C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New suspension results :-)

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Yellow73SB
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I have mine behind the stock grills

I have a ton of room on a 73 though

If I add on ducts I'll put them in the lower spoiler also
Old 07-29-2007, 02:20 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran

I justed wanted to comment on the results from the track day. The car ran great and was more predictable. In addition to the front geometry changes I made, I also added some additional toe-in to the rear suspension and changed tires to Michilen Pilot PS2's. I had a blast at Putnam Park, and got six 20 minute sessions in . The bump steer blocks did perhaps hurt my achermann angle, because the car does understeer slightly on the sharp corners. But I found it works out fairly well, and the understeer can be corrected with a little throttle coming out of the apex.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:51 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks for the report. You'll likely be wearing a big fat smile for a few days after all that track time. I hear Putnam is really nice.

As you've probably become aware, it sounds like a little trail-braking might be in order to get the car to rotate better at turn-in on those tight corners with the new front geometry. Or, since that technique can tend to require damper adjustments to keep from upsetting the car on corner entry, you could try a little static toe-out to see if that improves things, although you'd definitely want to eliminate that for the ride home.

Keep us posted with your progress. Good stuff!
Old 07-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Skunkworks,
The only turn it was really noticable was a tight fairly highspeed turn (turn 8, I believe). The other corners seamed pretty good. I'm running a little extra toe-in at the moment in the front also (3/16" vs. the recommend 1/8"). I did this because the steering box is a little loose ... its my next project to improve. After that, I should be able to go to close to 0 or maybe 1/32" toe-in. The looseness in the box causes the steering wheel to vibrate without toe-in right now.

I'll see how that does in Oct. when I run at Putnam again. I'm going there with all the Z06's. That should be fun . I have a feeling that I'm going to be just slightly off the pace going by the two Z06's that were there last week.

I was able to hold my own with alot of the newer cars (350Z, RX8, a couple of mid 90's M3's) in the novice class, but the 2007 Z06 just spanked all of us.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:02 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

Originally Posted by Jason Staley

Looks like my car leans more. What spring rates do you have?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Jason Staley
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In III Veteran

Actually the spring rate is pretty soft. I have the transverse VBP springs front and back. Front is set on next to softest setting and the rear is on the softest. I'm running Edlebrock's shocks too.

I was debating on increasing the spring rate before going back to Putnam Park.

Quick Reply: New suspension results :-)