C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get in my 79!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 03:08 PM
jeronk
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get in my 79!

I'm new to the forum and need some help. My power locks are stuck. When I turn the key on either side it sounds like they are trying to open but no cigar. The windows are all the way up making it so AAA couldn't get in. The T-tops are basically stuck on since they have not been off for years. The locksmith I talked to said forcing the T's might be the only way. Am I gonna be looking for a replacement window, or do I have other alternatives?
Old 07-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jeronk
I'm new to the forum and need some help. My power locks are stuck. When I turn the key on either side it sounds like they are trying to open but no cigar. The windows are all the way up making it so AAA couldn't get in. The T-tops are basically stuck on since they have not been off for years. The locksmith I talked to said forcing the T's might be the only way. Am I gonna be looking for a replacement window, or do I have other alternatives?

PM me your email address please. I have something to send you that may help you out.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:30 AM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohh, what are you sending him that will help out, inquiring minds want to know! A hammer?

If nobody gives you a better suggestion, I would guess your least expensive alternative way to get in would be to break a window. Definitely don't try to pry the tops off.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:52 AM
slowride262
Advanced

If the power locks are holding it maybe you can get under the car and disconnect the negative battery cable from the frame and then try to unlock the door???
Just a thought!!
Old 07-16-2007, 01:53 AM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Breaking into C3s throught the T-Tops is a piece of cake with no damage to the tops. Make a fist with both hands, hit the top in the front corner over the latch. The impact should unlatch it. Thats why they sell T-top locks.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
Breaking into C3s throught the T-Tops is a piece of cake with no damage to the tops. Make a fist with both hands, hit the top in the front corner over the latch. The impact should unlatch it. Thats why they sell T-top locks.

Man you should NOT be telling everyone and their mother. Sure I trust most of these guys too, but not everyone reading is a member and may not have benevolent intentions.

Not getting on your case...just saying that someone reading this may use that info to pick up a Vette...cheap.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:52 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Man you should NOT be telling everyone and their mother. Sure I trust most of these guys too, but not everyone reading is a member and may not have benevolent intentions.

Not getting on your case...just saying that someone reading this may use that info to pick up a Vette...cheap.
I have never heard of that way, I know on mine that the t-top latches are very firm and if I were to smack it hard enough to unlatch them the glass roof would break before the latch's released. I have heard of striking the door around the lock with the heel of your hand while jiggling the key to unlock, that works sometimes,,,Peace, Moosie
Old 07-16-2007, 11:57 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

I locked myself out of my 79 in Eureka Springs last year. Was able to use a coathanger and unlock the manual button. May take some time but it works..........LT
Old 07-16-2007, 01:07 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Sorry DB but I tend to disagree, anyone who is out prowling already knows this trick. If you are a C3 owner and do not know this, then you should. Simple reason is to help protect yourself from prowlers. Granted it won't prevent a broken window, and if someone wants your car they'll get it regardless of what alarm you install. After all, this has been well known for over 30+ years but some of you guys aren't even that old yet. I had a GM dealer show me trick this after I had a new set of mirrored tops stolen off a '78. Needless to say, I bought some locks.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:17 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott Marzahl
This will almost always break the glass top-especially the blue laminated ones.I made a video of a much safer way to get in using an oil dipstick.If you would like I can PM it to you.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:42 PM
saudivette
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DWncchs
...I made a video of a much safer way to get in using an oil dipstick.If you would like I can PM it to you.
Good little video that
Old 07-16-2007, 02:46 PM
jeronk
2nd Gear

Default Thank you!

Thanks Durango! I'm on the road again!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Thanks Durango! I'm on the road again!

You're welcome, but don't forget to thank DWncchs. It's his hand you saw performing the magic.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:33 PM
ptroxx
Race Director

Location: Henderson Nv-Rohnert Park/Sonoma C o. ca/born in NY Rockaway Beach.
Received 544 Likes on 384 Posts

All i can say is I never knew about this issue either way im glad i read the thread..
Old 07-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Sean82
Racer

what causes the power lock to get stuck down?

I had this problem, but I was in the car at the time.
sucks having to crawl out the roof of your own car.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:18 PM
lil_red_devil
Advanced

certainly looks like art to me! the forum never ceases to amaze. great that we have a place where everyone can share tips and tricks like this

Old 07-16-2007, 07:09 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean82
what causes the power lock to get stuck down?

I had this problem, but I was in the car at the time.
sucks having to crawl out the roof of your own car.
Sometimes they get stuck because one of the door switches is leaking voltage due to sticking.The botton doesnt return and puts a little current to the actuators.
Little Story
I had a female customer unlock the door on her 78 in a parking garage and get in and sit down close the door and she noticed the door lock button slowly lock.She thought that was strange but didnt give it much thought because she was going to lock herself in anyway.She went to start the car and it turned very slow but would not start.She tried again but still wouldnt start and now was scared a little being in an underground parking garage.She looked around and decided to go back to work and call her husband she hit the lock button but it didnt do anything.She then tried to unlock manually with the button but the actuator was fighting her.Her husband had put the little anti-theft buttons on and she couldnt get a grip on it.At this point she is crying and starting to panic.She tried the power window but by this time the battery didnt have enough to make it work.Now she is crying really hard and banging on the window and feeling like a she is going to suffocate.Some guys come over to the car and she is not sure if they are going to help her or rob her.After they get her settled a little they ask her to release the T-Top and she does but because of leaks her husband had siliconed the tops on.Once again she flips out and starts sobbing and they decide they better call the police.The cop comes and breaks the pass. door glass and reaches inside to pull the door handle but hits the door lock button instead and both locks open.She bails out of the car soaking wet from sweat and actually almost passes out.Car was towed to me.The pass. lock switch had stuck partially down and had almost run the battery down.That switch wasnt used much but that day she had to get something out of the pass side and had locked both doors with the pass. switch.She had me remove the power door locks and she bought a glass hammer to keep in the car.True Story

Get notified of new replies

To Can't get in my 79!

Old 07-17-2007, 10:03 AM
red topless gator
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
PM me your email address please. I have something to send you that may help you out.
Hey Matt Im interested also.....LT
Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ltinnell
Hey Matt Im interested also.....LT

PM me your email addy again.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:32 AM
79L48
Pro

Originally Posted by moosie982
I have never heard of that way, I know on mine that the t-top latches are very firm and if I were to smack it hard enough to unlatch them the glass roof would break before the latch's released. I have heard of striking the door around the lock with the heel of your hand while jiggling the key to unlock, that works sometimes,,,Peace, Moosie
Me too, you could bang all day and not be able to unlatch mine. Sounds like some of you need adjustments.

Quick Reply: Can't get in my 79!