C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power steering flow control (Jim Shea alert!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 11:19 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Power steering flow control (Jim Shea alert!)

I've been looking at the threads on flow control from the power steering pump, and I've come up with a question.

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
The Jeep controller can be used with the EVO valve on the Escalade pump. You don't need the entire Escalade pump you just need to unscrew the EVO valve from the back of the pump. Remove the discharge fitting from your Vette pump. Screw the EVO valve in its place. (This presupposes that you will have clearance behind your pump to fit the EVO valve.) The EVO valve does take up more space.
Just use the truck EVO valve do not use the flow control valve from inside the truck pump. The Corvette flow control valve is set for a maximum pressure relief setting of 1100 psi. Truck pump have pressure relief settings of 1450 psi. The higher truck pressure relief will most likely cause your Vette hoses to leak.

I don't know what type of speed signal the Jeep controller requires.

The Jeep system also had one other input beside vehicle speed. It had a steering wheel rotation sensor. The sensor was part of the steering column. I doesn't have to be fitted on the column it just has to be plugged into the controller box.

I did find this information in my files: The EVO valve was designed for a 250Hz PWM signal, modulated between 5% and 95% to get a 12 volt signal.

You might be able to design a simple on/off circuit that would trigger the EVO valve to minimum flow at 25 mph for instance. This might allow you to get around a controller box.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=droop+pump

I'm going to be running a Hydroboost unit and a Jeep box, and I'd like to make sure it always has full P/S fluid flow. Could the EVO valve be installed between the Hydroboost and the Jeep box to moderate the steering action but keep the Hydroboost happy?
Old 04-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

All of the EVO valves that I have seen are designed to screw right into the power steering pump discharge port and replace the original discharge fitting. So I don't know of any way to control the flow after the hydroboost unit.
Jim
Old 04-05-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
All of the EVO valves that I have seen are designed to screw right into the power steering pump discharge port and replace the original discharge fitting. So I don't know of any way to control the flow after the hydroboost unit.
Jim
I don't know if the fittings are of a different type, but couldn't the EVO valve be installed in the Hydroboost's high-pressure output port?

Does the EVO valve have threads that match the old P/S pump outputs? This is something I really want to try...
Old 04-05-2007, 08:29 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

The Hydroboost unit has a resivoir that will "accumulate" the highest pressure. The EVO valve will not deminish your braking.

Go to:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1403161
Old 04-05-2007, 09:05 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by BBShark
The Hydroboost unit has a resivoir that will "accumulate" the highest pressure. The EVO valve will not deminish your braking.

Go to:
I knew it had the accumulator, but it will lose pressure after a few pumps of the brakes. I was just trying to further foolproof the system.

Now I just need to know where I can find the Caddy and Jeep parts needed.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:24 PM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
I knew it had the accumulator, but it will lose pressure after a few pumps of the brakes. I was just trying to further foolproof the system.

Now I just need to know where I can find the Caddy and Jeep parts needed.

You need to read that thread more carefully. The accumulator on a Hydroboost will not loose pressure "after a few pumps". The EVO valve is a variable flow bypass valve.

You need a few other things that you mentioned. You need a VSS, steering position sensor and an understanding of how the system works.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:44 AM
0Corvette Engineering
Former Vendor

Speedway motors sells fixed size, valves for the pumps. They require AN hoses though I believe.

You buy a couple, try them out and find the one you like the best
Old 04-06-2007, 11:39 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

You need to read that thread more carefully. The accumulator on a Hydroboost will not loose pressure "after a few pumps". The EVO valve is a variable flow bypass valve.

You need a few other things that you mentioned. You need a VSS, steering position sensor and an understanding of how the system works.
Sorry...I was just going from memory of past Hydroboost threads. VSS won't be a problem, I want to install an aftermarket electronic cruise control. Did you ever figure out how to get the EVO working?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:44 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Go to:
Looking back at that thread, I wonder if a circuit like this: http://www.elecfree.com/electronic/a...eed-indicator/ could be adapted to trip the EVO valve at a given speed.

That's an RPM indicator, not a speed indicator. I'm trying to find one that does something similar based on VSS input.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
Looking back at that thread, I wonder if a circuit like this: http://www.elecfree.com/electronic/a...eed-indicator/ could be adapted to trip the EVO valve at a given speed.

That's an RPM indicator, not a speed indicator. I'm trying to find one that does something similar based on VSS input.
The more I think about it, it's a frequency switch that should work fine with a VSS input. Any suggestions on using it to close an EVO valve at a certain speed?

Last edited by I'm Batman; 04-30-2007 at 08:37 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Power steering flow control (Jim Shea alert!)

Quick Reply: Power steering flow control (Jim Shea alert!)