C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a question for engine gurus (long question)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 10:04 PM
canadian73
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a question for engine gurus (long question)

i finally made the move and bought a brand new zz-383 . i,m picking it up at my friendly gm wholesaler tomorrow . i,ve also bought a performance product air gap intake manifold , a 3310 holley carb and a set of htc hedman headers for the fast burn heads . i was planning to use my original points distributor + a mallory hywire box . here,s my problem , i looked at the LARS timing paper where he said that all small block needs 36 or 38 degres except those who used fast burn heads . i saw in the specs of the zz on the net that the total timing must be 29 degres , is that possible and can i still use the vacuum advance thanks
Old 04-19-2007, 11:05 PM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need to watch this thread.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:05 AM
msb184
Instructor

Default Advance

With all due respect, you cannot make blanket statementslike" all of some eng. is going to best with X advance". 3 things.... you motor will "feel" better on the st. with some kind if a double pumper carb,especially with lower gears. timing must be adjusted on each engine & sooner or later you will throw the vac. adv. away take the dist to someone for a correct curve installed.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:25 AM
69vettester
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by canadian73
i finally made the move and bought a brand new zz-383 . i,m picking it up at my friendly gm wholesaler tomorrow . i,ve also bought a performance product air gap intake manifold , a 3310 holley carb and a set of htc hedman headers for the fast burn heads . i was planning to use my original points distributor + a mallory hywire box . here,s my problem , i looked at the LARS timing paper where he said that all small block needs 36 or 38 degres except those who used fast burn heads . i saw in the specs of the zz on the net that the total timing must be 29 degres , is that possible and can i still use the vacuum advance thanks

Ok, I understand your question. I saw that same remark from gmpp, "total timing 29deg. @ 3000 RPM's for this engine" and was going to PM Lars about it today.
So Far I can only say this in response to your post ...Im using the zz383 bottom end only, everything else is aftermarket so Im not completely sure the 29deg timing pertains to my engine.
But Ill say this.. Ive always used... W/Vac disconnected 12deg init.@900rpm's and set my distributor springs and stop for 36deg all in@ 3000rpm's and timed it for that! My engine only has a couple hour breakin running and dont have the all in timing with Vac disconnected set yet. Maybe Lars will see this and Chime in, If not I may PM him this evening..
By The Way, Thanks for posting this question It was surprised to see it..coincidence

oops..Disregard my reply, I just reread and saw that Lars Paper already indicates the exception for fast burn heads.

Your engine will tune differently..Go "Help Lars" he may have advise on dialing in your configuration..

Last edited by 69vettester; 04-20-2007 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:06 AM
machineman
Intermediate

There are several factors that affect total timing and combustion chamber efficiency is one of the major ones. The more efficient the chamber, the less spark lead you need. The fast burn heads have a superior combustion chamber and thus require less timing.

By the way, do you really want to run points? If you want to use the original distributor, at least put an electronic upgrade in it; you will benefit greatly from that. Also, if you can take the 3310 back, do so. A small double pumper or a street avenger would be much better.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:34 AM
maroon67
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am also in the process of setting up my ZZ383. Go to Gilbert Chevrolet's website they set up and sell stock and modified ZZ383. They have some good info on setting up this engine on their web site's discussion board.

Some of the info I have found to be consistent on this setup is:
1) Disconect and plug the vacuum advance
2) Total timing 31/32degrees in by 3000rpm
3) If using your orig. distributor you will need to use a melonized distributor gear due to the roller cam.

Be careful with intake choice and hood clearance on your vette.

I will also be watching with interest as I continue to finalize purchases for my install. I hope others with first hand experience will share their info.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:38 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The 29 degrees is without vacuum advance, so it will have more advance at cruise with the vacuum can connected. This is fine. Set it up like any other distributor, following Lars' paper. Just substitute "29" where Lars has "36".

BTW, see if you can return the intake. You meant "proffesional products", I guess? That's a made in china POS. Bad core shift on those + you're driving quality companies out of business. Get a quality intake like Edelbrock, Weiand etc.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:43 AM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
BTW, see if you can return the intake. You meant "proffesional products", I guess? That's a made in china POS. Bad core shift on those + you're driving quality companies out of business. Get a quality intake like Edelbrock, Weiand etc.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:41 PM
canadian73
Advanced

[QUOTE=machineman;1559901173]There are several factors that affect total timing and combustion chamber efficiency is one of the major ones. The more efficient the chamber, the less spark lead you need. The fast burn heads have a superior combustion chamber and thus require less timing.

By the way, do you really want to run points? If you want to use the original distributor, at least put an electronic upgrade in it; you will benefit greatly from that. Also, if you can take the 3310 back, do so. A small double pumper or a street avenger would be much better.[/QUO i,ve always thought that the 3310 was one of the best all around carbs . the zz engine have a somewhat mild cam and i got a long gearing 3.08 to 1 . i was under the impression that this is one good choice . is the avenger a better carb for me and why ? thanks phil
Old 04-20-2007, 11:51 PM
canadian73
Advanced

Originally Posted by 69vettester
Ok, I understand your question. I saw that same remark from gmpp, "total timing 29deg. @ 3000 RPM's for this engine" and was going to PM Lars about it today.
So Far I can only say this in response to your post ...Im using the zz383 bottom end only, everything else is aftermarket so Im not completely sure the 29deg timing pertains to my engine.
But Ill say this.. Ive always used... W/Vac disconnected 12deg init.@900rpm's and set my distributor springs and stop for 36deg all in@ 3000rpm's and timed it for that! My engine only has a couple hour breakin running and dont have the all in timing with Vac disconnected set yet. Maybe Lars will see this and Chime in, If not I may PM him this evening..
By The Way, Thanks for posting this question It was surprised to see it..coincidence

oops..Disregard my reply, I just reread and saw that Lars Paper already indicates the exception for fast burn heads.

Your engine will tune differently..Go "Help Lars" he may have advise on dialing in your configuration..
thanks 69 vettester . i wish to that lars chime in , i think i,ve seen a thread where he said that points distributor combined with an ignition box are pretty good performers . they just need a little more maintenance
Old 04-21-2007, 08:11 AM
canadian73
Advanced

Originally Posted by maroon67
I am also in the process of setting up my ZZ383. Go to Gilbert Chevrolet's website they set up and sell stock and modified ZZ383. They have some good info on setting up this engine on their web site's discussion board.

Some of the info I have found to be consistent on this setup is:
1) Disconect and plug the vacuum advance
2) Total timing 31/32degrees in by 3000rpm
3) If using your orig. distributor you will need to use a melonized distributor gear due to the roller cam.

Be careful with intake choice and hood clearance on your vette.

I will also be watching with interest as I continue to finalize purchases for my install. I hope others with first hand experience will share their info.
thanks maroon 67 .i already have the mellonized gear but most important with these specs , i now have a starting point . about the (professionnal products) intake you are right . i didnt check the appearance as i took the box and leave . now i can tell you that it,s the crappiest piece of **** i,ve ever seen and i ordered an edelbrock rpm air gap and going to return the prof. products to china or to hell ,i dont care .
Old 04-21-2007, 11:05 AM
69vettester
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks maroon 67 .i already have the mellonized gear but most important with these specs , i now have a starting point . about the (professionnal products) intake you are right . i didnt check the appearance as i took the box and leave . now i can tell you that it,s the crappiest piece of **** i,ve ever seen and i ordered an edelbrock rpm air gap and going to return the prof. products to china or to hell ,i dont care .
canadian73, Good Choice with the edelbrock RPM AirGap , Please Be aware Edelbrock makes two vesions of this Manifold. One is a "Vortec" Version, That May be the one you Need? Do some research about the Fastburns and The Correct Edelbrock Manifold for them, Just to be sure!

Also, I think Machineman and Zwede's Comments are right on the Money Over these issues...

Tom

P.S. Im Not One of the "engine Gurus" on the forum..But I have researched The GMPP engines, Components ,and Possibilities to the Max. Then took the Plunge and Built up a ZZ383 from the Shortblock. The OE roller Block and the ability to Use OE roller valvetrain Parts was what really appealed to Me.

Last edited by 69vettester; 04-21-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:15 PM
David Ey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
The 29 degrees is without vacuum advance, so it will have more advance at cruise with the vacuum can connected. This is fine. Set it up like any other distributor, following Lars' paper. Just substitute "29" where Lars has "36". . Get a quality intake like Edelbrock, Weiand etc.
Good advise. I have this same engine with Holly 750 and GM intake.
Went with the MSD eCurve dist. for the rev limit feature and ease of advance changes.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:35 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Canadian73...love you avatar pic...I will always have a soft spot in my heart for "Jungle Pam"....Jim was pretty crude with her, but still she followed him everywhere. He was a wild one, but helped drag racing to become what it is today.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:18 PM
maroon67
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As 69 Vettester suggested, Yes you WILL need the vortec style intake with fastburn heads. Unless you have a big block hood I don't think the air gap intake will fit as it is too tall. Check the Edelbrock catalog/web site to be sure. It won't fit most C2's but I am not as familar with C3's. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:42 PM
canadian73
Advanced

Originally Posted by big_G
Canadian73...love you avatar pic...I will always have a soft spot in my heart for "Jungle Pam"....Jim was pretty crude with her, but still she followed him everywhere. He was a wild one, but helped drag racing to become what it is today.
i was a great fan of jungle . he used to match race a lot in the early seventies at a track nearby my home and he was always king of the show . what to say about pam ? she was a show by herself and yes , sometime jim was not always right with her .

Get notified of new replies

To a question for engine gurus (long question)

Quick Reply: a question for engine gurus (long question)