C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Factory Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:34 PM
dennisb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 72 Factory Radiator

What radiator would have been in a 1972 with the base 200hp, 4 sp, and no A/C? Was there a part number stamped somewhere on the radiator?

Was there an option for a different radiator in this configuration?
Old 05-21-2007, 10:59 PM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Gm#3155316
Old 05-22-2007, 09:08 AM
dennisb
Instructor

Thanks for the part number. Where can I find a description of the part and it's dimensions? And where would I find the part number on the radiator itself?

Here's why I ask. The radiator was replaced with a Zip products replacement radiator by the previous owner but it does not fit within the side radiator support seals. There's a 1/2" gap on the passenger side. The bottom posts are in the holes in the radiator support so it seems to be installed correctly. I have the box the replacement radiator was shipped in and it's the correct Zip part number (for a 4sp, no A/C, base 200 hp) on the outside of the box. But there is no part # on the radiator itself. Is it possible the wrong radiator was put in the box?

I also have the radiator the previous owner took off and I'm trying to determine what it was and if it was the original radiator. I can't find any markings or part number.

I need a new upper radiator hose too. The part number is GM 368685 but that doesn't match any GM part numbers I find on any of the Corvette parts suppliers. The hose (GM 3935466) I ordered from Zip for their radiator does not fit correctly. If I'm reading things right, other vendors specify GM 3946852 for my application assuming an original copper radiator.

Anyone have any good pics of the radiator in a 72 base 200 hp, 4sp, no A/C that shows from the top, each side, and the upper radiator hose they could post or email me?

Thanks for any and all help.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:05 AM
...Roger...
Race Director

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Im sorry I cant give you much more info.In the GM parts book it said the rad. was 19".On later rad. they seem to hav a letter tab attached to them like MK or FW and so on.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:51 AM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Take a look at the DeWitt's website. They have a replacement radiator that duplicates the original Hayes radiator. The original is unusual looking in that it doesn't have traditional side tanks. The fins go right around the edges. The original radiator is aluminum also.

Rick B.
Old 05-22-2007, 12:28 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 72LS1Vette
Take a look at the DeWitt's website. They have a replacement radiator that duplicates the original Hayes radiator. The original is unusual looking in that it doesn't have traditional side tanks. The fins go right around the edges. The original radiator is aluminum also.

Rick B.
Go to DeWitts and know you are getting the correct radiator that fits perfectly and offers the best performance available also.
Tom can also supply you with the correct upper rad hose you need.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:12 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BarryK
Go to DeWitts and know you are getting the correct radiator that fits perfectly and offers the best performance available also.
Tom can also supply you with the correct upper rad hose you need.
Good point about the upper hose. Autozone, Advance Auto and NAPA all have part numbers for the upper hose and none of the hoses are the right one. I was able to get a correct lower hose from NAPA.

Rick B.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:32 PM
dennisb
Instructor

Thanks guys. If I were in the market for a new radiator, Dewitts is the first place I'd go! But the radiator that is currently in the car is relatively new and I'm not trying to replace it. I'm just trying to establish what was in the car from the factory and it's overall dimensions to make sure the Zip replacement is the correct one as there are no part numbers on it to verify.

I do have an expansion tank. Was the original radiator aluminim or copper?

Perhaps I should just call Dewitts and at least get the right hose based on the radiator I have.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:52 PM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In 72 the base motor with manual 4 speed had an aluminum radiator metal shroud everything else had a copper radiator plastic shroud except a ZR-1 or ZR-2.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:01 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dennisb
Thanks guys. If I were in the market for a new radiator, Dewitts is the first place I'd go! But the radiator that is currently in the car is relatively new and I'm not trying to replace it. I'm just trying to establish what was in the car from the factory and it's overall dimensions to make sure the Zip replacement is the correct one as there are no part numbers on it to verify.

I do have an expansion tank. Was the original radiator aluminim or copper?

Perhaps I should just call Dewitts and at least get the right hose based on the radiator I have.
If it looks like this, only black, it is an original radiator replacement:

http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=248
Old 05-22-2007, 09:39 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

What radiator would have been in a 1972 with the base 200hp, 4 sp, and no A/C? Was there a part number stamped somewhere on the radiator?

Was there an option for a different radiator in this configuration?
You seem to be getting all the answers but they are coming in small pieces one item at a time. Let me help....
68-72 cars with no options regarding trans, AC, or engine, received the aluminum radiator 3155316 which uses the aluminum surge tank 3016340
If you paid about $300 for the Zip radiator, then you got a copper/brass unit. Aside from the fit problem you are having, expect cooling issues too. Read this http://www.dewitts.com/pages/whyaluminum.asp
....and if you think that is just propaganda, then read this one
http://www.dewitts.com/pages/testimonials.asp?catID=1
if you don't want to spend the big money to get the GM reproduction, then take a look at this one...
http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product...asp?ProdID=272

In order for any radiator to fit your core support you need the lower mounting pins exactly 11" apart, the over all length of the radiator should be 22.5" (the 18" refers to the core or fin area) and the total height should be 16.7" maximum. Thickness can range from 2.25 to 3". The factory radiator had no filler neck, as the cap was on the tank.
This is the factory correct upper hose
http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product....asp?ProdID=48\
and this is the correct lower hose
http://www.dewitts.com/pages/product....asp?ProdID=56
Both these hoses have the GM printing and the lower has the internal spring as original.
Hope this helps
Old 05-23-2007, 12:12 PM
dennisb
Instructor

Thank you Tom ! Just to clarify, the previous owner purchased the radiator from Zip and installed it. I did take some photos and emailed them to Zip to see if they could tell me if it is the correct radiator and installed correctly. Since I am not the original purchaser, I don't know what to expect from them.

I've also emailed the previous owner to try to get some further info on the install and the old radiator. The prior radiator taken out does not look like your reproduction one (GM 3155316) so I now suspect it is not the original radiator. It has smooth sides. I can't find any part number markings on it. It too may have been a generic replacement.

The hose you referred me to on your site does not show the GM number. Before I send the one I have back to Zip (GM 3935466) and order it from you, I want to make sure it's not the same one your suggesting.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:46 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

The hose you referred me to on your site does not show the GM number. Before I send the one I have back to Zip (GM 3935466) and order it from you, I want to make sure it's not the same one your suggesting.
Mine has the exact same number and it is correct for the aluminum radiator. Obviously the problem is not the hose but rather the replacement radiator.

Get notified of new replies

To 72 Factory Radiator

Quick Reply: 72 Factory Radiator