C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

UPDATE: Hooker sidepipe removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Kfmorgan
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default UPDATE: Hooker sidepipe removal

Well, I've soaked it in penetrant for a couple of days, whacked the bracket with wood and hammers, and it still hasn't budged. I'll squirt it a couple more times today, give it some more hits, and go back to trying the heat tomorrow. I'll keep the fire extinguisher handy!
If anyone has any more ideas, please chime in.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:21 PM
hosspowerinc
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The heat ought to do it. I use it for everything thats stuck tight. Hasnt let me down yet!
Old 05-27-2007, 02:27 PM
baja216
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I saw a thread a few years ago that I did not keep. It showed how a guy took threaded rod along with some hose clamps. He used rubber to protect the pipes and clamped the hose clamps on to the side pipes and headers. The threaded rods were used to expand/remove the pipes.

He had a picture, Hopefully I haven't confused you.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:28 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I forget...Are they painted, ceramic, chrome or stainless?
Old 05-27-2007, 02:39 PM
Doug70vert
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I did with the same issue. This won't be easy to explain but I'll try.

I bought two of the 4" rubber couplers that are used for plumbing. These come with two hose clamps attached. I also bought a device that is used to tighten wires. I don't know what these are called but they have two treaded eye bolts that screw into a center piece. When the center piece is turned the eyebolts get closer together or further appart depending upon which way they are turned.

I removed the hose clamps from the coupling and cut the rubber on one side. This allowed me to wrap the rubber around the pipe and the collector. One coupler on the pipe and one on the collector. I then attached the hose clamps, but I ran the two inner hose clamps through the eye bolt on the wire tensioner device. Once all the clamps were tight, I began to twist the tensioner which puts steady pressure on the pipe/collector joint. I alternated between taps on the wooden block and twists on the tensioner. No heat needed for this one man job, just the right tools.

I know that won't be easy to understand, but hopefully will give you a starting point for further questions.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Kfmorgan
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
I forget...Are they painted, ceramic, chrome or stainless?
They are painted.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:13 PM
1979toy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saved a copy of the instructions for making a removal tool. Send an e-mail to smericle@***.net and I'll send you a copy.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:06 AM
Marks69BB
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Try this...

Unbolt the sidetube hardware that clamps them to the collectors and to the frame rails. Then, soak the header collector/side tube joint generously with PB Blaster over night. Wrap the sidetube ends in rags to protect your paint and, with the header portions still bolted to the heads, move the sidetubes around in small circles and rocking them up and down while pulling them toward the rear of the car. They should come off with a little work.

If you plan to reinstall them, make sure you coat the joint with hi-temp antisieze before reassembly.

Last edited by Marks69BB; 05-28-2007 at 03:08 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To UPDATE: Hooker sidepipe removal

Quick Reply: UPDATE: Hooker sidepipe removal