C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Indynut
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Manual Brake Conversion

I am in the process of changing my '79 BB 'Vette from a power brake system to a standard system. I have a standard brake master cylinder on route to me now but my question is with regards to the brake rod.

What brake rod do I use? Can I use the power brake rod, or where should I start searching for another rod?

Thanks in advance if you can help me!

Indy
Old 08-08-2007, 09:31 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

The rod is different for manual brakes. Here's the General's original part listing, but I don't know who's got it nowadays.

Group 4.658 - 68-77 Y (EXC. P.B.)..........346340 ROD, BRK MAIN CYL PUSH

Note that '77 was the last year manual brakes were available, but this rod should fit.

A lot of companies have stuff they don't list, so ask around at places like VB&P, SSBC, Duntov...
Old 08-08-2007, 09:36 PM
jyounane
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Remember...

Remember that you need to use the upper hole on the pedal for the clevis and new brake rod and a different bracket mounted in the lower hole to operate the brake light switch. Most of the vendors like Zip and Corvette Central have this.

Joe
Old 08-08-2007, 09:39 PM
gyopp
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't forget that you have to swap holes on the brake pedal to get the proper leverage. I mounted my MC and mounted the clevis from the auto rod to the pedal and measured the distance. I then had a machinist buddy make mine with the clevis end threaded long enough to give me a little adjustment. Sorry, I don't remember how long it was.

Get notified of new replies

To Manual Brake Conversion

Quick Reply: Manual Brake Conversion