by brs6482
I had my frame acid dipped and fixed any thin spots. Then had it primed and painted. It turned out ok.
Where did you get your frame acid dipped??? If you don't mind could you tell me how much $$$? Maybe in a PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:12 AM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron R
Try putting a couple of shop towels on the floor jack - that way the hard (and probably a little jagged) points on the jack aren't directly touching the metal. It will still have plenty of friction and won't go anywhere, just kind of softens the impact a little bit.
I was doing that but I kept having issues with my SpeedDirect clutch linkage so I kept having to jack the car up in the same spot to gain access, I think the repeated friction on that spot just started to peel the paint.

I'm not pulling my frame again just to powdercoat it so I plan on finding a nice rubber mat that I can cut and keep on the tongue of the floor jack to protect the frame.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:51 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the same problm with my por15. I used it on my control arms and followed every damn step in the instructions. I waited 5 days for it to dry and said screw it and took it to the powdercoater...best choice I ever made. I recently did a por15 test with some scrap metal...I let it fully dry and I still had the same problem with it...it scratched down to bare metyal very easily. I still have all the materials sitting on a shelf. I'm sure it is a great product, maybe I just got a bad batch or something. I powdercoated absolutely everything on my frame, and I couldn't be any happier with its durability and looks
Old 01-18-2008, 09:00 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Default The project keeps growing.

Originally Posted by AWilson
Here is a typical picture of the rust. It is uniform throughout. No holes anywhere except the front lower crossmember (same as Ecklers # 43283). Apparently it is 68 only. It will have to be replaced. Any one got a good one? I know it is hard to tell from one picture but is this frame worth sandblasting and moving foreward? Like I said no holes or soft spots anywhere that I can tell yet. Is it average condition or worse? I know it isn't a California frame!!!

The good news is that engine area is so greasy it is as good as when it left the factory.

That frame looks a little rusty and in good shape. Don't see enough reason why u would do a frame off. Its easy to catch the while i'm at it itice bug. Man that a ton of work but alot of Sharks have rot just in the lower side rails where the body mounts connect the body to frame. How does the bird cage look?

cardo0
Old 01-18-2008, 09:37 PM
AWilson
Drifting

Originally Posted by cardo0
That frame looks a little rusty and in good shape. Don't see enough reason why u would do a frame off. Its easy to catch the while i'm at it itice bug. Man that a ton of work but alot of Sharks have rot just in the lower side rails where the body mounts connect the body to frame. How does the bird cage look?

cardo0
Yea, it was one of the harder decisions. But I figured it would be easier to do all the work underneath. I just want it done and it's a hobby. I never took a car apart like this so I just wanted to do it. I guess thats a great reason all by itself! In no way is the amount of work really a concern for me. I have done much bigger tougher jobs. But it is definitely a project.
The base of the bird cage, down in the foot area looks very good. I haven't taken out the windshield and all the trim yet to see what that looks like. That too has to be done because the windshield is broken anyway.
Old 01-19-2008, 08:33 AM
Jud Chapin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 418 Likes on 289 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Boy, you guys are doing some really nice work here.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Rich72
Melting Slicks

Any more updates

Get notified of new replies

To 68 frame off rebuild

Old 02-08-2008, 09:49 AM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,416 Likes on 1,046 Posts

On the contrary, I see every reason to do a frame off on your car Alan, because the car that came down the line before it really needed one and was in similar condition!

1272, the car before Allen's getting fitted with the L88 Richmond setup
Old 02-08-2008, 10:16 AM
Zychron
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by international blue

On the contrary, I see every reason to do a frame off on your car Alan, because the car that came down the line before it really needed one and was in similar condition!

1272, the car before Allen's getting fitted with the L88 Richmond setup
Is the original posters car #1271? If so, why does it have frame reinforcements in the rear kickups (see them in the body lift shots)? If your car is #1272, I assume you added yours?
Old 02-08-2008, 10:33 AM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuel Pump is ready to feed the the LS1.

Quick Reply: 68 frame off rebuild