C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Cable Bracket for Demon?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 11:01 AM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default Throttle Cable Bracket for Demon?

I got the Demon back from "The Carb Shop". They say the malfunction was a bad needle. We shall see.
The throttle cable bracket spins on it's bolt. I have a Holly bracket and return springs. The return springs pull the bracket so it spins around
90* and looses its spring tension.
What can I do to tighten the bracket to the carbs base? I'm thinking about cutting and beating on the bracket flanges to tighten it to the carb base. Does any of this make sense? I want to do this right and I don't want to pay for fabrication that I can do myself. Any help out there? TIA

Ricisan
Old 08-04-2007, 12:14 PM
69vettester
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your talking about the original quad throttle cable bracket not having anyplace to stop from pivoting on the Holley setup? If thats right , Then you need to do a Little Fabrication on the holley to make it have a tab on the base so the 90* bend on the Original bracket will stop it from rotating. Or upgrade the entire cable to the Lokar type. Many c3's have upgraded throttle cable assy's.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

I have the better cable. You are right about the Holly bracket. I've done enough fabricating to avoid if possible. Looks like nothing aftermarket is ready made? I have a hacksaw and small vice, I hate to get started and not be able to finish. Thanks for the help.

Ricisan
Old 08-04-2007, 01:41 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Taijutsu
I have the better cable. You are right about the Holly bracket. I've done enough fabricating to avoid if possible. Looks like nothing aftermarket is ready made? I have a hacksaw and small vice, I hate to get started and not be able to finish. Thanks for the help.

Ricisan
I fabricated a bracket from my original Q-Jet for my Speed Demon. If a picture of it is useful to you I will go take one....just let me know.
Old 08-04-2007, 01:48 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Binnie: A pic would help thank you. I don't need to reinvent something that has already been done.

Ricisan
Old 08-04-2007, 02:01 PM
Binnie77
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Taijutsu
Binnie: A pic would help thank you. I don't need to reinvent something that has already been done.

Ricisan
You will also notice that I used two return springs rather than a single one. I learned years at racing school that if you use two springs with half the tension of a single, one front and one back, you will not get any wear on the throttle shaft or shaft plate.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:13 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Default Nice Job!

Binnie: I don't have the 2nd brace like you do. I'm going to try to cut the boxed section and tighten it up around the carb base.
My vice hasen't been beat on much, time to try.
I'll keep the forum posted.

Ricisan
Old 08-04-2007, 07:25 PM
C3 Stroker
Safety Car

Received 611 Likes on 404 Posts

I use a Lokar throttle cable and bracket for my Demon. The bracket has a small stop to keep the bracket from turning.

Cable....http://store.summitracing.com/partde...t=LOK-TC-1000U

Bracket....http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 12-19-2009, 06:42 PM
FlyViper
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 750 Speed Demon on a ZZ454 in a 71 vette (originally 350). I took this 1st picture from another thread. Will the below bracket work on my car? The OP mentioned his being a 75, but not sure if this same bracket would work on my 71? CSR's website says it fits "GM snap-in cable" on 4150s. I circled my throttle cable in the 2nd picture...it looks slightly different than the 1st picture (i.e. his cable has a square portion that is connected at the back of the bracket (closest to firewall).

Where does the return spring attach to in the 1st picture? Maybe a point on that red bracket underneath?

How do I attach the throttle cable end to the bracket on the carb? I'm not really sure what kind of attachment hardware would connect the two (red circle on the 1st picture). Thanks a ton for the help guys!

Old 12-19-2009, 07:49 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

i am actually selling this...it the bracketry for the 700r4.....do you have one of those planned for your future? if so i have the cam that goes on the carb linkages.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:56 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

to attach the cable to the carb linkage you can buy the edelbrock fitting that goes into the hole and has a nut on the back of it and your linkage slips over it and it has a securing pin that keeps the accelerator cable from slipping off.......in the picture below i am using the stock qjet style one...

you can always attach the spring forward to the front of the engine

Last edited by bobs77vet; 12-19-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:46 PM
FlyViper
Racer

I won't be going to a 700R. Thanks for the tip on the fitting. I looked up the original part number for the fitting in the AIM (no, I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier) and came up with this:

. As far as I can tell the stud just pops into the throttle cable. I don't see where there would be a provision for a retaining clip. Does anyone know if on 71's the ball stud is just held in place on the throttle cable by "force" (i.e it pops in there and is secure)?

Last edited by FlyViper; 12-19-2009 at 09:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 07:27 AM
AndersT
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyViper
I use the CSR bracket on my 427 BB with a Demon 750 (with the stock cable), and it works well.

Because of the drop down air cleaner base the bracket had to be pushed down, so instead of being in level its about 45 degrees down.

Old 12-20-2009, 09:43 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

I won't be going to a 700R. Thanks for the tip on the fitting. I looked up the original part number for the fitting in the AIM (no, I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier) and came up with this:

. As far as I can tell the stud just pops into the throttle cable. I don't see where there would be a provision for a retaining clip. Does anyone know if on 71's the ball stud is just held in place on the throttle cable by "force" (i.e it pops in there and is secure)?
the ball socket end should have a "hood" on it that slips up and down with a spring in it pushing it down.....so you push it open and it slips over the large diameter of the ball and then pops closed around the smaller diameter closer to the threaded end.....and i have seen others that accompish the same thing with out the spring, they somehow clip on to the rod end after its in place

ok i see it in my mind now......the clip has the slot only wide enough for the smaller diameter and then has a C shaped clip that clips over the rod to lock it in place....these are standard clips and are not fancy in any way.

looks something like this

http://www.americanpartsdepot.com/im...13%201562s.JPG

this is what you are looking for and www.americanpartsdepot.com has them

Last edited by bobs77vet; 12-20-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-20-2009, 10:43 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

here it is: accelerator rod or cable ball clip part number 940 5702c scroll down almost to the end of the link

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...%3D18%26um%3D1

Last edited by bobs77vet; 12-20-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:19 AM
FlyViper
Racer

Thanks Bob! I do have that c-clip type thing, I just didn't know that's how it worked. Now the next question is the bracket on the carb has 4 different sizes of holes (see the 2nd picture of my previous post). What size of thread on the stud do I need? Seems like I could buy one, but then it'll only fit one hole (as it would be too big for the other holes). Any idea which is best for the speed demon?

Also, does anyone know if my throttle cable will work with the CSR630 above? I don't have that square part on my throttle cable, so not sure if it'll stay in the CSR bracket?

And one more...recommendations on which return spring to use? Thanks a ton for the help!

Last edited by FlyViper; 12-21-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Thanks Bob! I do have that c-clip type thing, I just didn't know that's how it worked. Now the next question is the bracket on the carb has 4 different sizes of holes (see the 2nd picture of my previous post). What size of thread on the stud do I need? Seems like I could buy one, but then it'll only fit one hole (as it would be too big for the other holes). Any idea which is best for the speed demon?

Also, does anyone know if my throttle cable will work with the CSR630 above? I don't have that square part on my throttle cable, so not sure if it'll stay in the CSR bracket?

And one more...recommendations on which return spring to use? Thanks a ton for the help!
one of those websites either holly or edelbrock or that americanparts had a set of 4 ball studs.....all with different diameters

Get notified of new replies

To Throttle Cable Bracket for Demon?

Old 12-21-2009, 05:09 PM
FlyViper
Racer

Found the holley studs on Jegs, thanks! One lingering question is the throttle cable working with the bracket.

I circled in green the square part that the 75+ cables have, but mine does not.

I'm looking at using this: Jegs Throttle Bracket because it also has the return springs. However, will my cable stay put in the part that has the green arrow below?

In the above picture, it appears the cable has the square piece that all the 75+ cables have. I'm confused if this will work.
Old 12-22-2009, 12:55 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

your type with the "tube on the end" has to use a bracket that clamps it in place like the cables on a lawn motor......it will not work with the square type bracketry. I have to imagine LOKAR has bracketry that will work.....look at a street rod magazine in the drug store for other sources.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:56 PM
FlyViper
Racer

Do you have a picture of that type of bracket? I looked on Lokar and Jegs and haven't found it (or at least I don't know what I'm looking for). On the flip side, is it much of a pain to just get a new throttle cable from Lokar and install that?

Quick Reply: Throttle Cable Bracket for Demon?