C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:25 PM
rodman4791
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter question

I'm currently changing my 1971 original 350cid engine for a 383cid engine including all ancillary parts such as tuff stuff starter, mallory electronic dist, mallory coil, proform carb, air gap intake, PM alternator, and so on.

Q: The wires going to the old starter had a wire that was connected to the "R" term. From reading other posts it seems that this wire is only needed if you are running points style distributor. Correct???

Best Regards,
Rod
Old 07-19-2007, 01:38 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by rodman4791
I'm currently changing my 1971 original 350cid engine for a 383cid engine including all ancillary parts such as tuff stuff starter, mallory electronic dist, mallory coil, proform carb, air gap intake, PM alternator, and so on.

Q: The wires going to the old starter had a wire that was connected to the "R" term. From reading other posts it seems that this wire is only needed if you are running points style distributor. Correct???

Best Regards,
Rod
Correct. In stock configuration (points/condenser/coil) the wire that runs up to the + side of the coil connects to that terminal to provide a full +12 (bypassing the resistor wire) during startup.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM
rodman4791
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pws69
Correct. In stock configuration (points/condenser/coil) the wire that runs up to the + side of the coil connects to that terminal to provide a full +12 (bypassing the resistor wire) during startup.
Thanks for the confirmation!!!! I've cut and taped it at both the starter and the coil.

Get notified of new replies

To starter question

Quick Reply: starter question