C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 10:34 PM
hobartcorvette81
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 81 wiper problem

I just bought my first vette, a '81 and I am a newbie to this forum. My problem is the wipers work sometimes and sometimes not. When the wipers are not working and I move the switch to pulse or the other speeds I hear a little buzz sound coming from the rear area behind the seats. I also hear the buzz when I move the wiper switch all the way down past the off position. I can't tell you if the buzz is there when they are working, if I get them to work again I will check. All the other power items work fine. Any ideas?

Thank you for the help!
Old 03-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by hobartcorvette81
I just bought my first vette, a '81 and I am a newbie to this forum. My problem is the wipers work sometimes and sometimes not. When the wipers are not working and I move the switch to pulse or the other speeds I hear a little buzz sound coming from the rear area behind the seats. I also hear the buzz when I move the wiper switch all the way down past the off position. I can't tell you if the buzz is there when they are working, if I get them to work again I will check. All the other power items work fine. Any ideas?

Thank you for the help!
It's the pulse controller, located in the jack compartment. Open the door, run the wiper, and feel for the right relay. There are a couple of guys on the forum that rework them. They are no longer produced. No repops either. It can be bypassed with a 16.00 dollar harness from Lectric Limited.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:22 AM
dalewilson99
Instructor

Get the jumper Big2Bird suggested. If the wipers work fine then the problem is the wiper controller or maybe the wiper switch ground. Or take the wiper controller out and test it in another 80-82. Once you know that the wiper controller is bad we can see if we can get it fixed.

Dale

Last edited by dalewilson99; 03-20-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:02 PM
hobartcorvette81
3rd Gear

Thanks for the help! Where would I find the switch ground? I'm going to try to look at it this week-end. Also, where does that new by-pass plug into? A big thanks again!!
Old 03-22-2007, 08:05 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by hobartcorvette81
Thanks for the help! Where would I find the switch ground? I'm going to try to look at it this week-end. Also, where does that new by-pass plug into? A big thanks again!!
The bypass comes with instructions. The switch ground should be a black wire coming off the switch.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 wiper problem

Quick Reply: 81 wiper problem