C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which bilstiens are stiffer sports or HD?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 01:31 AM
Black'69
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which bilstiens are stiffer sports or HD?

Should I get the Sport or the HD for bilstiens? I'm looking for a firmer ride. I have the F41 springs set with a 427, so I figured I could go with the firmer set considering the extra weight and the heavier spring rates

Any recommendations? I did a search and saw most people have the sports, just thought I'd ask before bought.

Thanks in advance,
Christ
Old 06-21-2007, 06:44 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 809 Posts

I have Sports on my car with stock front springs and a 355# AO Smith rear monospring. That is a very good combo. I would not change anything there. If you race at the track you might want to spend more for the QA-1's but for a street driver the Sports are great.

I would say the HD's are designed for somewhat less spirited driving in general. I have a set of those on my Camaro. I did not put Sports on the Camaro because they do not make them for that vehicle. I would have bought Sports again.

You might want to check with Van Steel to see what they advise. I dont think they even carry the HD's. The Sports are great. I have never heard about anyone being dissapointed with them.

-Mark.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:28 AM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Sports
Old 06-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

I have the HD's and my ride is firm. I don't think I would want it any firmer unless I was racing motorcross.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:20 AM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by stingr69

I have a set of those on my Camaro. I did not put Sports on the Camaro because they do not make them for that vehicle. I would have bought Sports again.
You can get your HDs re-valved, google Sam Strano or Stranoparts.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

You might want to check with Van Steel to see what they advise. I dont think they even carry the HD's. The Sports are great. I have never heard about anyone being dissapointed with them.

-Mark.
Correct, we only carry the Sports and the Sports are stiffer than the HD's.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:32 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MYBAD79
You can get your HDs re-valved, google Sam Strano or Stranoparts.
Karsten,
Thanks for the heads up. I doubt I will have them reworked. These are just fine out of the box. Any improvement would be marginal at best. These old girls are pretty limited in how far you can take them.

-Mark.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:26 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Sports on my car with stock front springs and a 355# AO Smith rear monospring. That is a very good combo. I would not change anything there. If you race at the track you might want to spend more for the QA-1's but for a street driver the Sports are great.

I would say the HD's are designed for somewhat less spirited driving in general. I have a set of those on my Camaro. I did not put Sports on the Camaro because they do not make them for that vehicle. I would have bought Sports again.

-Mark.
Finally, an answer to my question. The KYBs, I have, are a joke . I called Bilstiens Tech and was told the Sports were only for lowered vehicles ( WTF).
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:58 PM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just got my bilstein HD's the other day from willcox, cheapest price I could find. SPorts are stiffer so I went with the HDs. Will probably install saturday,
ESU
Old 06-21-2007, 04:11 PM
Black'69
Pro

Thanks guys. Sports it is!
Old 06-21-2007, 04:49 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by glenn64vette
Finally, an answer to my question. The KYBs, I have, are a joke . I called Bilstiens Tech and was told the Sports were only for lowered vehicles ( WTF).
Thanks for clearing that up.
I sold the KYB's I took off on Ebay. I got $50 for them and was thrilled. No way I would buy KYB's again. They are a lot cheaper than Bilsteins for a reason.

I have no idea why the Tech would say that. It just ain't so.

-Mark.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:35 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

I sold the KYB's I took off on Ebay. I got $50 for them and was thrilled. No way I would buy KYB's again. They are a lot cheaper than Bilsteins for a reason.

I have no idea why the Tech would say that. It just ain't so.

-Mark.
Yea, that Tech surprised me BIG time. What I am looking for is good spring control at high G loads (but still drive on the street everyday). Sports seem the way to go. Just a lot of money to put out and not be sure they'll do the job.

My other possiblity are the Edelbrock Shocks, but I can't find anyone that has them on their Vette.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:42 PM
weimer20
Burning Brakes

Yea, that Tech surprised me BIG time. What I am looking for is good spring control at high G loads (but still drive on the street everyday). Sports seem the way to go. Just a lot of money to put out and not be sure they'll do the job.

My other possiblity are the Edelbrock Shocks, but I can't find anyone that has them on their Vette.
I've used the Edlebrocks on a different veh.. Don't bother with them, they were not worth the money I spent on them IMHO.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:01 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

Originally Posted by weimer20
I've used the Edlebrocks on a different veh.. Don't bother with them, they were not worth the money I spent on them IMHO.

Thanks for the info!! That helps . Now, if my money tree would blossum, I would be just fine.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:49 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

I've had the Edelbrock's on my '71 for years. They're good shocks but I haven't tried the Bilsteins so can't compare.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:54 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

Originally Posted by zwede
I've had the Edelbrock's on my '71 for years. They're good shocks but I haven't tried the Bilsteins so can't compare.
What I'm looking for is good spring control. Do you feel the Edelbrocks do this or is it just a good smooth ride? Thanks.

Last edited by glenn64vette; 06-21-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 PM
happiedazs
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I just ordered Sports from VB&P. They Don't carry the HD's either. I told them that I didn't want too stiff a ride and the KYB's I currently have on the car are poop. The told me that the sports were SOFTER than the HD's ---- Can't seem to get a straight story

Get notified of new replies

To Which bilstiens are stiffer sports or HD?

Old 06-22-2007, 07:47 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Default See if this helps

This is from the web site:

GETTING THE RIDE THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU
Bilstein mono-tube gas pressure shock absorbers are available in a wide variety of sizes and stiffness settings, depending
upon the vehicle type and use. All Bilstein shocks absorbers instantaneously self-adjust to changing road surfaces; in addition,
their performance does not gradually decline from age, use or heat, requiring no compensating manual adjustments as
with conventional multi-tube shocks. Shock stiffness settings are divided into five usage categories shown below.

SPORT (S)
For the performance-minded driver, Bilstein “Sport” shocks deliver absolute mastery of the road surface.
Designed to push a car’s suspension to it’s performance peak, these shocks are well suited for use with special springs, antisway
bars or other suspension upgrades.

HEAVY DUTY (HD)
For most vehicles including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without
sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling for occasional off-road use,
while maintaining an exceptional “street” ride.

COMFORT (C)
For the driver who wants maximum ride comfort, with the virtual elimination of “bottoming out” and vehicle sway.
These shocks generally maintain and, in many cases, enhance a vehicle’s original ride qualities while increasing
road-handling and overall stability.

5100 SERIES
For specific manufactured lift kits utilizing the stock OEM mounting configuration.
Self-adjusting deflective disc valving, Independent rebound and compression with superior control for larger diameter tires.

RALLE, RACE
For rigorous demands of driving competition. Their success should be measured by the unprecedented levels of acceptance
and use by professional drivers in virtually all major Motorsports.
Include such features as spherical bearings, adjustable spring seats longer or shorter than standard dimensions. *Not suited
for street use.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:26 PM
glenn64vette
Racer

This is from the web site:

GETTING THE RIDE THAT IS RIGHT FOR YOU
Bilstein mono-tube gas pressure shock absorbers are available in a wide variety of sizes and stiffness settings, depending
upon the vehicle type and use. All Bilstein shocks absorbers instantaneously self-adjust to changing road surfaces; in addition,
their performance does not gradually decline from age, use or heat, requiring no compensating manual adjustments as
with conventional multi-tube shocks. Shock stiffness settings are divided into five usage categories shown below.

SPORT (S)
For the performance-minded driver, Bilstein “Sport” shocks deliver absolute mastery of the road surface.
Designed to push a car’s suspension to it’s performance peak, these shocks are well suited for use with special springs, antisway
bars or other suspension upgrades.

HEAVY DUTY (HD)
For most vehicles including full-size sedans, SUVs and trucks. These shocks provide improved handling and stability without
sacrificing ride comfort. They offer super damping ability that makes them ideal for heavy hauling for occasional off-road use,
while maintaining an exceptional “street” ride.

COMFORT (C)
For the driver who wants maximum ride comfort, with the virtual elimination of “bottoming out” and vehicle sway.
These shocks generally maintain and, in many cases, enhance a vehicle’s original ride qualities while increasing
road-handling and overall stability.

5100 SERIES
For specific manufactured lift kits utilizing the stock OEM mounting configuration.
Self-adjusting deflective disc valving, Independent rebound and compression with superior control for larger diameter tires.

RALLE, RACE
For rigorous demands of driving competition. Their success should be measured by the unprecedented levels of acceptance
and use by professional drivers in virtually all major Motorsports.
Include such features as spherical bearings, adjustable spring seats longer or shorter than standard dimensions. *Not suited
for street use.
Yea, that's in their Catalog too. But, according to Bilstiens Tech..........

Your real time info has helped greatly. Koni's are another possiblty. but the price.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:59 PM
PNK
Instructor

Koni Classic are adjustable and i prefere them over bilstein sport.
i run on QA1 myself, the option to adjust the shocks on the fly are super nice.

Quick Reply: Which bilstiens are stiffer sports or HD?