C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel filter restriction on a Quadrajet

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 06:07 PM
8T8T2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel filter restriction on a Quadrajet

Been fighting quadrajet problems on my 80 all summer. Rebuild kit a couple of months ago. No change. The other day was going thru the rebuild manual and noticed in the box was the new fuel filter I had forgotten to replace. After replacement car would not start. No fuel to carb. Removed fuel filter and it was dry. At first I thought filter had been installed backwards but it wasn't. Found the little check valve -I'm guessing thats its purpose- inside the filter on the inlet end was stuck shut. After a push with a small screw driver it popped loose but didn't move much. Checked the old filter and got very little movement from it also. Seems like a hell of a fuel restriction. I wondering if this has been causing some of my problems? Removed it from the old filter to see how it worked. Just a plastic piece with a small spring behind it enclosed in flexable rubber sock. Gas presure is supposed to push it open or should anyway. Pretty rinky dink set up if you ask me.
Anyway long story short. Is this supposed to be a fuel check valve for the carb after shutdown? Is it needed? If not a check valve what is its purpose? Would there be any problem running without it?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:27 PM
8T8T2
Racer

After giving it more thought I'm going to remove it from the inside of the filter. Going to cut the sock off, remove spring and check valve but re-install the outside rubber into the filter so I still have a seal once installed.
I don't know what presure a stock fuel pump puts out, maybe the pump isn't up to par.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:02 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 529 Likes on 357 Posts

Don't remove the check valve. It provides two very important functions:
1) It prevents drainback of fuel from the carb bowl.
2) More importantly, it is designed to prevent fuel leakage in case of a roll over accident.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ht=fuel+filter
Originally Posted by Lars
The check valve inlet filter is actually a roll-over fuel spillage prevention device. GM found that in the case of a vehicle rolling over, the fuel tank ends up being higher than the carb. Depending on the attitude of the tank and the fuel level in the tank, it is possible for fuel to flow from the tank, through the lines, through the pump, and right through the carb. You can imagine the possible consequences of being trapped in a rolled-over vehicle with fuel pouring out of the carb and onto the ground… So GM installed a filter in the carb with a spring-loaded check ball. This check ball requires a certain pressure to unseat and allow fuel into the carb – easy for a functional fuel pump to accomplish, but the pressure of gravity-fed fuel from a roll-over cannot unseat the valve and allow fuel flow. Roll-over problem solved.

But the roll-over valves also assisted in solving another problem, as you can now see. The return-style fuel pumps that came into use at the same time as the roll-over issue could not positively prevent the fuel from draining back from the carb due to the internal bleed orifice for the return fuel. The roll-over valves seemed to solve the problem, even though they were not designed to do so.

Yet problems persisted, because many people removed the “restrictive” check valve filters and installed the early-style filters without the valve. Also, if the filter pre-load spring is missing or weak, the check valve filter will not seal and prevent reverse fuel flow.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:43 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 8T8T2
Removed fuel filter and it was dry. At first I thought filter had been installed backwards but it wasn't. Found the little check valve -I'm guessing thats its purpose- inside the filter on the inlet end was stuck shut. After a push with a small screw driver it popped loose but didn't move much. Checked the old filter and got very little movement from it also. Seems like a hell of a fuel restriction.
Actually the filters work well and have for years.
Make sure that the filter spring is present or the filter will not serve any purpose, it will be like having no filter at all.
As far as fuel pressure goes, 5-6 lbs is all you need.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:02 PM
8T8T2
Racer

Steve, thank you for the info. The write up from Lars explained things very well.
Bob, I will check my pump pressure with the numbers you given me.

I either have a failing fuel pump or got a bad filter with the kit. After cranking the engine several times then removing the filter and finding it dry threw me. Back filter spring has always been installed. Since filter has already been installed without the check valve I will give it a test first then get a new filter and check fuel pressure.
Thanks again

Last edited by 8T8T2; 09-24-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:28 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

let us know
Old 09-26-2007, 09:54 AM
8T8T2
Racer

Ran a pressure test on the fuel pump. Getting 3-5 psi. Is this too low of presure to over come filter check valve restriction and keep carb level? Check valve still removed from filter and no change on performance. Still have what I think is carb problems.
If this is enough pressure guess back to the drawing board.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:00 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,934 Likes on 1,938 Posts

3 psi is plenty.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel filter restriction on a Quadrajet

Quick Reply: Fuel filter restriction on a Quadrajet