C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

55 lbs weight loss via rear bumper mod!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 07:59 PM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

Anyone heard from Groovy Jay? He did something similar, except hand fabricated a new bumper...

I personally like the idea, once the frame rails are carrying the load, the stock bumper has 3 inches or so of energy absorbers before the bumper hits the frame.
Old 12-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

Hey Kid Vette:

do you picks of how u shaved the bumperetts? front and back..looks
gr8! where did you get the rear like that with the cut outs for the pipes?
Old 12-28-2007, 08:14 PM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

maybe a fuel cell? would that make it safer after lossing all that weight? how big a cell can you get??

r
Old 12-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

I thought we had a fuel cell, complete with rubber bladder. Anyways, I fabricated another bracket to eliminate the flexing in the wind licence plate holder. It would have been much easier to do this with the bumper off, but that is too much a pita. The plate area is very solid now. In fact, the whole rear bumper, with my aluminum cross brace with the tailights and license plate attached is very sturdy. Maybe not sturdy enough for pushing, but I bet it's as sturdy as anything the pre 73 sharks have. I'm done, except cleaning the adhesive, polishing, waxing, and remounting the spoiler. So what did you do over the holidays? I lost 55lbs.
Bee Jay

Last edited by Bee Jay; 01-17-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ZD75blue
Hey,

Anyone heard from Groovy Jay? He did something similar, except hand fabricated a new bumper...

I personally like the idea, once the frame rails are carrying the load, the stock bumper has 3 inches or so of energy absorbers before the bumper hits the frame.
Yep, I got the idea from Groovyjay and his C3R. That is a wicked car.
http://c3-r.com/
Bee Jay
Old 12-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

you got a gas tank. fuel cell..racing cell...can take more abuse.

need to do something right? cause 55lbs isnt worth the risk if rear ended. the aluminum is going to cut it.

r
Old 12-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Safety is a relative term. After riding a Harley for twenty years I feel quite safe in my Vette - with or without bumpers I still have a lot more protection than anybody does on a scooter. I'm surprised you safety freeks can feel safe driving these old cars at all. No air bags, antilock brakes, traction control, etc. You must be peeing in your pants everytime you go out for a drive.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:09 PM
Kid Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 230 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullcrappy1
Hey Kid Vette:

do you picks of how u shaved the bumperetts? front and back..looks
gr8! where did you get the rear like that with the cut outs for the pipes?
Its all custom.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bullcrappy1
you got a gas tank. fuel cell..racing cell...can take more abuse.

need to do something right? cause 55lbs isnt worth the risk if rear ended. the aluminum is going to cut it.

r
huh?
Old 12-28-2007, 11:32 PM
Bullcrappy1
Instructor

wow, a real live Harley...all loud and stuff. neat.

I guess my old ZR-6 is slow....

Danger is danger...but when you can negate some it seems silly for 55lbs... the risk to reward seems silly. but to each thier own.

The shaved bumperetts look cool on the other hand...the 2.5mph collision i will risk... just not the exploding gas tank.

r

Originally Posted by Kid Vette
Safety is a relative term. After riding a Harley for twenty years I feel quite safe in my Vette - with or without bumpers I still have a lot more protection than anybody does on a scooter. I'm surprised you safety freeks can feel safe driving these old cars at all. No air bags, antilock brakes, traction control, etc. You must be peeing in your pants everytime you go out for a drive.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:42 PM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Now thats funny
Old 12-29-2007, 01:04 AM
panic
Team Owner

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
I did get rid of those iron calipers. Replaced them with Corvette Engineering's Wilwood calipers. Saved 44lbs. Thinking about aluminum hat rotors. Aluminum batwing, lightweight hood, and aluminum A arms are getting considered too. Does anyone make a pexiglass rear window for 78-82s?
BJ, you're not alone in your battle

You should consider to swap the stock windshield with a lexan one, i've bought a 'speedglass' windshield 2 years ago, it's light, more transparent then the stock one and is still nice and un-scratched, of course you need to take some extra cares...
Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 AM
panic
Team Owner

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I've been a motorcicle boy all my life as well, i've risked far much more in my fxr (and ducati ss...and aprilia 250 two strokes ) then all the risks i've taken on my lightened vette the last 5 years...and then, yes, stock C3's are a kind of cruising open graveyard for safety anyway, with or without rear (and front) defenses...
Old 12-29-2007, 08:30 AM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That does look pretty good. I wonder how it would look with our bubble rear window?
Bee Jay
Well, Bee Jay, it would look like this on our bubble rear window:

Old 12-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MN80Vette
Well, Bee Jay, it would look like this on our bubble rear window:

That is a beautiful car! What color is that? But isn't that a stock '80 rear bumper glassed in? So, it would be just as long as my 79 bumper but with a spoiler built in. I was wondering how our bubble back cars would look like with the much shorter 68-72 rear end, minus the chrome, just like Kid Vette's.
Bee Jay
Old 12-29-2007, 08:27 PM
enkeivette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think it would look quite right. The glass nose cars have longer fronts to accompany the longer rear. If you were to shorten the rear, you should shorten the front too. Not that I can see any way to do that... Other than swapping a chrome bumper body on there.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:01 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Originally Posted by torqvette
I don't think it would look quite right. The glass nose cars have longer fronts to accompany the longer rear. If you were to shorten the rear, you should shorten the front too. Not that I can see any way to do that... Other than swapping a chrome bumper body on there.
I dunno. The 73 had the rubber nose, and chrome bumper rear.
Bee Jay
Old 12-29-2007, 11:09 PM
MN80Vette
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That is a beautiful car! What color is that? But isn't that a stock '80 rear bumper glassed in? So, it would be just as long as my 79 bumper but with a spoiler built in. I was wondering how our bubble back cars would look like with the much shorter 68-72 rear end, minus the chrome, just like Kid Vette's.
Bee Jay
Thanks Bee Jay!
The color is Code 28 Dark Blue Metalic (the original color) and the interior is Oyster. It normally doesn't look that blue. The sky was crystal clear and brilliant blue that day, and made the car look more blue. It looks more gray on a cloudy day.

No, I don't have stock polyurethane bumpers. The front is fiberglass and the back is FlexGlass (which I don't recommend if you're going for the seamless look).

I'm not 100% sure, but I think the '80-'82 bumpers fit on your '79. I think some CFers have done the swap.
Old 01-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Bowerss2
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

and people give the pinto greif...... I would put a good fuel cell in it if i did that....also wouldnt removing weight from the back make it more squirly.

Quick Reply: 55 lbs weight loss via rear bumper mod!