C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting rocker arms ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 08:28 PM
fotyfobravo
Drifting

Location: Lake Arrowhead - Georgia > 72 Base Coupe & 74 BB Roadster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Adjusting rocker arms ??

As some of you have seen and helped with, I have recently completed a total re-build of my 74 454. I did the "Lars method" of adjusting the rocker arms during the initial re-assembly. Upon starting this motor up ... after fixing a couple of vacuum problems - it has run AMAZING. Not the 1st click of a lifter - rocker arm.....nothing. No leaks ... nothing.

Soooo....what do I do today. I pull the covers off and like a real dipstick, I decide to "snug up" the rocker arms.

Now it has a HUGE MISS at idle and throughout the rpm's. It sounds like its on the driver side exhaust. (1 3 5 7)

Do you suspect I slightly "over-snugged" a rocker arm and a valve is staying open. I'd appreciate some opinions BEFORE I pull the covers off AGAIN to fix my "mess up". I should have left well enough alone.

Thanks..........
Old 07-14-2007, 10:18 PM
dath
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always go back to what you know and what worked. I'd readjust the lash following Lars's directions again. Out of curiosity, why did you decide to "snug them up"?
Old 07-14-2007, 10:58 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

LOL, Nope, pull em off and re-do it right
Old 07-14-2007, 11:01 PM
73, Dark Blue 454
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly what do you mean by "snug them up"?
Old 07-14-2007, 11:01 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by fotyfobravo
As some of you have seen and helped with, I have recently completed a total re-build of my 74 454. I did the "Lars method" of adjusting the rocker arms during the initial re-assembly. Upon starting this motor up ... after fixing a couple of vacuum problems - it has run AMAZING. Not the 1st click of a lifter - rocker arm.....nothing. No leaks ... nothing.
Soooo....what do I do today. I pull the covers off and like a real dipstick, I decide to "snug up" the rocker arms.
Now it has a HUGE MISS at idle and throughout the rpm's. It sounds like its on the driver side exhaust. (1 3 5 7)
Do you suspect I slightly "over-snugged" a rocker arm and a valve is staying open. I'd appreciate some opinions BEFORE I pull the covers off AGAIN to fix my "mess up". I should have left well enough alone.
Thanks..........
No man, u can't snug the rocker arms. U have set the lash of the lifter wither hyd or solid. If u snugged hyd lifters on closed vlvs then they are holding the vlvs open and never seating. U need to go back to find zero lash then 1/4 to 3/4 turn tight only.
Try drinking decaf too.

cardo0
Old 07-14-2007, 11:21 PM
wiseman79
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as it rus, fire it up, back off the rockers until they tick, tighten till the tick goes away, then go another 1/2 turn.

Get notified of new replies

To Adjusting rocker arms ??

Quick Reply: Adjusting rocker arms ??