C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Q-Jet Problems with Commercial Carbs Described

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 11:10 PM
BigBlockk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The primary rods control the cruise mixture. Idle fuel is taken from the main fuel well so the total amount of fuel for the idle, off idle and cruise systems is increased if you go to a smalled rod. It is also possible to get a little better fuel mileage from the smog cars by richening up the off idle circuit.

BigBlockk

Later.....
Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,929 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim H
So my 77 carb has # 77 jets and .052 primary rods.
If I change to .048 or .040 primary rod it will richen up the idle and take off?
I have both sets of primary rod sets.
Yes, if you go to a smaller rod, you will richen up the idle circuit, transition circuit, and the cruise circuit. Your 77/52 combo is a little lean - good for mileage and low CO. The 77/48 would be a good combo for a performance application on a car with headers, good intake, and/or an aftermarket cam. 77/40 will get you way too rich - no reason to even try that one.

Keep in mind that if your carb is a 1975 or newer Q-Jet, primary rods are not available unless you've scrounged some out of a used carb...

Last edited by lars; 08-21-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:08 PM
TopGunn
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tjhuyser
so how much to straighten out my 75 L-46 carb? it dies under full throttle and comes back if you back off some...I think the yahoo before me figured bigger jets= bigger power..I also have an edelbrock proformer intake and an msd module...if that makes a difference...will you be at Carlisle?
Having a 75 carb and having worked on it over the past two years I would recommend you ditch it and get one from a different year if the suggestions Lars makes don't show any results, 76 thru 78 make good choices. 75 was the first year for emission standards, the idle circuit in them is terrible. And you can take that to the bank!

Last edited by TopGunn; 08-21-2007 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lars
Keep in mind that if your carb is a 1975 or newer Q-Jet, primary rods are not available unless you've scrounged some out of a used carb...
Lars.... I know they are not avail from GM any longer but has Edelbrock stopped selling them as well?
Do you know if Edelbrock manufactured their rods or if they got them from the same source as GM?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:57 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Received 103 Likes on 69 Posts

Yes, if you go to a smaller rod, you will richen up the idle circuit, transition circuit, and the cruise circuit. Your 77/52 combo is a little lean - good for mileage and low CO. The 77/48 would be a good combo for a performance application on a car with headers, good intake, and/or an aftermarket cam. 77/40 will get you way too rich - no reason to even try that one.

Now that is good info!
I just changed out the #52s with the #48s, cut 1 coil off the power piston spring, put the float at .420, adjusted the carb and I think its loping a little more with the extra fuel and lost the hestation.
Im going to drive it after the rain clears out later and will get back with results!
Old 08-21-2007, 01:28 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
Lars.... I know they are not avail from GM any longer but has Edelbrock stopped selling them as well?
Do you know if Edelbrock manufactured their rods or if they got them from the same source as GM?
The Edelbrock rods are truck rods with .036" power tips. These cannot be used in a Vette carb without completely messing up the WOT metering area/mixture. Passenger car rods (Vette application) with .026" power tips are not available from any source.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

With my changes, I actually can feel the difference.
It feels like it should where a person could say they have no problems.
I would rate this little experiment as a success.
Next is an electric choke before winter.
(PS) Im glad it was explained that the primary rods are what richens the low end and not only the jets.
When its explained with percentages I myself get confused as maybe others do then get discoraged in going any further, but want just parts that go togather for results.
I used "CV" secondary rods because they were just like the "BG" and its the smallest tips I had right now.
The carb sounds like a jet plane when I kick it in!

Last edited by Tim H; 08-21-2007 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:53 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Good job!
Lars
Old 08-21-2007, 04:43 PM
BigBlockk
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tim H
With my changes, I actually can feel the difference.
It feels like it should where a person could say they have no problems.
I would rate this little experiment as a success.
Next is an electric choke before winter.
(PS) Im glad it was explained that the primary rods are what richens the low end and not only the jets.
When its explained with percentages I myself get confused as maybe others do then get discoraged in going any further, but want just parts that go togather for results.
I used "CV" secondary rods because they were just like the "BG" and its the smallest tips I had right now.
The carb sounds like a jet plane when I kick it in!
I thought you were one of those that didn't like the "Quadrajunk".

BigBlockk

Later.....
Old 08-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Tim H
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BigBlockk
I thought you were one of those that didn't like the "Quadrajunk".

BigBlockk

Later.....
I also push to the limit of no doughts sometimes.
I also learned to push the pin holding the pump arm out then lift the top strait up instead of turning upside down trying to snake the linkage out of the arm hole!
The pump is still a little bitch though!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Hey BigBlockk -
I think Tim H is saying that he's trainable...! Looks like we're going to be able to learn him a few things about Q-Jets yet!
Old 08-21-2007, 11:52 PM
Black'69
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the mistake of trying a Jet Performance rebuild from Summit. Lets just say that now it's in the mail being returned to sender.

Then I did the smart thing and sent the old Q-jet to Lars for a retune. The thing now runs like a top.. bad @ss!

The Jet rebuilt had a miss off idle, hestated under load, at times it would bog and you could just smell the raw gas coming out of the pipes. Lucky for me I convinced Summit to take it back and refund my money.

You can tell by the writup Lars did that he understands the Q-jet inside and out. What a great resource to have on the forum... Thanks Dude!
~C
Old 08-22-2007, 12:11 AM
BigBlockk
Drifting

Hey BigBlockk -
I think Tim H is saying that he's trainable...! Looks like we're going to be able to learn him a few things about Q-Jets yet!
Well, maybe we have another convert.

Ya know Lars that could be good and then again that could be bad. When we finally got Bob Onit to stop cussing at his 'Jet he started buying up all the cheap cores. The boy done went crazy on us!

BigBlockk

Later.....
Old 08-22-2007, 04:38 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BigBlockk
Well, maybe we have another convert.

Ya know Lars that could be good and then again that could be bad. When we finally got Bob Onit to stop cussing at his 'Jet he started buying up all the cheap cores. The boy done went crazy on us!

BigBlockk

Later.....
No, they're such garbage that I bought up all the old parts and cores I could get my hands on so nobody would ever have to live through the Q-Jet hell that so many of us have.
I used to need all this to keep a single Quadra Junk running for about a week.

Then I spent $350 on this, and all my problems were magically solved forever!

Old 08-22-2007, 10:55 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bob Onit
Hey Bob - Can I have your power pistons since you don't need them anymore...?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:28 AM
Bob Onit
Melting Slicks

Hey Bob - Can I have your power pistons since you don't need them anymore...?
If your serious I could send you some.
I have more than are in that picture.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:42 PM
Patrick73
Burning Brakes

The Edelbrock rods are truck rods with .036" power tips. These cannot be used in a Vette carb without completely messing up the WOT metering area/mixture. Passenger car rods (Vette application) with .026" power tips are not available from any source.
Lars, Would the discontinued 750 CFM Edelbrock Q Jet model 1901 (for 66-73 chev) be acceptable to run on a stock 73 L82, 4 speed, with its .069 main jets, 36B primary metering rods and DR secondary--or would you recommend rejetting before using the carb on a non modified 73 L-82?

Thanks!

Get notified of new replies

To More Q-Jet Problems with Commercial Carbs Described

Old 09-26-2007, 02:57 PM
Tecdiverfl
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My carb is at Lars now. The guy I bought the car from bought the carb from Chicago Corvettes. I think the receipt said he paid about $600 for the carb with anodizing. The carb was put together with many of the issues mentioned above. The only saving grace for me was the car was running so poorly that I could not get on it hard. So when I spun a bearing I did not blow the entire thing up. If I had a decent carb on the motor I would have hate to seen the damage when I lost oil pressure to the front of the motor.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:26 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Patrick73
Lars, Would the discontinued 750 CFM Edelbrock Q Jet model 1901 (for 66-73 chev) be acceptable to run on a stock 73 L82, 4 speed, with its .069 main jets, 36B primary metering rods and DR secondary--or would you recommend rejetting before using the carb on a non modified 73 L-82?

Thanks!
That's not a bad carb. It is a duplicate of a Chevy truck carb, and as such is jetted very lean. You can try it out in the stock configuration, then switch over to a 74/44 jet/rod combo and see if it wakes it up a bit.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:41 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

....[*]Broken throttle plate. A common issue on the commercial carbs is that the builders install throttle shaft bushings in these carbs, whether they're needed or not. Very few Q-Jets really need throttle shaft bushings, and most people who install them screw up the install. In this case, the builder bored the throttle plate for oversized bushings and broke the throttle plate in the process. No problem - they just smacked the bushings into the broken throttle plate, left the massive vacuum leak unresolved, and let 'er go. The plate had to be repaired with correctly installed K-Liner type bushings....
That is an interesting statement. I'm sure you are right, but I have found most 100k mile+ q-jets that I have seen have loose throttle shafts. You find that most do not? I thank you for your efforts to keep Q-jets going. It is a great carb when set up correctly.

Quick Reply: More Q-Jet Problems with Commercial Carbs Described