C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My First Vette ! I have a few Q's

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:41 PM
1BigGus
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My First Vette ! I have a few Q's

Hello all. I just picked up my first Corvette, (a 77 T-TOP car), and had a few questions. First, i've got a headlight that's stuck in the up position. after checking all vacume lines, and fixing a few small leaks, it still doesn't move, while the other light now moves like new. Any ideas, and wheres the best place to get the parts? Secondly, I hate the luggage rack on the back and was looking to take it off and put a spoiler on it. Is it possible to put a 78+ rear spoiler on and whats involved. Also looking to find out if anyone makes a cowl induction/ ram air hood for a 77 that will give me about 2"-3" of added under hood clearance. Thanks Gus
Old 06-18-2007, 04:50 PM
no_rice_burners
Intermediate

Check the inner trim bezel on the headlight that goes around the bulbs. Mine came a little loose and it caused it to stick in the up position because the lip of it got hooked on the body. I found this out after going through all of the vaccum lines. I beleive there are only 2 or 4 screws holding it in.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:07 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've seen 74-77 vettes with the 78 rear spoiler and it looks great! However, I am not sure on that modifications that needs to be done... if any i bet there is only few...

As for the hood, you can always go to ecklers, mid america, Corvette Central and etc. and buy a high rise or L88 hood and put the fresh air chamber kit and you practically have a cold air/cowl induction hood.... In fact this would work better than the factory cowl induction because you don't have to worry about a the door not opening due to a switch or a wire...
Old 06-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Old Mo
Advanced

1BigGus; I have removed a 78 air foil from the rear of my 77. They fit but there is a notch in the foil for the 78 gas fill. If you remove the rear luggage rack be sure to fill in the holes correctly or they will show up after it is painted. You need to fill out your personal profile .
Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Welcome to the forum. Lot's of great folks here. I just installed a pacecar spoiler purchased from Eckler's on my '76. Drill 3 holes and attach from under the rear bumper cover. They give you the dimensions to mark and drill holes. Easy mod and it looks great. Post some pics when you get it on.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The L-88 hi rise hood is only 7/8" higher than the 77 med. rise hood.
The 76-79 hood allows the Victor Jr, RPM & others on SB w/ aftermarket (about 1 1/4") dropbase filter (about 3") & Holley & can be opened up for cowl induction.

Besides a higher aftermarket hood, a scoop could be added.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:54 AM
1BigGus
3rd Gear

Thanks guys, The info was helpful. As long as all goes well the new engine should get dropped in this weekend, from there its just gonna be a matter of taking the measurments to figure out which hood to go with. Considering the last car this engine was in (85 monte carlo SS Street/strip) made qtr. mile passes in the mid 12's, i'm thinking its going to be about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. LoL. Pics are soon to follow

Get notified of new replies

To My First Vette ! I have a few Q's

Quick Reply: My First Vette ! I have a few Q's