C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2001, 01:45 PM
stickanddice
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap?

I have been urged to consider a bigger engine for my next purchase. Were could I find a good selection of engines. Once I find it, how much does it usually cost to swap it out. I don't have the time, tools, or expertise to do it alone. :confused:

What are the drawbacks to the big engines? How is driveability, real world use (91 octane pump gas) servicing, etc.

On a related topic, how much power can the existing drivetrain handle (427 or 454 BB C3). If that needs to be upgraded, what sort of expense is that?
Old 10-24-2001, 02:14 PM
rainman69
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (stickanddice)

Biggest factor in octane needed is compresion ratio and ignition timing...
Old 10-24-2001, 02:19 PM
69classchass
Advanced

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (stickanddice)

Hers a few vendors, these are the best Ive found and these two have all kinds of advice and support,,It appears crate motors are BIG business these days to GM. Its not hard to figgure out Why, with all us runnin around loose in the world..ha
http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/start.html
http://www.paceparts.com/

Hope this helps..
Tom

[Modified by 69classchass, 1:22 PM 10/24/2001]

[Modified by 69classchass, 1:24 PM 10/24/2001]

[Modified by 69classchass, 1:26 PM 10/24/2001]

[Modified by 69classchass, 1:29 PM 10/24/2001]
Old 10-24-2001, 02:57 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I have been urged to consider a bigger engine for my next purchase. Were could I find a good selection of engines. Once I find it, how much does it usually cost to swap it out. I don't have the time, tools, or expertise to do it alone. :confused:

What are the drawbacks to the big engines? How is driveability, real world use (91 octane pump gas) servicing, etc.

On a related topic, how much power can the existing drivetrain handle (427 or 454 BB C3). If that needs to be upgraded, what sort of expense is that?
Scoggin Dickey carries the full line of GM crate engines, plus some others:
http://www.sdpc2000.com/default.htm

Most of these crate engines run on regular gas. They come with a warranty. Most shops will probably treat an engine swap like a human heart transplant and charge you accordingly! :) although the guys that have done it say it's not all that tough. MJ
Old 10-24-2001, 03:08 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 146 Likes on 128 Posts

U need to contact BSEERY on the forum....bryan is currently doing this :smash:
Old 10-24-2001, 03:36 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (Alwyn678)

I am thinking of buying this: http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?act...id=514&pid=622

Putting my comp cam 268H, edelbrock performer, roller rockers stock q-jet (all on current motor) and either AFR heads or Trick flows with headers on this. I would rebuild my 700r4 at the same time and put that in.

What do you guys think?

Old 10-24-2001, 04:03 PM
john's '81 mouse
Burning Brakes

Quote: "I have been urged to consider a bigger engine for my next purchase. Were could I find a good selection of engines. Once I find it, how much does it usually cost to swap it out. I don't have the time, tools, or expertise to do it alone.

On a related topic, how much power can the existing drivetrain handle (427 or 454 BB C3). If that needs to be upgraded, what sort of expense is that?"

According to your Profile, you have a 1998 corvette, don't believe I'd be trying to fiit a BB in a C-5, question whether you're for real.
Old 10-25-2001, 01:58 AM
stickanddice
Instructor

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (john's '81 mouse)

If you read all my other posts you'll find I'm inquiring pretty heavily about a C3. I plan on selling my C5 and getting a C3. I'm going to be posting some pics of some of the problem areas I've found in the Restoration Section (Bubbling paint). Once I sort out what I want exactly I'll go ahead and either purchase the C3 or keep the C5. So far, if the price is right, I'm thinking of looking for a LS 5, due to the driveability factor (Post: 427 or 454).

Just because I have a C5 does not mean that I shouldn't be curious about other vettes. Especially when I'm shopping around. Everyone I've spoken to has told me that asking "Corvette People" is the best way to get acquainted with an older classic prior to plunking down the cash.
Old 10-25-2001, 02:45 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (Alwyn678)

U need to contact BSEERY on the forum....bryan is currently doing this :smash:
You rang?

Check out my ZZ4 motor swap at http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/bseery/zz41.htm.

Price -- if you keep the stock carb that will save you $500. If you do the swap yourself that should save another $1000.

Motor, flywheel, and waterpump cost me $3700 w/ shipping.

Damn nice motor.
Old 10-25-2001, 04:04 AM
DREGSZ
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (69classchass)

As far as I can tell, all the GMPP dealers have the same price.
Sallee Chev in Southern Oregon will be closest and have the lowest shipping and no sales tax for you.
Big blocks are expensive to swap in and transfer over in a small block car.
Smog kicked in, in 74 and big blocks were last offered in that year, so you can't change much post 74 cars.
Evan
Old 10-25-2001, 10:16 AM
Flareside
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (Rhys)

Rhys,

Wow, a short block for less than $1900! I'm jealous. I'm looking into a short block for my big block, and they START at $4000!

-Joe

[Modified by Flareside, 9:17 AM 10/25/2001]
Old 10-25-2001, 10:35 AM
Chris@VetteFinders

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (Flareside)

Rhys,

Wow, a short block for less than $1900! I'm jealous. I'm looking into a short block for my big block, and they START at $4000!

-Joe

Yep, I noticed that. That is a mind-changing figure for sure.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:36 AM
Chris@VetteFinders

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (BSeery)

Bseery,

Who did you get your ZZ4 from? hot cam? how much hp? If I can get mine for $3500 range, I will do that instead.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:01 AM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (Rhys)

Rhys: I've seen the ZZ4's (355HP version) for anywhere from $3,300 - $3,500. Pace has them for $3,395. The 385HP Fast burn version is $3,999 at Pace, but I've seen them for $3,850. With the addition of a HOT cam and 1.6 roller rockers, the 385 fast burn is supposed to make 430HP (It's basically the ZZ430), but I'm thinking that's something you could do yourself before you drop it in. You wouldn't have to pay Pace to do it.

These prices might be less if you use your stock carb.

[Modified by 79MakoL82, 9:03 AM 10/25/2001]
Old 10-25-2001, 11:08 AM
Chris@VetteFinders

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (79MakoL82)

I'd really like to accomplish 400hp with $3500 or so. Maybe it can't be done. I am going to check my noisy rod bearing this weekend and see if thta is the problem. If it is not an "easy" fix, I am going with a crate motor.
Old 10-25-2001, 11:31 AM
79MakoL82
Melting Slicks

I think your ZZ4 short block with AFR heads idea should get you about there. The recent CHP rated the AFR 190's as the best flowing heads that they've tested. I'm not sure, but at the most, you might need to go to a little more cam, but the rest of the set up sounds good to me. An RPM air gap would help, but then you couldn't use your quadrabog and you'd have hood clearance issues so there's extra $$$. The ZZ4 shortblock is a great platform to build on and would definately consider that as a good starting point.
Old 10-25-2001, 12:00 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Mine was from Sallee Chevrolet for $3295 + shipping (if my memory is right)

I talked to Tom there -- the phone number and info is on my ZZ4 swap page at http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c3/bseery/zz41.htm - it has the prices, the need to have parts, the contact name and everything.

Good luck -- it's a fun motor.

Get notified of new replies

To Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap?

Old 10-25-2001, 12:24 PM
Chris@VetteFinders

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (79MakoL82)

I think your ZZ4 short block with AFR heads idea should get you about there. The recent CHP rated the AFR 190's as the best flowing heads that they've tested. I'm not sure, but at the most, you might need to go to a little more cam, but the rest of the set up sounds good to me. An RPM air gap would help, but then you couldn't use your quadrabog and you'd have hood clearance issues so there's extra $$$. The ZZ4 shortblock is a great platform to build on and would definately consider that as a good starting point.
Quadrbog huh? ;)
Old 10-25-2001, 01:06 PM
Gator81
Melting Slicks

I didn't notice the other replies dealing with this part of your post, so I'll take a shot at it.

When I did the crate swap into my '81, I ended up spending about $1500 beyond the cost of the engine and shipping, and I did the actual swap myself (with the help of a friend). The engine was a long block assembly plus sheetmetal, so I still had to get a manifold. I also added roller-tipped rockers, new fuel pump, new clutch, and new ignition parts. Most of the $1500 went into a long list of relatively small parts and pieces, like new hoses, belts, fasteners, gaskets, etc., plus a significant amount of machine shop charges for things like bead-blasting the exhaust manifolds, resurfacing and balancing the flywheel, etc. And there's the rental charges for the engine hoist, engine stand, and a few special tools that I didn't own.

I could only guess what you would have to pay someone to do the work for you. I did most of it in about 2 days, so maybe $500 for labor ??

Good luck with it! :seeya
Old 10-25-2001, 02:38 PM
Suprdave
Advanced

Default Re: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap? (Gator81)

I just did a motor swap at the biginning of summer. I didn't have that much experience so I had a friend help me out. I went with a 383 stroker.
http://www.speedomotive.com/chevy_383_street.htm

The engine came complete from intake manifold to oil pan. I did upgrade to an air gap manifold. The complete engine ready to install was delivered to the local shipping company in my town for $3800 of wich you get back 150 when you return the crate. I had to also buy a new clutch, Distributor and a whole lot of nick-naks. It cost me at least another $1,200 to compete the job without the new hood to fit the intake under. It took me about 2 weeks of working several hours here and there on it.

The end result was a 13.2@107 mph with no launch at all on 3.08 gears. It is spectacular. I did have to chain the engine down as it broke my brand new motor mounts in about 5 min after we had it running. Havn't got around to ordering solid mounts yet.

Suprdave

Quick Reply: Crate Engines, where can I find one and how expensive is it to swap?