C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning with wideband o2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Today's problem is..
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Tuning with wideband o2 sensor

Today I was adjusting the idle circuits on my quadrajet and noticed while tuning the numbers bounce around rapidly sometimes up to a full point like from 13.8-14.8 at idle, is this normal for tuning with a wideband, seems difficult to get a good accurate picture of what is going on. The car is a 78 with long tube headers and the sensor is in the driver side collector. Also, should I tune for the highest vacuum and see what air/fuel ratio I am at, or tune to a 14.7 ratio at idle. I know it needs to be leaner off idle under cruise conditions, what is a good mixture for cruising?

Thanks for any info.

Chris
Old 10-28-2007, 11:30 PM
BigBlockk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The idle needs to be a little rich. Something like 13.5 to 14. The A/F signal jumping could be a header flange leak or a vacuum leak at the intake to head flange. Your cruise mixture should be something like 15.5 to 16.5.

BigBlockk

Later.....
Old 10-29-2007, 01:33 PM
8T8T2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had recent experience with this. In process of tuning with LM-1 on my 80 quad, M4ME if I remember right. She seems to idle best between 13-14 afr and this is usualy where she has the best vacume. In my case 13-14" and this is with vac advance hooked to manifold vac.
I would see up to a .5 erratic reading on the afr.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:44 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

The bigger the cam, the more you'll see it bouncing around at idle. Usually it's best to set the idle mix to best vacuum and note the wideband reading for reference.

For cruise you should tune it as lean as it will go without surging or missing. Again it depends on the cam. Many engines will run fine at 15.5:1 at cruise.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning with wideband o2 sensor

Quick Reply: Tuning with wideband o2 sensor