C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless Headers for $199???? Who knows about these?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:37 PM
Sharkboy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stainless Headers for $199???? Who knows about these?

...the little guy on my right shoulder is telling me that I am old enough to know that you get what you pay for. The little guy on my left shoulder is telling me not to listen to him and to blindly dive on what appears to be an excellent value.

I am asking forum members for their keen insight before I even contact the vendor.

Has anyone ever seen or heard anything about these?

Thanks, Curt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=330108997640

Last edited by Sharkboy; 04-15-2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: The link might help.....
Old 04-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Curt, read the guys feed back and see what else he sold. You maybe able to contact a buyer & ask if his product is any good. They look good but you want to hear from someone who installed them a while ago. Find out how they are holding up. G/L let us know what you do.
Jim
Old 04-15-2007, 06:02 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

You can get stainless tubing that is mighty thin. I didn't see him mention the gauge of the tubing or thickness of the header flange, but maybe I missed it. If this is the real deal then this guy should be rich in about a week.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:15 PM
FRSTR90
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ratflinger
You can get stainless tubing that is mighty thin. I didn't see him mention the gauge of the tubing or thickness of the header flange, but maybe I missed it. If this is the real deal then this guy should be rich in about a week.

Besides I've learned the hard way many times, it's better to spend what looks to be more money because in the end it will be cheaper... If you buy those, maybe in a month or so, you might have to replace them.

If your looking for a good stainless steel header you might have to go with the Hooker header sidepipes... If you're looking for a cheap good looking header, you might want to try http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku The header is not the thickest gauge and thickest flange, but it seems to hold up pretty good on my dad's vette.

Hedman Hedders make probably one the heaviest while still being quite cheap, but I believe you might have to make a small modification.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

John

Last edited by FRSTR90; 04-15-2007 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:59 AM
Sharkboy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jims79
Curt, read the guys feed back and see what else he sold. You maybe able to contact a buyer & ask if his product is any good. They look good but you want to hear from someone who installed them a while ago. Find out how they are holding up. G/L let us know what you do.
Jim
I checked into things. The guy has Excellent feedback and sells a lot of stainless exhaust products and accessories for many different cars. I sent him an inquiry and got a prompt reply back...

Hi Curt

The pipe is 1.5mm in thickness
The flange is 3/8" in thickness
The headers are generics, manufactured in China

So the tubing is 16 gauge (right?), the flange is 3/8, the headers are made in China generics. The price is outstanding, his buyers are happy and they just look great.

After all this, I've decided not to be the guy that buys Chinese headers for an old school Corvette to save $$$!!!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:12 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharkboy
I checked into things. The guy has Excellent feedback and sells a lot of stainless exhaust products and accessories for many different cars. I sent him an inquiry and got a prompt reply back...

Hi Curt

The pipe is 1.5mm in thickness
The flange is 3/8" in thickness
The headers are generics, manufactured in China

So the tubing is 16 gauge (right?), the flange is 3/8, the headers are made in China generics.
I think TUBING that's at 1.5mm is much closer to 17g than 16. I think if it's SHEET STEEL, that 1.5mm is very close to 16g.

Curiously, some stainless under-sink P-traps advertized at 17g ... and some stainless edelbrock cat-back exhausts advertized at 17g ... and stainless hooker headers advertized at 18g. Seems to me, his 1.5mm stainless tubes are adequate thickness ... but it's anyone's guess about his welds or fit?
Old 04-19-2007, 10:29 AM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

1.5mm is roughly .060" - thick enough, thicker than my SS Hooker headers....

I'm not very impressed with the welds on my Hookers and who knows where they were manufactured....

At least this seller is honest and tells you that it's made in China.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:26 AM
lil75vette
Racer

anyone get anything else on this... looks pretty... interesting ....
Old 04-20-2007, 08:26 AM
Mike Bartlett
Cruising

Default Chinese pipes

I asked seller,thru ebay,if they had any other sets avail.I have n ot gotten a reply.Does anyone know a owner of these headers? It has got my attention,but I do have ?
Old 04-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Mike Bartlett
Cruising

Default chinese pipes

Does anyone know a ph.# for the seller?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

we live in a global economy......where even American cars are made in Mexico and Canada, and Japanese cars are made in America....if the hedders are of good quality buy them....you still have good old USA workers delivering them..... buying gas to deliver them....and fixing trucks to deliver them.....etc.etc.etc
Old 04-20-2007, 12:09 PM
Fubba
Pro

Originally Posted by bobs77vet
we live in a global economy......where even American cars are made in Mexico and Canada, and Japanese cars are made in America....if the hedders are of good quality buy them....you still have good old USA workers delivering them..... buying gas to deliver them....and fixing trucks to deliver them.....etc.etc.etc
Free market. Don't listen to these goons about not buying from other countries. If we tried to self-exist within this country, we would be poor morons because of our ridiculous government and lack of resources. I say buy them. You can't beat $200 for a set of stainless steel headers.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Mike Bartlett
Cruising

Default Chinese headers

How do I know if more are available,Can't make contact with seller.Can anyone help me out? regards,Mike
Old 04-20-2007, 01:59 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Mike let it marinate a little. I know on fridays I try to do as little as possible. Rather than contacting the seller why not wait a week or two and contact the buyer. Maybe the buyer will be cool enough to tell you if the quality and fitement was good. Better yet maybe he'll post here.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:42 PM
lil75vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike Bartlett
How do I know if more are available,Can't make contact with seller.Can anyone help me out? regards,Mike
i can help... give me two minutes to pull the link up. He has other sets up on ebay...

ok.. try this... it is a search within his auctions...
next time just click the view seller's other auctions link
http://motors.search.ebay.com/search...e=search&fgtp=

better yet maybe Mike will buy them and let us know!!

Last edited by lil75vette; 04-20-2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: put the link in...
Old 04-20-2007, 03:31 PM
Niart01
Instructor

Default I took the plunge

Being me, I was going to buy some less expensive headers and have them jet coated. SOoooo... I went ahead and bought these and will have them shipped to me. I Have a set of reconditioned heads, and an aluminium Intake to put on. I also bought into the HEI dist group-buy to get my tach working again. While I'm at it......You know the drill. My assignment will be to fit these, and report if they are worth the money.
We shall see what we shall see. I will then have a stainless exaust system welded up by IGGYs. Any of you Chicago people know about IGGY's.
I plan on changing out the heads next week as the weather has FINNALLY gotten to the point that we can work outside again.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Fathom 427
Intermediate

Hey Niart, Chicago guy here and new to owning a Vette. What's Iggys?

Get notified of new replies

To Stainless Headers for $199???? Who knows about these?

Old 04-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Mike Bartlett
Cruising

Default Chinese headers

Well, I just bought the mystery headers using my pay pal acct.I will report when I recv. them.
Old 04-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Niart01
Instructor

Default Iggys

They are at 7230 W Montrose in Norrage. They have been there since cars were invented. The do excellent work but are not cheap. I would have them fab up a set of exhaust pipes for my 73. If I had them custom make headers they would be BIG BUCKS. The engine is pretty tame and not worth that kind of money. They will put in an X or H pipe and work with stainless. For my money they are one of the best exhaust place you will ever find.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:14 PM
Sharkboy
Instructor

Default Goons, morons and the New World Order as it relates to cheap stainless headers...

Originally Posted by Fubba
Free market. Don't listen to these goons about not buying from other countries. If we tried to self-exist within this country, we would be poor morons because of our ridiculous government and lack of resources. I say buy them. You can't beat $200 for a set of stainless steel headers.
Fubba -

First of all, let me clear the air and say I love my Chinese Les Paul copy. I'm serious. I am a willing participant in the free market when the design rip offs (aka GENERIC) have quality that is as good the price.

Now about your name calling. Leave it to us goons and morons to have to explain the obvious to the "progressive thinkers" out there. The reservations I expressed were about quality and fit. Nothing but that.

I really hope these work out great for everyone that took the plunge. After all, I started this post and got people looking into it. Once I discovered their origin, I chose to cool my jets until I learned more.

If these turn out to be high quality on top of the great price then I'll be buyin' me some friggin' Chinese generic Corvette headers! If they turn out to be better used for trendy garage wind chimes all of us can scratch our collective heads and wonder why that famous Chinese exhaust header R&D didn't result in a better product. Remember Sharkboy had some reservations about quality so he used his $200 for a down payment on a stunning new Chery. (another stolen design)

Now about about America not having any resources... Oh yeah, Peace/Out and vote Republican.

Quick Reply: Stainless Headers for $199???? Who knows about these?