C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dumb question regarding oil and filter...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Leos 81
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dumb question regarding oil and filter...

Hey all, sorry for what's probably a very stupid question, but I'm about to restart my car from winter storage and want to know... is there any reason I need to change the oil or filter after storage of 4 to 5 months? I changed the oil and filter before storing, so both were fresh at the time. I have always changed my oil and filter before and after winter storage, but I'm just wondering if post storage is necessary.

Does anything in the oil settle or maybe change chemically during that length of time and due to the cold weather, or should I be able to just fire it up and not worry? I suppose it's possible for the oil to break down due to the Chicago cold temps and length of time that makes it important to change the oil after storage, but I want to confirm this before I bother.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 04-02-2007, 06:14 PM
bluthundr
Burning Brakes

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Nothing really changes just sitting there. There are complex winter storage and removal checklists some people go through. I park it in the winter, start it back up in the spring. Thats it.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:52 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 280 Posts

Although I did manage to find an excuse to turn it over for a minute and then pump & start it about once a week thru the winter. Just couldn't help myself.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 PM
wfo76
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start it first before changing. Already will have several seconds before the pressure comes up in the engine; no need delaying it further by changing the oil and filter first.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Leos 81
Hey all, sorry for what's probably a very stupid question, but I'm about to restart my car from winter storage and want to know... is there any reason I need to change the oil or filter after storage of 4 to 5 months? I changed the oil and filter before storing, so both were fresh at the time. I have always changed my oil and filter before and after winter storage, but I'm just wondering if post storage is necessary.

Does anything in the oil settle or maybe change chemically during that length of time and due to the cold weather, or should I be able to just fire it up and not worry? I suppose it's possible for the oil to break down due to the Chicago cold temps and length of time that makes it important to change the oil after storage, but I want to confirm this before I bother.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Changing to oil before storage is smart. As oil gets contaminated when used, it gets acidic, and can cause some degree of corrosion during storage. If it's stored fresh, it will not change at all. Go driving.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:31 PM
SEVNT6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,838 Likes on 832 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I never have changed my oil after winter storage unless it was due. And you should always change your oil hot. Dirt & crap sticks to the inside of your motor when it's cold but it gets back into the oil once it's hot..........
Old 04-02-2007, 08:48 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kansas123
Although I did manage to find an excuse to turn it over for a minute and then pump & start it about once a week thru the winter. Just couldn't help myself.
not a good idea to do that. if it's in winter storage than store it and leave it alone. starting it and letting it run for a short time is far more harmful than just letting it sit for a few months.
If you really can't control your urge to start it than at the very least let it come up to operating temp for about 15 minutes before shutting it down again.
not doing that will cause condensation to develop and stay in the exhaust system and will cause rusting problems.
your best bet if you aren't going to actually take the car for a nice 1/2 drive or so is to just let it sit and do not start it

Get notified of new replies

To Dumb question regarding oil and filter...

Quick Reply: Dumb question regarding oil and filter...