C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will this oil pan work?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 AM
Tumarr
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Will this oil pan work?

I was wondering if you guys think this oil pan will fit in a 1979 corvette. I am putting a Gen 5 big block in there and was wondering if this might cause me fitting headaches. Thanks. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-B...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 04-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Tumarr
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I have a 73 with a 454 engine. I will need a new oil pan in the near future. I am looking at some and found that many oil pans exclude the Corvette on the list of GM cars they fit. As in fits all 68 - 74 454 Chevelle, Monte Carlo, etc....EXCEPT Corvettes. I am thinking that their is a clearance issue there somewhere. So for getting this oil pan on line, I would ask for some additional infomraiton on the model number, then cross reference it against the manuf. catalog to see if it will fit.

kdf
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 AM
sxr6
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes it would be nice if some-one would post what DOES & what DOESN'T fit in BB vette oil pans!

I am hoping to use the pan of the donor truck block & have gotton as many yes's as I have no's whether it will fit or not????
Old 04-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by sxr6
Yes it would be nice if some-one would post what DOES & what DOESN'T fit in BB vette oil pans!

I am hoping to use the pan of the donor truck block & have gotton as many yes's as I have no's whether it will fit or not????
I can't say for sure in other applications but on my '71 the stock 6 quart pan on a ZZ502 will creat interference problems with the stock power steering cylinder. That may have been attributable to the fact that I also installed the 502 on urethane motor mounts that position the engine slightly lower than the stock mounts.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:44 AM
S489
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sxr6, i wish i could tell you, and i went through it!
just can't remember every detail with factory and aftermarket pans, but as mentioned above, things to find out are pan depth (8" was too deep on my 74; some on CF run it), PS interference (i found no one who knew this), and then there is the timing cover issue. pick out the timing cover and make sure it will work with your oil pan before buying. depending on what the rest of your combo is, this can get to be an issue. you want to keep the 1-pc seal, but most aftermarket covers don't provide for this, many are made like the Mk IV.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:06 PM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the LS-7 pan on my BB and it fits like a charm.

Get notified of new replies

To Will this oil pan work?

Quick Reply: Will this oil pan work?