C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much more Horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Wetshak
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much more Horsepower?

How much horsepower would I gain if I removed the air pump and went to a true dual exhaust without the cat converter? I was thinking of adding headers as well. I am trying to get more HP without getting into the motor. I have a stock 81 vet . I posted this in the general forum and after I did I realized this should have been posted here! (DAH). Thanks to the members who answered in the other forum. Randy
Old 08-24-2007, 05:34 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Wetshak
How much horsepower would I gain if I removed the air pump
2 on a good day, 1 if you've got a normal car. Look elsewhere for more power.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:46 PM
NHRalph
Racer

Not sure how much you will gain but you will feel a big difference. I took off my cat, put on headers and side pipes ( My 77 didnt have an air pump) and it felt like a new engine. ( Of course I don't live in California )
Old 08-24-2007, 05:56 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was a detailed post years ago - dyno tests, etc.

You will gain A HELL OF ALOT of HP by removing the cats and going to dual exhaust. 50, 60 horsepower? Around that range.

Open up the exhaust for sure - Look there first for more horsepower.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Wetshak
Intermediate

WOW!!! Just letting it breathe better will increase that much? I live in Canada and the car no longer has to pass emissions. That stuff is coming off!
Old 08-25-2007, 03:14 PM
yel76low
Pro

Headers... headers... headers...

And, I was going to ask everyone, so this seems as good a thread as any, because it will help the original poster. What size true duals should be used? Is 2" okay? Will there be a big difference between 2" and 2.5" for a near stock / or reasonably modified engine?
Old 08-25-2007, 03:32 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headers + Cat Removal + Good state of tune = 15HP and some real seat of the pants feel too.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:28 PM
ClockworkOrange
Intermediate

Thought I heard that our stock ramshorn exhaust manifolds were close to header performance. Is this not true?
Old 08-26-2007, 09:28 AM
fauxrs2
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wetshak
How much horsepower would I gain if I removed the air pump and went to a true dual exhaust without the cat converter? I was thinking of adding headers as well. I am trying to get more HP without getting into the motor. I have a stock 81 vet . I posted this in the general forum and after I did I realized this should have been posted here! (DAH). Thanks to the members who answered in the other forum. Randy
Depends on what kind of catalytic convertor you are talking about...if its the original pancake (pellet style) one then removing that can give you some good gains. if its a modern hi-flow honeycomb style the effect will be significantly less. A modern convertor can rob as little as 3-4 hp. The air pump isnt costing you any power you can detect short of a dyno so removing that is just gonna clean up your engine bay.

Dual exhaust and headers is always an improvement over the factory 2-1-2 exhaust. Headers are also a benefit. You will not see full gains unless you then tune the engine to properly take advantage of the increased airflow, this could mean an increase in jet size in the carb, certainly changing from factory timing to optimised timing.

50-60 sounds high to me possibly with dyno tuning...
Old 08-26-2007, 10:16 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 809 Posts

The GM cat is real bad. The AIR pump is not that bad.

The cast iron manifolds are not bad if you are running a full exhaust and a fairly tame engine. Headers make more sense if you have an more open exhaust and are trying to take advantage of it with your combination. You kind of have to make the decision to run manifolds or headers at the front end. They are more of a limiting factor if you have a more radical setup.

-Mark.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:23 AM
NHRalph
Racer

Headers will make a big difference over stock manifolds. The stock system has 4 ports going into one at a fairly early stage, headers will allow the gases to flow out faster. The engine will start to breathe. Look at the improvements on just a cat-back system, imagine what it is with a full performance exhaust. The L-48 and L-82's suffered from breathing.
I don't have a dyno ( just seat of pants) but I think 10 to 15 horse increase with headers alone.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:34 PM
stock76
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ClockworkOrange
Thought I heard that our stock ramshorn exhaust manifolds were close to header performance. Is this not true?
I read that somewhere too. I'll have to see if I can find the reference. I seem to recall that there was not much gain in going to headers on a stock engine. The BIG gain was going to 2.5" duals, no cats and straight through mufflers. I think the estimate was around 35 - 40 hp increase provided you had the carb adjusted properly and the timing set up right.

Get notified of new replies

To How much more Horsepower?

Quick Reply: How much more Horsepower?