C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calipers, pads, and drag

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:46 PM
searay61
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calipers, pads, and drag

I just put new brkaes on my 73...new stainless lines, blocks, rotors...everything new. When I torqued the calipers down, there seems to be quite a bit of tightness on two of them (one in front and one on the rear)...to the point the only way to turn the rotor is put a screwdriver in the vents between the rotors to turn them. I have noticed on the two that seem real tight, the inner pad seems to be almost all the way onto the caliper whereas the other two seem to be more centered. Is this OK? I know there is some drag here and I can see that maybe after a few hundred rotations the whole situation with new pads and rotors could give enough clearance for them to be OK. Just wanted to ask and see if there is anything wrong here before I drive this.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Could have bent caliper mounting brackets. Not uncommon. The caliper should be near center line of rotor. Meaning where the 2 caliper 1/2's meet, should be in the center of the rotor. If one side of the caliper is off, most likely you have a bent caliper bracket.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would bet you have a front rotor in the back and a rear rotor in the front. I have seen this exact same thing and it's fairly easy to get them backwards.

The difference is slight but will affect the assembly. You can tell the fronts because they only have the five extra rivet holes besides the lug holes.

The rear rotors have the five extra rivet holes AND an E-brake inspection and adjustment hole.

Can you take pics of all your rotors, and label which is which?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:37 PM
searay61
Cruising

Default Checked and maybe a question

The rotors are in the correct spot. Two extra holes in the rear rotors as they should be. I also checked the center of the calipers to the center of the rotors and that appears OK too. The tight ones are on the passenger side, one in front and one in the rear. I could believe the bracket in front is possibly bent ever so slightly but I don't think that answers the rear.

Is it possible, there is a variation in the pad thickness??? I didn't notice any difference in the 8 pads so I just put them on. Could this be the problem????? I am thinking about swapping the pads to see.

The tightness is not so bad that I can't turn them, it just requires the use of a screwdriver in the rotor vents to turn them. It just seem like this is more than a "little" drag.

Thanks again for all of your help.

John

Last edited by searay61; 07-19-2007 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

What I would do is loosen just ONE of the bleeders in the rear, then check it again...see if it loosens up.....then do the same for the front, see what happens there too.....

don't ask how I know this BUT olde brake hoses are known to swell internally and block any flow back to release the pad pressures....I willing to bet that's it....4 new hoses, and case closed.....all else above has been covered....I seriously doubt pad thickness is a problem...

U really sure the pistons are in there square up no??
Old 07-19-2007, 08:25 PM
1BAD80
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crud behind the pistons.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:56 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by searay61
The rotors are in the correct spot. Two extra holes in the rear rotors as they should be. I also checked the center of the calipers to the center of the rotors and that appears OK too. The tight ones are on the passenger side, one in front and one in the rear. I could believe the bracket in front is possibly bent ever so slightly but I don't think that answers the rear.

Is it possible, there is a variation in the pad thickness??? I didn't notice any difference in the 8 pads so I just put them on. Could this be the problem????? I am thinking about swapping the pads to see.

The tightness is not so bad that I can't turn them, it just requires the use of a screwdriver in the rotor vents to turn them. It just seem like this is more than a "little" drag.

Thanks again for all of your help.

John
Same pads front and rear.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:27 PM
searay61
Cruising

Default Problem Solved

Thanks for all of your input. It ended up the master cylinder was sticking "ever so slightly." Figures, everything new except that it was the culprit. Thanks again!

Get notified of new replies

To Calipers, pads, and drag

Quick Reply: Calipers, pads, and drag