C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'75 door striker bolt

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2001, 12:22 AM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default '75 door striker bolt

Anyone know what size the door striker bolt is? Looks like a torx bit, but i'm not sure what size it is, and since i don't already have a torx bit set, i'll have to go get one, but i want to make sure the right size is in the kit. The reason i ask is because for some reason, my door is rubbing on the bolt and makes it difficult to open. i checked the hinge and it doesn't look very worn and there's no play in it, so i'm just going to adjust the bolt.

By the way, i just loosten it right? and then i can move it up or down or whatever?
Old 11-10-2001, 02:43 AM
steelblu75
Intermediate

Default Re: '75 door striker bolt (Buffalo Dude)

Buffalo Dude, I replaced the striker bolts on my '75 when I repainted it. I used a T50 which seemed to work just fine. Once you loosen the bolt, you can move it around to help the door latch better. I would suggest that you move it in small increments, and check your window fit as you move the striker around.
Bruce
Old 11-10-2001, 10:08 AM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buffalo,
Is the striker bolt loose now? If it is tight chances are that it may not be the striker bolt that needs adjusting but the door may have sagged slightly making it hard against the striker bolt. Open the door then close it until it is just resting aginst the striker bolt (don't latch it shut) look at the fender line as compared to where the fender line workes its way onto the door just above the handle. That line should be nice and even. If you open the door and those lines go off meaning that the door side of the line drops below the rear fender side of the line then the door has sagged. I would definately look there first, very common in older Corvettes because of the constant abuse they take of the opening and closing. The hight adjustment points are located inside the door jamb on the door itself. It does require some time and assistance. What I do is loosen all the bolts make an adjustment and just snug up one bolt on the top and bottom hinge. NEVER CLOSE THE DOOR TO ITS LATCHED POSITION AT THIS POINT. Always return the door to the resting position against the strike bolt and check the fender lines again. When satisfied tighten everthing up and open the window and try closing the door. Make sure that the window is open just in case. You may have to do some adjusting there as well after the door is set.
Take your time it is a bit tedious but very well worth the effort.
Hope that helps,
JoeB
Old 11-11-2001, 04:36 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: '75 door striker bolt (woodworkr)

Turns out it is sagging a little. Looks like I'll adjust the height.

Do I need to take off the door panel for this? I can't seem to find the bolts you're talking about. Are they inside the door?
Old 11-11-2001, 10:06 PM
woodworkr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buffalo,
Open the door and look on the front jamb. At the bottom you will see 4 bolts they are the lower hinge bolts for the up and down adjustment you need. At the top of the door on the front jamb, you will see a plate that is held on by 4 1/4" bolts (I think thats is the size anyway) take that plate off and you will see the 4 bolts that are the up and down for the upper hinge. Follow my first post and you should solve your problem. Let me know how you make out.
JoeB
Old 11-12-2001, 09:08 PM
Buffalo Dude
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: '75 door striker bolt (woodworkr)

Well it looks like I've run out of time for the moment. I spent most of my weekend trying to get my horn to work and by the time I was finished, it was dark. Looks like whoever did the last paint job painted everything on the door, but not very well. They put it on too thick so now whenever I touch it I get lots of paintchips everywhere. This will have to wait for another weekend when I can clean up the paint and really get to it. Thanks for your help. :flag

Get notified of new replies

To '75 door striker bolt

Quick Reply: '75 door striker bolt