C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't get it in gear...

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:31 PM
ridikulus
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't get it in gear...

Guys, need a little help:

Just got my car ('75) back today from the shop. I had a new 350 put in it and while it was out I went ahead and had the flywheel resurfaced and the clutch replaced. Everything was great and running smooth on the way home..or so I thought. I went to put it in the garage after rinsing it off and I couldn't get it into any gear other than reverse. I don't know what mechanism allows the tranny to go into reverse but it's almost like its stuck as I can go from R to N and back to R again without lifting up on the reverse lockout handle. Or maybe it could be something else?

Any ideas on how I can get this thing back into a gear other than reverse? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Lawton79
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ridikulus

Just got my car ('75) back today from the shop. I had a new 350 put in it and while it was out I went ahead and had the flywheel resurfaced and the clutch replaced. Everything was great and running smooth on the way home..or so I thought. I went to put it in the garage after rinsing it off and I couldn't get it into any gear other than reverse. I don't know what mechanism allows the tranny to go into reverse but it's almost like its stuck as I can go from R to N and back to R again without lifting up on the reverse lockout handle. Or maybe it could be something else?

Any ideas on how I can get this thing back into a gear other than reverse? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Had a similar problem with my 79. When I put mine in any gear except reverse, it felt like the brakes were on. I found out that the linkage was crossed up underneath. A friend of mine came over and we jacked it up and he lined the linkage back up in neutral. Also he made an adjustment to it. Have not had a problem since. (The shop you had it in may of got it out of adjustment somehow. Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:24 AM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you just got it back from the shop I'd have them come flatbed it back to correct their mistake, on their dime of course.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Tommy Samuels
Racer

Originally Posted by DZRick
If you just got it back from the shop I'd have them come flatbed it back to correct their mistake, on their dime of course.
This shouldn't be your problem if it just came out of the shop.
It sounds like a linkage alignment problem though
Old 04-05-2007, 02:06 PM
68coupe
Pro

Originally Posted by ridikulus

Did they replace the pivot ball?
Thanks,
Joe
Old 04-05-2007, 02:07 PM
pws69
Melting Slicks

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 68coupe
Did they replace the pivot ball?
Thanks,
Joe
He's baaaack...