C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you pick your performance parts?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 12:34 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Default How did you pick your performance parts?

I'm just starting an engine rebuild, and I need a new top end. I know alot of people go with packages, but what about you people who chose your parts? Do settle on a specific part, and go from there?

Like for example, I would like to use the Dart Iron Eagle 180cc heads. But now where should I turn? I need a manifold and camshaft, but what should I be looking for?

I know I'll have a specific lift, so should I look towards my camshaft and see what lift I'll need? I had picked out a comp XE268H. And then just match my intake runner volume to my heads? I was thinking about the Torker II.

The few limits I have is I want it to fit under the hood, which seems easy these days with a dropbase, and I want to use my stock Q-jet and valve covers. I'm not looking for alot of power, probably no more than 300 ponies. I haven't been able to check yet, but I know the rear gears are either 3.55's or 3.70's (anyone know on a 75 L-82?). The bottom end will remain the same.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:41 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Pretty much sounds like you got the recipie right. I did the same thing sortof. I wanted to keep the CCC and therefore the E4m carb and distributor. I decided on the block hugger headers for space, ease of install and I can easily wrap them to reduce the heat transfer into the cabin. I chose the AFR180 street heads after asking a lot of ?? snd learning thata 180 to 200 is for street, over 200 is race and I wanted to be on the mild end for economy, no plans to race. Cam was based on the same things. Tranny (2004R) based on more ?? and info in here.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:46 PM
dgruenke
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the heads, I compared flow numbers for various heads. After looking at the flow numbers, I decided to go with either the World Products Sportsman II or the Darts. They were nearly identical for flow numbers. I came across a good deal on the Sportsman II's and bought them. For the cam, I played with a lot of numbers on dyno simulators and came up with one that worked for me.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:47 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER
Pretty much sounds like you got the recipie right. I did the same thing sortof. I wanted to keep the CCC and therefore the E4m carb and distributor. I decided on the block hugger headers for space, ease of install and I can easily wrap them to reduce the heat transfer into the cabin. I chose the AFR180 street heads after asking a lot of ?? snd learning thata 180 to 200 is for street, over 200 is race and I wanted to be on the mild end for economy, no plans to race. Cam was based on the same things. Tranny (2004R) based on more ?? and info in here.
Thats another thing I need to decide is ignition. Its also probably the part I know the least about. I know there's points and HEI, but I couldn't tell you what the difference is or how to set either up. I think my books though should address them once I get to that point.

I guess I left that out that, of course, the car will have headers. I thought about the AFR180's, but for my lack of interest in a high power motor, I thought the price for the darts made alot more sense.

Did you call up Comp though and ask them a whole bunch of questions? What questions did they ask you and vice versa that led to your cam choice?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:48 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by dgruenke
For the heads, I compared flow numbers for various heads. After looking at the flow numbers, I decided to go with either the World Products Sportsman II or the Darts. They were nearly identical for flow numbers. I came across a good deal on the Sportsman II's and bought them. For the cam, I played with a lot of numbers on dyno simulators and came up with one that worked for me.
I thought about that too, I was going to buy the beginners version of desktop dyno. At least to just get in the ballpark of where I think I need to be.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:09 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

For cam selection I didn't really know what to ask them and the last time I called Edlebrock they told me no how no way I could put a perf cam in my computet motor, I knew that to be BS, so I asked in here. Grumpy recommended the cam I got and he outlined good reasons.

For ignition, the engine will not care either way what you put in. I would go with HEI tho, simplicity and all that. Some guys swear by points systems, but I would rather not run them. Pick something you like the look of, but not a cheap import.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:56 PM
2armor
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by foxymophandlpapa
I'm just starting an engine rebuild, and I need a new top end. I know alot of people go with packages, but what about you people who chose your parts? Do settle on a specific part, and go from there?

Like for example, I would like to use the Dart Iron Eagle 180cc heads. But now where should I turn? I need a manifold and camshaft, but what should I be looking for?

I know I'll have a specific lift, so should I look towards my camshaft and see what lift I'll need? I had picked out a comp XE268H. And then just match my intake runner volume to my heads? I was thinking about the Torker II.

The few limits I have is I want it to fit under the hood, which seems easy these days with a dropbase, and I want to use my stock Q-jet and valve covers. I'm not looking for alot of power, probably no more than 300 ponies. I haven't been able to check yet, but I know the rear gears are either 3.55's or 3.70's (anyone know on a 75 L-82?). The bottom end will remain the same.

I thought you said you wanted to keep the stock 882 head?

Before that weren't you going to build a stroker? I know, decisions, decisions!

Anyways, If you want a nice street car I'd say to ditch the torker intake - way to high rpm range for daily driving at 300 ponnies IMO. I'd stay with a Performer RMP ant most. Thats what I stuck with and I opted for the XE268 cam. 220-230 duration make for a fun street car if that what your looking for.

I just dropped the engine back in on sunday so I wont break it in until the dewitt shows... another week i suppose
Old 06-28-2007, 02:32 PM
dmaaero
Pro

I had real good luck with the holley contender intake. It matched my 180cc dart heads and a fel-pro 1204 intake gasket almost perfect.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:34 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like you have picked a good combo, except intake. Performer would be a good intake. If you want to step up to the Sportsman II heads you will need more cam and the RPM Air Gap is a nice match for intake. I got 300RWHP and 327RWT with Sportsman II heads, they are very good heads and often overlooked for more expensive aluminum heads
Old 06-28-2007, 02:40 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by 2armor
I thought you said you wanted to keep the stock 882 head?

Before that weren't you going to build a stroker? I know, decisions, decisions!

Anyways, If you want a nice street car I'd say to ditch the torker intake - way to high rpm range for daily driving at 300 ponnies IMO. I'd stay with a Performer RMP ant most. Thats what I stuck with and I opted for the XE268 cam. 220-230 duration make for a fun street car if that what your looking for.

I just dropped the engine back in on sunday so I wont break it in until the dewitt shows... another week i suppose
haha, I know, my fiance is always doing the, "I thought you were gonna do a.... (insert random engine combo here)"

Well with the 64cc Iron Eagles, wouldn't I be fine if I used the Torker II and got a bit bigger cam, something with more lift and duration? One thing I just dont' want to do is limit the flow. I'd rather have too much than too little.

And how do they determine those RPM bands? What makes one intake better at a higher band than any other one?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:45 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by dmaaero
I had real good luck with the holley contender intake. It matched my 180cc dart heads and a fel-pro 1204 intake gasket almost perfect.
Contender intake? I cannot find that on Holley's website, or on Summits. Do you have a link to the info?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 PM
dmaaero
Pro

You will have to look in the used dept to find one. Don"t think they make em any more, they flow about the same as the edelbrock performer intake. You can usually pick up one for around 50 bucks. It"s a dual plane intake and you have to run a drop base air filter. I sand blasted mine and it looks brand new! david
Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Originally Posted by MotorHead
Sounds like you have picked a good combo, except intake. Performer would be a good intake. If you want to step up to the Sportsman II heads you will need more cam and the RPM Air Gap is a nice match for intake. I got 300RWHP and 327RWT with Sportsman II heads, they are very good heads and often overlooked for more expensive aluminum heads
That may be a good option too, you have the numbers I'm looking for anyway. 200cc sound pretty huge though on a smallblock, and that airgap isn't going to let me keep my stock hood, or probably my quadrajet. Please correct me if I'm wrong there.

I'll definitely take a look into those as well. Which exact set of Sportsman II's do you have?

Last edited by LeMans Pete; 06-28-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:12 PM
2armor
Racer

That may be a good option too, you have the numbers I'm looking for anyway. 200cc sound pretty huge though on a smallblock, and that airgap isn't going to let me keep my stock hood, or probably my quadrajet. Please correct me if I'm wrong there.

I'll definitely take a look into those as well. Which exact set of Sportsman II's do you have?
I have a 76 L82 which should be identical to yours, I maxed out with the following as far a hood / filter clearance. I have 1/4" gap between filter nut and hood (I'm not running hood insulation either):

SB350 w/ moroso steel motor/tranny mounts- (no movement),
3" K&N filter on a Holley drop base,
Holley 670 street avenger,
performer RPM,

I think an air gap RPM or victor jr would fit but you may need a 2" filter then. Good luck and oh yeah- Just be honest with yourself about how you'll use the car and build it accordingly- You'll enjoy it even more then!
Old 06-28-2007, 03:20 PM
dgruenke
Drifting

I got the 64cc chamber Sportsman II heads. They are all 200cc runners. 200cc runners are probably a little big for a 350 with a mild cam. I am building a 383, so I wanted a little larger runners.

I went with the Weiand Stealth intake because of its broad RPM range and upon the recommendation of gkull.

You should be able to fit the Stealth or the Airgap under your hood with a drop base air cleaner. You just won't be able to use the stock air cleaner.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:54 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

I got the 64cc chamber Sportsman II heads. They are all 200cc runners. 200cc runners are probably a little big for a 350 with a mild cam. I am building a 383, so I wanted a little larger runners.

I went with the Weiand Stealth intake because of its broad RPM range and upon the recommendation of gkull.

You should be able to fit the Stealth or the Airgap under your hood with a drop base air cleaner. You just won't be able to use the stock air cleaner.
Wow that Weiand does have a large RPM band, but how? Whats so different in RPM bands?

See I think thse 200cc's is going to be too large. I could go with the Weiand on the Dart Iron Eagles and get the 64cc heads, with 180cc runners.

I'm not gonna bump up to the 383. This is my first engine build, so I gotta be conservative, and get it right. Maybe in the future when I have a bit more experience, I'll expand my power.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:06 PM
dgruenke
Drifting

Wow that Weiand does have a large RPM band, but how? Whats so different in RPM bands?

See I think thse 200cc's is going to be too large. I could go with the Weiand on the Dart Iron Eagles and get the 64cc heads, with 180cc runners.

I'm not gonna bump up to the 383. This is my first engine build, so I gotta be conservative, and get it right. Maybe in the future when I have a bit more experience, I'll expand my power.
Yeah, the 200cc are going to be a little big for you. I would go with the Dart in the 180 version or you can even go with the Edelbrock RPM (170cc) if you go with aluminum. The smaller runners will be sure to give you the lower RPM power band for the 350.

As far as the design on the Weiand, I don't know exactly how they do it, but it does have a somewhat different runner design that the Edelbrock manifolds.

Get notified of new replies

To How did you pick your performance parts?

Old 06-28-2007, 04:13 PM
LeMans Pete
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Yeah, the 200cc are going to be a little big for you. I would go with the Dart in the 180 version or you can even go with the Edelbrock RPM (170cc) if you go with aluminum. The smaller runners will be sure to give you the lower RPM power band for the 350.

As far as the design on the Weiand, I don't know exactly how they do it, but it does have a somewhat different runner design that the Edelbrock manifolds.
I think you have me convinced, but now the question is: single or dual plane. And why?
Old 06-28-2007, 04:24 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Just for information purposes. I used single plane intakes. I had ported Sportmans 200 cc with 2.055/1.6 valves on my old 355 ci. I got a heck of a deal on some circle track Ported Dart Iron eagle 230 cc. They probably exceeded 240CC. I never got that 355 ci to run well with them. It was a 3500 -7500 rpm motor.

180 - 200 cc are good for 350's
Old 06-28-2007, 04:28 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,152 Likes on 484 Posts

Take the guess work out of the equation. Here is a web site that has 109 small block Chevy engine combos and their dyno horsepower. http://www.ryanscarpage.50megs.com/combos1.html

Last edited by toddalin; 06-28-2007 at 04:32 PM.

Quick Reply: How did you pick your performance parts?