C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TKO 600 Leaky speedo cable

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:49 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default TKO 600 Leaky speedo cable

Anyone else have this problem, my speedometer cable leaks coming out of the TKO 600 tranny. Then it drips on to my exhaust pipes, real annoying stuff. Keisler replaced the cable and the new one fixed the problem for about a year, now it is leaking again, really makes me mad
Old 10-12-2007, 09:24 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Mine leaked also and I replaced the cable. That was last year. So far it is not leaking from the cable anymore.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:57 AM
MotorHead
Race Director

My theory is the because the cable comes out of the tranny on a downward angle it must be bent up quickly to avoid hitting the exhaust pipes. Then the combination of heat from the pipes and tight bend back up causes the outer shell to crack and then tranny oil leaks out

I looked at the original cable there is a heat shield on that portion of the cable go figure, I wonder how long it takes the after market to catch on
Old 10-15-2007, 08:43 AM
0GENE-KEISLER SALES
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking cable

Call me today tere is a simple fix for this.

Thank you
Gene
865.609.8187 ext 211
Old 10-15-2007, 01:41 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Was just talking to Gene at Keisler and apparently there is a second smaller "O" ring inside the cable where it attaches to the tranny that might be missing on mine. He is sending me one right now.

I must say the customer service at Keisler is top notch and second to none. Not just because of this simple fix to my problem, as they have come through in the past to help me on several occasions
Old 10-15-2007, 05:33 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

I have the TKO 5 speed and it has always leaked. Not on the floor. But it would run up the cable while running and drips onto the rug inside the car. What I do now is every so often or when I come back from a trip. My baby is stored on a lift. I'll disconnect the cable and let the oil drip out. Only takes a few minutes. It beats driving bear footed and having a oily rug, my feet look like I walked around in a junk yard.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I must say the customer service at Keisler is top notch and second to none. Not just because of this simple fix to my problem, as they have come through in the past to help me on several occasions
You must not have had the pleasure of talking with Jason.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:10 PM
CorvetteDave01
Burning Brakes

My TKO 5-speed speedo cable (purchased from Keisler separately for about $100) has always leaked some as well. I replaced the O-ring where it goes into the tranny once and it helped, but it still seeps some, irritating.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:19 PM
spedaleden
Safety Car

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

I had the same problem. Keisler sent me an O ring that fits on the tip of the speedo gear nipple. Mine hasn't leaked since. I saw Gene asked you to call him.

It works!!!!!!!

Last edited by spedaleden; 10-16-2007 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:16 AM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Brown78
I have the TKO 5 speed and it has always leaked. Not on the floor. But it would run up the cable while running and drips onto the rug inside the car. What I do now is every so often or when I come back from a trip. My baby is stored on a lift. I'll disconnect the cable and let the oil drip out. Only takes a few minutes. It beats driving bear footed and having a oily rug, my feet look like I walked around in a junk yard.
I have seen where some of the cables are actually wound backwards and causes exactly what you described. Is this one of our kits? If so, what is the name on the sales order? If you contact me, I can correct this for you.

Richard
Old 10-16-2007, 08:17 AM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by CorvetteDave01
My TKO 5-speed speedo cable (purchased from Keisler separately for about $100) has always leaked some as well. I replaced the O-ring where it goes into the tranny once and it helped, but it still seeps some, irritating.
If you contact me via PM, or by phone(865-609-8187 x201) or by e-mail at customerservice@keislerauto.com, I will correct this for you.

Richard
Old 10-30-2008, 10:22 AM
rponfick
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 88 Posts

Just did a search and found this post.

My speedo cable has been leaking after only about 100 miles on my Keisler 500. I have a '73 BB. Got new cable today from Richard after many tries with replacement O-rings. The O-rings seem to get "sucked" up around the cable into the cable housing and lose their sealing ability. Also, the speedo has now stopped working after about 2 miles after each O-ring replacement because inner cable retracts into the speedo head far enough for it to become dis-engaged from the driven gear in the tranny. That may be caused by the above comments to reverse winding of the cable strands. Also, wonder if the inner cable is too short?

Anyway, I will be under the beast today for the umteenth time to see if the new cable assembly help. I am a little disturbed to see this is a common problem.

Ralph.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:46 AM
KeislerSales
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rponfick
Just did a search and found this post.

My speedo cable has been leaking after only about 100 miles on my Keisler 500. I have a '73 BB. Got new cable today from Richard after many tries with replacement O-rings. The O-rings seem to get "sucked" up around the cable into the cable housing and lose their sealing ability. Also, the speedo has now stopped working after about 2 miles after each O-ring replacement because inner cable retracts into the speedo head far enough for it to become dis-engaged from the driven gear in the tranny. That may be caused by the above comments to reverse winding of the cable strands. Also, wonder if the inner cable is too short?

Anyway, I will be under the beast today for the umteenth time to see if the new cable assembly help. I am a little disturbed to see this is a common problem.

Ralph.
The new shipment from Richard will correct this issue, thanks!
Old 10-30-2008, 12:06 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,338 Likes on 1,063 Posts

My TKO 600 has never leaked. It just came with a cable a couple of feet too long.

Motorhead you have to smart enough to put a couple of zip ties to keep the cable off of the exhaust.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:05 PM
l1dws
Racer

My cable is also leaking. I've just sent Keisler a note about the issue and of the potential fix. Sure hope the new and improved gasket works. Like many other owners the seeping from the speedo is a pain in the.....
Old 10-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by gkull
My TKO 600 has never leaked. It just came with a cable a couple of feet too long.

Motorhead you have to smart enough to put a couple of zip ties to keep the cable off of the exhaust.
My cable is way to long also, good thing is I have side pipes.
I had a problem with a leak. Turned out mine was leaking along the tail shaft housing / main housing seam. Best I can tell no gasket was used to seal the surfaces. I used some high temp silicon sealant and applied it around the exterior at the seam under the tranny and as far up on each side as I could easily reach. Cleaned it real good first of course. Used two long strips of masking tape on each side of the housings to make a nice bead. That took care of it for now. Will have to seal the housings correctly next time I remove tranny for service.

Bullshark
Old 10-31-2008, 01:28 PM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bullshark
My cable is way to long also, good thing is I have side pipes.
I had a problem with a leak. Turned out mine was leaking along the tail shaft housing / main housing seam. Best I can tell no gasket was used to seal the surfaces. I used some high temp silicon sealant and applied it around the exterior at the seam under the tranny and as far up on each side as I could easily reach. Cleaned it real good first of course. Used two long strips of masking tape on each side of the housings to make a nice bead. That took care of it for now. Will have to seal the housings correctly next time I remove tranny for service.

Bullshark

This is really starting to bug me. I/we had no idea this was so problamatic.
To anyone out there who is experiencing this, please contact me directly either by PM or e-mail (customerservice@keislerauto.com) or phone 865-609-8187 x201 and I will take care of it.

Bullshark...when the time comes for you to pull the tranny, let me know and I will bring it back here to fix the leak and then leak test it on our new state of the art leak down machine.

Richard
Tech Support

Get notified of new replies

To TKO 600 Leaky speedo cable

Old 10-31-2008, 09:02 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Mine hasn't leaked since they sent me the new O ring to go inside

That was 1 year ago, now I have another problem, my shifter makes an annoying buzzzzzzz when I get on it with my new 427ci. Never did this with my old 406ci. New motor is just as smooth or smoother than the old one.

Can't figure it out, I remember a thread a while back about this but since I didn't have the problem I never gave it too much thought. There was some kind of fix from Keisler for this buzzing shifter problem ?
Old 11-02-2008, 08:14 AM
Crunch-o-Matic
Racer

Default Leaky Speedo Cable

Richard/Gene -- My dpeedo cable is leaking as well. I just noticed it...puddle on the garage floor.

Name on my order is Frank Zane with a Colorado address.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Frank
Old 11-03-2008, 08:15 AM
rj8806
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Mine hasn't leaked since they sent me the new O ring to go inside

That was 1 year ago, now I have another problem, my shifter makes an annoying buzzzzzzz when I get on it with my new 427ci. Never did this with my old 406ci. New motor is just as smooth or smoother than the old one.

Can't figure it out, I remember a thread a while back about this but since I didn't have the problem I never gave it too much thought. There was some kind of fix from Keisler for this buzzing shifter problem ?
PM me your name on our system and I'll help you out.

Richard
Tech Support

Quick Reply: TKO 600 Leaky speedo cable