C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-Zee Fit vs Flex-Fit vs True Flex bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:26 PM
RobfromME
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default E-Zee Fit vs Flex-Fit vs True Flex bumpers

Good afternoon, all,

I have a 1974 Corvette that needs both front and rear bumpers replaced. Does anyone have direct experience with any of the various flexible fiberglass bumpers, such as:
E-Zee Fit (ACI, Mid America)
Flex-Fit (Ecklers)
TruFlex (Zip Corvette, Corvette Central, Rik's Corvette, Toledo Pro)

Any comments, suggestions, experience, or other information to help me make an educated decision would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance for your interest.

Regards,
Rob

Last edited by RobfromME; 05-10-2007 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 12:32 PM
S489
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why are you ruling out fiberglass bumpers?
Old 05-10-2007, 12:43 PM
Ron71
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 59 Posts

I used the flex fit on the back of my 74. It is a true 2 piece unit and had enough flex in that I was able to get it to line up with no modifications to the body. As far as the bumper I drilled the mounting holes in the bumper and then ovaled them out to give a little more fitting adjustment. Be sure to pick up the stainlees bumper bolt kit.

The trueflex I believe is a single piece with a seam to simulate the split bumper.
Old 05-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Freepop
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same year and this project is next on my list
Old 05-17-2007, 08:56 PM
tjhuyser
Pro

Originally Posted by RobfromME
Good afternoon, all,

I have a 1974 Corvette that needs both front and rear bumpers replaced. Does anyone have direct experience with any of the various flexible fiberglass bumpers, such as:
E-Zee Fit (ACI, Mid America)
Flex-Fit (Ecklers)
TruFlex (Zip Corvette, Corvette Central, Rik's Corvette, Toledo Pro)

Any comments, suggestions, experience, or other information to help me make an educated decision would be most helpful.

Thank you in advance for your interest.

Regards,
Rob
I'll sell him my original off my 75
Old 05-17-2007, 10:17 PM
ikesterx
Instructor

I just installed a truflex front bumper and man was that a PITA. Looks really good now but I wrestled with that thing for a week...be prepared to alter the holes for fitment and use bondo to seal an inevitable gap. Everything works best if you do it in conjunction with a new paint job.

Last edited by ikesterx; 05-17-2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-18-2007, 09:16 AM
S489
Burning Brakes

ikesterx: I just installed a truflex front bumper and man was that a PITA. . .
ikesterx, your flex bumper fit and bodywork final product looks great.

i elected to install the f/g, but at the time, truflex and others were just coming out. it's been long enough now, and i wonder if the flex type were worth the extra $$$. i had the original urethane bumpers 'till they cracked, but before that, it the front got 'knerfed, the paint always cracked no matter what. then i had to sand, do urethane repairs sometimes, and repaint with flex agent. one friday, someone's hubcap came off their car on the freeway (in the oncoming lane) and hit my f/g spoiler taking out about a palm size chunk. i made the repair and repaint over the weekend; lot's easier than the bumper repairs. i also knew that when looking for new bumpers, i prefered to work the bumper to fit the car as much as possible. fitting the bumpers that i bought was time consuming too, but were not the most expensive - looked great in the ad, but didn't fit perfectly, and not just a minor misfit on the rear - no way would i have worked the body to fit those bumpers!

anyway, i'm wondering if anyone has had any experience where, after installation, the flex type has proven to be the better choice???
Old 05-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you right now. I'm debating on the ACI bumper or the Toledo Pro flex for the '76 front bumper realizing that they both are going to require filling gaps with "kity hair" etc to fit properly. Supporting vendor Wilcox has some good prices on the Toledo Pro, I'm just not familiar with the quality of the ACI or Toledo to make an informed decision.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 05-18-2007, 02:16 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Default Vader Vette

Flex fit You will get A discount If you buy both at the same time .One good thing tha back goes on in one day not three.Its way eaiser.I used them on my 75 they look so good I havent even painted them yet .I just shine em using mothers polish.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

Lon, can you confirm that your Flex fits are by Toledo Pro. I think ACI's flex bumpers go by a similar name as well.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:29 PM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Default Vader

Toledo pro. heres your http://www toledopro.com/truflex.html

Get notified of new replies

To E-Zee Fit vs Flex-Fit vs True Flex bumpers

Quick Reply: E-Zee Fit vs Flex-Fit vs True Flex bumpers