C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do other GM cars use the same brake booster/master cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:11 PM
ZR1Blex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do other GM cars use the same brake booster/master cylinder?

Do any of you know if any other GM cars/trucks used the same brake booster and master cylinder as found on a '79 Corvette?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:30 PM
BrentDev
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Am sure that some of them are the same.....

FWIW, Advance Auto parts quoted me about 45 bucks for a 77+ MC.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:28 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

The booster is a dedicated vette unit, from what have seen over the years.....never seen another like it....and it sux too.....

replace it with a hydroboost, and kiss many problems goodby.....
Old 06-22-2007, 05:10 PM
ZR1Blex
Instructor

I replaced my brake booster/master cylinder with one from VBP and am unhappy with it. I paid good money for it and along with a $60 core charge thinking I was getting quality parts that VBP manufactures. I became downright angry when I later found out that VBP doesn't manufacture these parts, they get them from another supplier who remanufactures used cores. I would have never bought these parts had I known this

I was also disappointed that the brake booster/master cylinder cover they sold me doesn't have the zinc coating that the originals have.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:56 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

OK, differance of opinion here, you talking to a very olde tyme hotroddr here, and changes to a car to at least TRY improving performance are legit in MY parlance....U into NCRS type crap, I cant' help you,

IMO, they are into re creating all the design problems/deficienceis over that have been fixed over the decades... so improvements ARE possible without spending tons of bux....

I guess it depends on if you want a garage queen show car NCRS perfect, or you want to DRIVE a cool looking car that has NEVER even CLOSE to being replicated by ANY maker....

your call.....
Old 06-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Kalway
Safety Car

It's like $100 for a booster and master cylinder assembly with a lifetime warranty from autozone. That's where I got mine and it works fine. I really don't mind the brake booster in my vette, as it feels like it works very well. Hell it feels more confident than 90% of the newer cars I've driven.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:47 PM
ZR1Blex
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrvette
OK, differance of opinion here, you talking to a very olde tyme hotroddr here, and changes to a car to at least TRY improving performance are legit in MY parlance....U into NCRS type crap, I cant' help you,

IMO, they are into re creating all the design problems/deficienceis over that have been fixed over the decades... so improvements ARE possible without spending tons of bux....

I guess it depends on if you want a garage queen show car NCRS perfect, or you want to DRIVE a cool looking car that has NEVER even CLOSE to being replicated by ANY maker....

your call.....
I think you may have misunderstood me as I was just expressing my dissatisfaction with the parts I bought. I bought the VBP brake booster/master cylinder because I was under the impression it was a top quality product they manfactured that offered increased performance and longevity (like their brake calipers are known for). If I wanted a normal brake booster/master cylinder I would have bought one at my local auto parts store for a 1/3 less and not had to pay expensive shipping and core charges.

As far as the zinc coatings go, I am not a diehard NCRS type either. The reason I wanted the zinc coating on the brake parts is that this a protective coating that resists corrosion and looks nicer the ugly dull gray parts that I got.
Old 06-23-2007, 12:19 AM
GlockGuy
Pro

Originally Posted by ZR1Blex
I think you may have misunderstood me as I was just expressing my dissatisfaction with the parts I bought. I bought the VBP brake booster/master cylinder because I was under the impression it was a top quality product they manfactured that offered increased performance and longevity (like their brake calipers are known for). If I wanted a normal brake booster/master cylinder I would have bought one at my local auto parts store for a 1/3 less and not had to pay expensive shipping and core charges.

As far as the zinc coatings go, I am not a diehard NCRS type either. The reason I wanted the zinc coating on the brake parts is that this a protective coating that resists corrosion and looks nicer the ugly dull gray parts that I got.
Muskegon Brake has the zinc coated MS.

Get notified of new replies

To Do other GM cars use the same brake booster/master cylinder?

Quick Reply: Do other GM cars use the same brake booster/master cylinder?