C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you lower the idle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:57 PM
Block_Head
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you lower the idle?

Hello.

-

I need to lower my idle. When it's good and hot after a drive the rpms in park or nuetral are 1500 and when I shut it off it will start back up like maybe one out of every ten times.

-

The engine is a 1974 l48 engine in my 1977 corvette. The engine has an edelbrock 1406 electric choke carb on it.

-

I have the idle speed screw backed all the way out and I have tried adjusting the idle mixture screws to lower the idle. The problem with this pat is I think it leans out too much and it overheats.

-

The way it is right now it'll cruise around under 40 all day at 200 but it I lean it out a little to combat the high idle it runs close to 220.

-

Maybe turning the distributor? I'm pretty sure it's close to dead on timing. I have tried turning it a little and it overheated again.

-

What are my options?

-

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:44 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,927 Likes on 1,933 Posts

You don't fix idle speed by adjusting idle mixture or timing. Idle speed is adjusted with the idle speed screw.

If the engine will idle with the throttle blades fully closed, it means you have a vacuum leak (the air, if not going through the throttle blades, has to be coming from somewhere).

First step is to verify that the throttle blades really are fully closed. Make sure the cable is not holding them open. Pull the carb and flip it upside-down and make sure they fully close. If the blades are fully closed and not allowing air through, and the idle is still high, you have a vacuum leak.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:50 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lars is the man !! Trust what he says.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:09 PM
Glassbowtie77
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoPaul
Lars is the man !! Trust what he says.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:18 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that if the fast idle screw were still in contact with the cam you may have a mis-adjusted choke...Otherwise listen to lars!!!

Get notified of new replies

To How do you lower the idle?

Quick Reply: How do you lower the idle?