C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

STS Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 01:05 AM
msb184
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap

Originally Posted by shafrs3
I don't know of anyone on this forum who's done this, I've also been thinking about it and would have noticed. You mentioned in an earlier post that turbos are cheap, from what I've seen they're around $1300 a piece, add about $500 for the ceramic bearing versions, clearly the most expensive components, unless you're looking at Chinese units. I will investigate the possibility of using a single turbo, from what I've read they are just as affective, just not as .

Right now the biggest hurdle information wise is sizing the turbine housing to account for the heat loss incurred from the remote location, I have several books but none address this issue.
I guess cheap is a relative word. In the many years I drag raced nothing could be done to an engine that would even be close to some kind of Forced Induction. A turbo engine can triple it's naturally aspirated (NA) HP. I meant turbo's are cheap compared to other ways of increasing power. I did not mean to start a debate about whether rear turbo's work. STS has proven that they DO work. My question was has anyone installed anything similar to the STS on a C-3? I meant cheap compared to other modifications of similar power gain.
Old 04-07-2007, 03:15 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shafrs3
Based on that scenario the turbo has to be, it requires no engine hp to run. A supercharger might consume, and I'm guessing here, 50hp to generate 10psi of boost. Engine driven compressors use a lot of hp, top fuel drag compressors drain several hundred hp.
It's not totally free, it makes it harder for the engine to exhale, sure it does recoup some of the otherwise lost energy but nothing ever is for free. I would say that given the same compressor sizes the blower will be the better choice for a street car because of WHERE it makes power, you can compare HP numbers all day but I have yet to see one of these STS systems make a run and come out w/ turbos starting to kick in before 3K rpm.
The blower may cause losses at the crank but the sts kit causes losses due to it's mounting.

Quick Reply: STS Turbo