C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vintage Air's Front Runner Serpentine System

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 09:08 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
Why would anyone go with the front mount systems? There's no reason when wide mount systems are available that don't require you to hack up your frame...

I've got a serpentine system AND a pulley in front of the serpentine belt for P/S and there is plenty of room.
Whose system you got in there? Any pics?

Don't have PS, so that's not applicable unless I go to Hydraboost, but putting the AC back on.

Thanks.
Old 08-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Chris Johnson
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
Z-man: its personal preference, I like the compact design of the front mount and the shorter belt. The wide mount system has the AC comp and the alt over the front A-arms and in the way, also it puts extra heat from the headers on the alt and AC comp that will eventually degrade them. As for as hacking the frame, I have made modifications to improve every part of the car I have worked on so a small mod to the cross member to improve the accessory drive system is nothing.

Neal
Well said Neal. I was just going to say the front mount systems look much better... Now I know there are some good technical benefits too.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
Whose system you got in there? Any pics?

Thanks.
It's one from Whipple ('cause of my S/C) - simply made from an aluminum plate. This shot is before the pulley was bolted on in front, but you get the picture. If you have A/C, the plate extends somewhat over toward the passenger side to accommodate.

I don't see any advantage to moving everything one inch farther toward the front. The heat etc. is still in the engine compartment. The A-arms are still quite accessible.

Old 08-02-2007, 07:49 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice - but that left side looks a little tall regarding hood clearance...?

Update - I received the Vintage Air Serp Set-up yesterday eve. it was late, but opened the box just to check out the crank pulley... With a 3minute check, it is about the same size OD as the OEM 3ring pulley, but extends quite a bit forward. Looks like it will clear - but will be too close for comfort. This weekend, I will remove the OEM and istall to measure and post pics...

Zman's option is nice - but hey.. would that aluminum plate block engine cooling? BTW - what is that red plate on the crank pulley?
Old 08-03-2007, 06:53 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

I am ready to head to the house to confirm whether or not the Vintage Air Serp Set-up fits. Thinking it will not. Anyway - it seems the lower crank pulley is the issue - why wouldn't they simply make the crank pulley smaller (which would clear easily) - then re-adjust all the remaining pulleys to maintain the same rotation speed. Is that too simple or am I not seeing something. If its torque, for a BB - I don't believe that would be an issue.

To back up, this whole thing started when I wanted to add the CS144 Alternator, which required the OEM alt mount to be adjusted. I think that mod is fairly simple - just cut and extend the outer edge of the bracket. The other issue was the Vintage Air A/C compressor mounting. I think Vintage sells a conversion mount for the A/C compressor.

And just FYI - March has a set of pulleys that converts a Vbelt to Serp. Just saw in Jegs, I will need to contact March for specifics and to verify. So - if I adjust these two brackets (A/C and Alt), I could maybe just use the Serp Pulleys to convert. ???

One last mod I may like to make is to convert to the Type II P/S pump. But I need to research that more for what that woudl involve.

Oh - and if I did the above mods, there is no Xmember issues. The above set-up woudl use the short H20 pump, and would allow me to use a Xmember spreader (.... which I just sold cuz I couldn't use with the current VintageAir serp setup)

Last edited by kaiserbud; 08-03-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:01 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by kaiserbud
Nice - but that left side looks a little tall regarding hood clearance...?

Zman's option is nice - but hey.. would that aluminum plate block engine cooling? BTW - what is that red plate on the crank pulley?
When I put the engine into the car, I just rotated the alternator downward and outward with a different brace.

The red plate on the pulley is my crank trigger. You can see the pickup on the left side with the blue wire.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:38 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Well I checked the dimensions on the Vintage Air Serp Kit. The OD of the pulley is the same as OEM, however it is over 3 1/4" long, which makes it hit the Xmember.

Zman - not to get off topic - but what is a crank trigger?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Chris Johnson
Instructor

I've got my 73's body temporarily mounted on the frame that has my engine. Here are some pics with no radiator, hood, headlights, or brake booster/MC. It will give you at least an idea of what they look like. I've yet to see pics of one of the front mount serpentine setups in a C3 engine bay.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Zman - not to get off topic - but what is a crank trigger?
It's just a different and more accurate way of timing the spark by putting a pickup on the crank itself in stead of through a bunch of gears. Replaces the points in a distributor.

Crank Trigger
Old 08-06-2007, 07:27 AM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Thanks Zman

Chris - that looks very nice !
Old 10-04-2007, 10:48 PM
68 Yellow 468
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your message box is full, so I will post this here:

I would very much like to know how your Vintage Air install progressed. Was it ultimately a fit?

My best,

Bryan
Old 10-06-2007, 07:42 AM
shafrs3
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Z-man
Why would anyone go with the front mount systems? There's no reason when wide mount systems are available that don't require you to hack up your frame...

I've got a serpentine system AND a pulley in front of the serpentine belt for P/S and there is plenty of room.
Because these guys are talking big blocks. Not too many systems offered for BB's that don't require frame notching.

... why wouldn't they simply make the crank pulley smaller (which would clear easily) - then re-adjust all the remaining pulleys to maintain the same rotation speed. ...
I've always wondered that myself.

Last edited by shafrs3; 10-06-2007 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:08 PM
jackdaddy
Intermediate

Default GM Serpentine

I have installed the GM serpentine system on my 1975, i cannot find the right lower radiator hose, help me please!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 12:06 AM
JOEY CARTEE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jackdaddy
I have installed the GM serpentine system on my 1975, i cannot find the right lower radiator hose, help me please!!!
What engine and a picwould be nice.....thx
Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 AM
jackdaddy
Intermediate

Default hose

Originally Posted by JOEY CARTEE
What engine and a picwould be nice.....thx
my e-mail is matthew7.7.8@gmail.com it is easier for me to send pictures that way, my motor is a 383 stroker, AFR heads, 230-236 comp cams cam, quickfuel 780cfm carb., roller cam, one piece rear seal block,1.6 pro magnum rocker arms, 510hp, 500lbs trq. at 4000rpm, engine stand dyno, engine built by Stanley Morton Broken Arrow Okla. and run on his dyno!!!! RPM air-GAP intake,
Old 04-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Cruisin Davey G
Instructor

Default Vintage Air's Front Runner Serpentine System

I picked Up a 'ZOOPS' Front Runner, for my Small Block in My '72 Coupe.
Fits Like a Glove. No knotching the Cross Member.

Mine is the Front Runner with the Single Belt System. Real Compact & fits perfectly !

Good Luck !

"Cruisin Davey G !"
Old 04-09-2012, 02:15 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Dont worry about a slightly smaller crank pulley sure V.A has done thier research so it all works right. Probably a diff sized WP pulley

Talk about undersized....never overheated on me yet.
Clean rad. good water pump low temp stat

Old 04-02-2021, 03:09 PM
spd1180
2nd Gear

Default Vintage Air Front runner system on a 1970 BB corvette

I asked Vintage that question too and they said they weren't sure, but have heard of no problems
I just spoke with Vintage Air on the phone 4/2/21, regarding their front runner system fitting on a 1970 Big Block and they said there were fitment issues with the crossmember.
Also March systems says there are fitment issues, right on their website.
Old 04-03-2021, 12:03 AM
vettebuyer6369
Administrator

Location: About 1100 miles from where I call home. Blue lives matter.
Received 5,358 Likes on 2,786 Posts

You are responding to a post from 9 years ago.

Quick Reply: Vintage Air's Front Runner Serpentine System