C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie swamped on a project!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 01:27 AM
FabioSan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Newbie swamped on a project!

Hello guys,
Being an american car admirer for so long I finally moved to US and got a 75 Vette for myself.
Since I'm an avid DIYer, I plan to restore/upgrade it when stuff gets broken.

After just 3 days driving the car I figured it was running too hot and started my first project. I got everything from water pump, aluminum radiator and eletric fan, now since stuff are open I'm replacing gaskets(valve cover,timing chain cover,oil pan) with best fel-pro stuff to make all that oil go away, but as I keep opening it I find more stuff to replace/upgrade.

Right now I need your advice on the timing chain and oil pump:
I planned to do the timing chain some other time, probably together with cam/intake/carb/exaust headers,
but now looking at it it seems to be too loose, so I'm not sure if I should go ahead and replace it now or not.

About the oil pump, I read around and seems the the standard volume is ok for me, so I was planing to keep whatever is in there and dont touch it. But giving a closer look the pickup is really full of crap so I'm not sure how old is this one and how long it will hold.

If you guys are interested on seeing more pics you can find them here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/FabiosVe...ey=_NPP18vV1MY

Any advice will help a lot.
Thanks,
Fábio.

Last edited by FabioSan; 12-15-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 01:51 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

You have it open now and it is right there. I would change the timing gear/chain and if you have any doubt on the pump change it also.
While the pan is off you should change your rear main seal and with the timing cover off change the front seal.

Just good insurance.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:37 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 80 Likes on 32 Posts

i wouldn't think the chain tension looks too bad for a 30+ year old car but as long as you have it torn apart, get rid of that single roller nylon gear anyway. if you're just looking for a runner, you can pick up a cloyes or other quality timing gear for <$50.
as long as you have the pan off, i'd suggest replacing the pump also. again, roughly about $50. just know in advance that you'll have to remove that pick-up, clean it and install it in the new pump.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:19 AM
colin75
Instructor

BUT.......BE CAREFUL. I STARTED OFF WITH A SIMPLE CAM AND HEAD REFRESH PROJECT AND NOW I HAVE PARTS ALL OVER MY HOUSE. ITS LIKE I LIVE IN A VETTE MUSEUM. IT HAS BEEN 2 1/2 MONTHS AND MY CAR KEEPS GETTING TAKEN APART MORE AND MORE. IN FACT IM SELLING PLASMA TOMORROW TO BUY SOME UNDERCOATING.
WELCOME ABOARD BUD
Old 12-15-2007, 03:59 AM
FabioSan
Advanced

Originally Posted by colin75
BUT.......BE CAREFUL. I STARTED OFF WITH A SIMPLE CAM AND HEAD REFRESH PROJECT AND NOW I HAVE PARTS ALL OVER MY HOUSE. ITS LIKE I LIVE IN A VETTE MUSEUM. IT HAS BEEN 2 1/2 MONTHS AND MY CAR KEEPS GETTING TAKEN APART MORE AND MORE.
Seems that I'm on the right place, I started replacing the fan. Now I have a two car garage full of greasy parts. And my wife's car sleeps on the street of course.

So you guys are saying that I still have to disassemble the oil pump, the timing chain and the alternator(to prime the new pump) you just added one month on my project!

Can you tell me what is the thing with roller and non roller timing chains?

Thanks for the replies,
Fábio.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:43 AM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome aboard and congrats on the car.
Timing Chain:
Double Roller chains are better than single
Single is better than the one used with the nylon cam gear.
The cam gear on yours does not look like a nylon unit, so its been changed. Take it off and lay it on its side, if the two sides meet its worn enough to replace. Like the guys sais, a roller chain kit is cheap insurance.
Oil pump:
take it apart and clean it up and measure the play in the gears, replace if necessary, also cheap insurance
If the rear main seal isn't leaking I wouldn't mess with it, but thats me.
Once you have the thing all back together, make sure the air seals around the radiator are good and in place and the air dam is in good shape, those 2 items are responsible for a LOT of vette heat problems. Even with the electric fan kit (which you will love) you still need the seals and air dam
Good luck
Old 12-15-2007, 10:45 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drop a main cap/rod cap or two and check out the bearings while your in there.

If they look good, drop some plastigauge in and see if they are still tight. Button it up if its in good shape, but pretty easy to slip in some new ones if they're not.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:00 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,725 Likes on 2,279 Posts

That pickup screen is just full of cr@p. It could very easily have starved the pump of oil. But, if oil pressure was "good" with that junk in there, it is likely still OK. If pressure at running speeds was low, you should [as a minimum effort] 1) remove the pickup tube, clean it out and reseal it when you reinstall it in the pump; 2) pull one of the end bearing caps to see if you have starved them of oil [carefully...with the intent of just reinstalling cap/bearing if you see no burnt surfaces or scoring]. If you find damaged crank bearing(s), then it's up to you what to do about it. Button it back up and drive it till it dies; low end/low dollar basic repair; engine removal and rebuild; new crate engine. You should have realized that when you open up a 35 year-old "system", there will be problems everywhere you look.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:04 AM
rainierfarm
Heel & Toe

Default band aids

what the heck if you are going that far have it rebuilt. that will save you more headaches in the long run. penny wize dollar follish, don't drive five miles to save 3 dollars when it cost you 5 dollars to ge there.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:09 PM
FabioSan
Advanced

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
The cam gear on yours does not look like a nylon unit, so its been changed. Take it off and lay it on its side, if the two sides meet its worn enough to replace. Like the guys sais, a roller chain kit is cheap insurance.
No Its not Nylon! I was trying not to take it off, if I do, it won't come back for sure.

I never seen a worn one but It looks new though.

Oil pump:
take it apart and clean it up and measure the play in the gears, replace if necessary, also cheap insurance
Can I check the play througt the alternator? Without taking it off?
I definetely need to clean the pickup though, I heard some stories about falling pickups, and the need to solder them in the pump. How do I make sure its properly secured? Is it there only by pressure?
If the rear main seal isn't leaking I wouldn't mess with it, but thats me.
This guy had a 1/2 inch layer of oil and dirt from the radiator to the ger box and up to the valve covers, I have no idea what wasnt leaking!
I bought the fel-pro one piece gasket, so the main seals are both goners.
Once you have the thing all back together, make sure the air seals around the radiator are good and in place and the air dam is in good shape, those 2 items are responsible for a LOT of vette heat problems. Even with the electric fan kit (which you will love) you still need the seals and air dam
Good luck
I dont have the air dam nor the sroud. I plan to get both from Eckler's, does someone has a picture of how it looks like on a 75? I have no idea if it is a visible part and need to be painted or not.

Originally Posted by ZD75blue
Drop a main cap/rod cap or two and check out the bearings while your in there.

If they look good, drop some plastigauge in and see if they are still tight. Button it up if its in good shape, but pretty easy to slip in some new ones if they're not.

Come on guys, I'm trying to start assembling this guy! if its not in good shape I prefer not to know! What I dont know cant hurt me right?
Yes, Yes I know that since I'm down here I should check that, because its easier to cure the cancer on its early stages, new bearings are "cheap insurance".

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
That pickup screen is just full of cr@p. It could very easily have starved the pump of oil. But, if oil pressure was "good" with that junk in there, it is likely still OK. If pressure at running speeds was low, you should [as a minimum effort] 1) remove the pickup tube, clean it out and reseal it when you reinstall it in the pump;
I just drove it for 3 days, but I remember that even on idle the oil pressure would be about halfway thru the gauge which is around 30~40 psi, and running would go to the higher end. Maybe a HV pump???

2) pull one of the end bearing caps to see if you have starved them of oil [carefully...with the intent of just reinstalling cap/bearing if you see no burnt surfaces or scoring]. If you find damaged crank bearing(s), then it's up to you what to do about it.
I see that this is really importat, but I'm don't have the confidence to do it yet, the "carefully" remark scares the c**p out of me. I need to read more and more and understand the whole procedure. Meanwhile, I'll ride the bus to work

You should have realized that when you open up a 35 year-old "system", there will be problems everywhere you look.
I did! Just didn't realized I had to fix all at once! Officially I'm just replacing the freaking fan!!!

Originally Posted by rainierfarm
what the heck if you are going that far have it rebuilt. that will save you more headaches in the long run. penny wize dollar follish, don't drive five miles to save 3 dollars when it cost you 5 dollars to ge there.
I'm not trying to save, I want to do the right things. I just dont have the time or money to do all at once.

Guys, thanks so much for all the answers so far.
Besides complaining all the time I really enjoy working on this car, I will be bored to death once its done, but I wisely bought a car that will keep me busy for the next 15 years.

Fábio.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:06 PM
63mako
Race Director

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Oil pressure is fine leave it alone. Clean the pickup and button it up. the chain is a little worn but it was replaced and has no nylon gear so it will probably last as long as everything else in the motor. If it ain't broke and runs fine don't fix it. JMHO.................................... ........................................ .......... Or rebuild it With a little more power!! , Better do the tranny while Im at it Better beef it up alittle to, or Maybe I should upgrade to an OVEDRIVE!! . Since the tranny and Engine are out, might as well clean this all up. Wow that looks Great! But look how crappy the back looks . Be a shame to do all this and leave the rear end looking like that. Might as well rebuild that and the trailing arms while Im at it, Everybody knows that is the weak point . Man, this would all be a lot easier if the body was out of the way. Then I can get to everything real easyand replace all those 30 year old bushings and lines. Now we got to paint it though and put the interior in. Wiring was a little bubbaed , Can't believe how hard that wiring is to sort out under the dash and the harrnesses were almost $1000 . Wow, 4 years, and hundreds of hours, and $31,000 later. I can finally drive my 75 vette!!! .................................Sorry, got carried way

Last edited by 63mako; 12-15-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 12-15-2007, 05:42 PM
66roadster427
Instructor

Originally Posted by 63mako
Oil pressure is fine leave it alone. Clean the pickup and button it up. the chain is a little worn but it was replaced and has no nylon gear so it will probably last as long as everything else in the motor. If it ain't broke and runs fine don't fix it.
I'm with Mako - especially on the rear main and pulling caps off - if you are not familiar with it, leave it alone. If you do change the oil pump a new one (pt # M55) will run you $15 and a new pickup (pt # 55S1) will run you $7 - throw the old one on the junk pile. With the timing chain - going by the pic you posted it looks alright but if you do change it, make sure you turn the motor over by hand first and align the dots on the pulleys together before you remove the gears, and make sure the new set goes on the same way. When you put the balancer back on put a little engine oil around the lip of the seal so that it is wet when you first start the engine up. Drink a beer or 3 and have fun putting it all back together!
Old 12-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Artsvette73
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well in one of your replies you said you don't have he air dam or fan shroud. That is a good reason why you felt it was running hot. If it were me I would put a new pump and screen and call it a day.

Just a hint don't put all the pulleys, belts,water pump and fan back on till you get the shroud and install it.

Get notified of new replies

To Newbie swamped on a project!

Quick Reply: Newbie swamped on a project!