C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 fuel injection problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 01:01 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default 82 fuel injection problems

I'm not getting fuel from my injectors. I have power to them and the fuel pump is running. My computer doesn't show any codes and from what I can tell it's happy. The injectors get their ground through the computer but I can't tell much after that. Anybody out there have an idea?

Bill
Old 07-15-2007, 01:03 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you getting spark to the plugs? Try spraying carb. cleaner into the throttle bodies while cranking to see if it starts.
Old 07-15-2007, 01:49 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

No start that way either. I took a plug wire off and tried to ground it but no sparks came off it.

Bill
Old 07-15-2007, 04:07 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by texaswilkins
No start that way either. I took a plug wire off and tried to ground it but no sparks came off it.

Bill
Gotta have spark first-make sure you have 12 volts to the distributor-then take the cap off and look at the rotor and make sure it hasnt burnt through in the center under the button
Old 07-15-2007, 06:10 PM
mooneyd
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are not getting fuel out of the injectors then it is not an ignigtion problem. Chances are your fuel pump is shot or the fuel filter is clogged. If you need to replace the pump get an '85 pump, it has a higher pressure and volume than the '82 and is a direct replacement. Also replace the sock on the pick up.
Remove fuel filter and have someone turn the key on you should get flow out of the line from the tank. Use a container to catch the fuel. If there is no flow or very little then the pump is bad. If you have good flow then repace filter. Hopefully that will do it.
Old 07-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Mikes*Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1..You may want to check the two TBI fuses in the fusebox marked Inj #1 & #2 and are 3amp fuses.

2..Check the fuel pump relay.Fuel pump relay on an 82 is behind the ECM, which is behind the battery. The relay is about 2" square in size. Make sure it's not just a lose connection on the relay and try tapping it with a screw driver and see if that helps.

3..Disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:35 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

This car has been a continuing drama. A month or so ago my old pump died after 290,000 miles so I upgraded to the 85 pump, a new sock and a filter. It ran unbelieveably better after that. I drove it to work one day at speeds faster than it would go before. That day I had to be towed home. After a few days it started right up. I drove a few more times then today nothing again. Today my fuel pump sounds like it's working, I have 11.something volts at each injector, no ground for either one and no spark either. It's driving me crazy.

Bill
Old 07-15-2007, 07:55 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This car has been a continuing drama. A month or so ago my old pump died after 290,000 miles so I upgraded to the 85 pump, a new sock and a filter. It ran unbelieveably better after that. I drove it to work one day at speeds faster than it would go before. That day I had to be towed home. After a few days it started right up. I drove a few more times then today nothing again. Today my fuel pump sounds like it's working, I have 11.something volts at each injector, no ground for either one and no spark either. It's driving me crazy.

Bill
ECM controls everything. Fuel, injector ground circuit, spark, etc...

However, the ECM does not control ignition spark during cranking. You must troubleshoot ignition system to determine why you have no spark.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:24 PM
gr8whte
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08

FYI, your fuel sending unit is in the gas tank, I found that out the hard way
Old 07-15-2007, 09:07 PM
britvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Checkout the Crossfire Vault here :-http://www.crossfire.homeip.net/cftest/default.asp

It is a forum dedicated to the Xfire injection that you (and I ) have on our 82's , They are a great bunch of guys and are very experienced at getting these xfies running as they should

See you over there

Old 07-15-2007, 09:44 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Bill

I would hope that is a typo up there, the '84 had a crossfire injection, same as your '82.....both running around 10? psi fuel pressures...

the '85 pump is for a TPI car, and runs closer to 35-45 psi, and so would flood hell outta your engine, which matches your starting problems, and having it run after a time sitting....

typo, or NO???

Old 07-15-2007, 10:20 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

It's not a typo. Lengthy explanations are available on the crossfire forum. The 82-84 pump feeds the engines with 10-12 psi at best. The 85 pump is capable of 50 psi but the stock regulator setting returns everything above 12. With the miles on my original stuff I wasn't getting enough fuel to support high speed power. The high pressure pump solved that and once I get the regulator adjusted to 15psi I am told that there will be more gains. Right now I still have the stock horspower but with an extra hundred or so planned the original pressure certainly wouldn't have been enough.

Bill
Old 07-16-2007, 10:57 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

Sounds like an intermittent problem which would suggest wiring.

Do you have a test light? Probe the electronic connection at the injectors. The test light should blink when you turn the car over.

This is somewhat of a guessing game.

When you first turn the car to "on" do you hear the fuel pump kick in for about 2 seconds? You should.

Do you hear a prime pulse from the injestors? You should.

Now the problem I guess is when you turn it over you get no spray from the injectors. Did you check the fuses as suggested?

Make sure the electrical connections at the distributor are good.

You may need to clean the connectors at the ECM. Is your battery loose in the tray? is it bouncing off the ECM?

Follow the wires around from the injectors. they go into a black box in the fire wall. if you are not getting a pulse on the test light open the black box. there are 3-4 connectors in there....unplug and clean them.

Fuel filter is another good thing to check.

Jim
Old 07-16-2007, 11:27 AM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The injectors will only pulse if you have a good spark. This is done to prevent flooding. Check the ignition system before you condemn the fuel system.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:52 PM
dannyman
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by big_G
The injectors will only pulse if you have a good spark. This is done to prevent flooding. Check the ignition system before you condemn the fuel system.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:53 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Well after a week of chasing ghosts and gremlins, it started today. Runs real nice too.

Bill
Old 07-22-2007, 10:30 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Well after a week of chasing ghosts and gremlins, it started today. Runs real nice too.

Bill
What was wrong with it?

Get notified of new replies

To 82 fuel injection problems

Old 07-23-2007, 07:55 PM
texaswilkins
Drifting

Ford parked in front of it? I have no idea why it wouldn't start and that makes it worse. I've checked almost everything under the hood and so far nothing checks bad.

Bill
Old 07-23-2007, 09:36 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Ford parked in front of it? I have no idea why it wouldn't start and that makes it worse. I've checked almost everything under the hood and so far nothing checks bad.

Bill
Ohhh I hate those hide and seek problems.
Just don't drive it any further than you care to walk or get AAA.
Old 07-23-2007, 09:54 PM
DR.Jay
Burning Brakes

I believe the ignition control module is bad. The ignition control module which is located in the distributor controls spark, and it sends a signal to the ECM telling it that the engine is cranking. Once the ECM recieves this signal from the ignition control module it will fire the injectors. If the ECM doesn't recieve this signal from the ignition control module the injectors wont fire, and the fuel pump may not come on. You will also not have any spark.
The ignition control module can, and will fail intermittantly, usually when the engine is warmed up.

Almost all auto parts stores can test the module, and a new one for a
'82 is about $30.oo.
I suggest you remove the module from the car, and have it tested. (have them run the test at least three times to get it good, and warm)

Quick Reply: 82 fuel injection problems